Transitioning from 5k to 10k

Options
So I can now confidently run 5k without any problems (yay me!!) lol
But now I'm ready for another challange!!
How do I go about training for a 10k?! Is there any programs (preferably free lol) that you guys have tried that worked for you?
I did the couch to 5k, something similar to that could definately work for me but I'm open to anything!!!

Replies

• RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    There's a couch to 10k app by pink. It's free. You probably can fast forward a few weeks tho.
  • emzypemzy93
    Options
    Thanks a lot!!!
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    probably you can run 10k at this point, at least that is how it worked for me.

just run and see how far you can go. i ran 5k after a week or two, then 10k a week after that and then 20k a couple of days later. 20 was pushing it, but if you can run 5, you can run 10 i recon.

give it a try :)
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options

just run and see how far you can go. i ran 5k after a week or two, then 10k a week after that and then 20k a couple of days later. 20 was pushing it, but if you can run 5, you can run 10 i recon.

Isn't it generally recommended to increase distance by no more than 10% each week, to reduce the risk of injury?

OP - there is also a programme called Bridge to 10k. I haven't tried it yet; I read some reviews of it and some reviewers didn't like it because it starts you off on intervals again which they felt was a step backwards.
  • Beethoven1827
    Beethoven1827 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Some fitness apps for smartphones come with assorted workout programmes already there - I know Runkeeper has a selection of 10k training programmes, depending on what sort of target time you're aiming for. I've got as far as looking at them, but no further than that - yet...!
  • kellykneppergrundy
    kellykneppergrundy Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I used active.com's smartphone app, 5K to 10K. It's great!
  • emzypemzy93
    Options
    :)
  • emzypemzy93
    Options

Lol swear?? I might give it a go for fun!! Y'know see how much my body can take!! No harm in trying...
  • sss1966
    sss1966 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I used the B210k training plan, I found it really good
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options

Lol swear?? I might give it a go for fun!! Y'know see how much my body can take!! No harm in trying...

Yeah, he's right. If you can run 5k then you can do 10k now.
    I've read it a few times,but haven't yet to put it into practice myself.
  • KatherineStar
    KatherineStar Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    download nike running app and just run! its a great app x
  • KatherineStar
    KatherineStar Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    if you can do 5 you can do 10.
    the hardest part for me is always the first mile, after that your body gets into a rhythm and you can run for a long time. x
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    I upped my miles by running one to two miles more a week, it took me less than a month to get from a 5k to a 10k and it wasn't at all painful.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I upped my miles by running one to two miles more a week, it took me less than a month to get from a 5k to a 10k and it wasn't at all painful.

This is pretty much what I did. I finished the 5K program and then just kept on running three days a week. I added about a half a mile to a mile to one run per week, one run I kept at about 3 miles and just tried to go faster each time and the other I kind of did what felt like needed to be done that day - usually 3 to 5 miles but at an easier pace.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I disagree with the sentiment that if you can run 5K, you can run 10K. I did the B210K and started struggling with injuries once I got over 4 miles. It took me a while to get there. Now however, I am doing fine moving up to 10+ miles. But then again, I'm old, so maybe you're younger and it would be different for you.
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I did this a few months ago. All I did was slowly start increasing my distance by a 0.5- 1 kilometer every week or two. It was easier and quicker going from 5km to 7.5km than it was going from 7.5km to 10km. ;)
  • pandsmomCheryl
    pandsmomCheryl Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I disagree with the sentiment that if you can run 5K, you can run 10K. I did the B210K and started struggling with injuries once I got over 4 miles. It took me a while to get there. Now however, I am doing fine moving up to 10+ miles. But then again, I'm old, so maybe you're younger and it would be different for you.

I completely agree...I didn't start running until age 41, so I need to ease my way in or my arthritis flares up LOL...! If you're young and nothing hurts, go for it!
  • lenniebus
    lenniebus Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I increase my "long" run each week until I go over what I'm going to race. So, I started doing 4 miles, then increased to 4.5, then 5, then 5.5 (ready for 8k). This worked well for me moving up to 8k, but I haven't done a 10 k. I also used this when training for a 15K--just increased mileage over time until I got to 10 miles--but I still struggled to be honest.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Just run.
    Increase your distance every week or so by a mile. Or something along those lines.
  • DaBossLady24
    DaBossLady24 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    bump... need these for training soon!