Need help from runners....

Options
harvo
harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
As a basketball official I have to sprint, walk, jog, slide and stop to change direction in spurts. I have started to feel the burn in my upper thigh. What are the best stretches I can do pre-game or during to help with this? I have too many games in too few days to have this pain and restricted movement.

Replies

• LEmilyK
    LEmilyK Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    There are a number of different stretches you can do to help with the tension from running. Check out http://www.fitnessblender.com. They have multiple stretches and workouts for all areas of the body. Hope this helps.
  • gdrmuzak
    gdrmuzak Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    As a bball official myself, I've never had quad issues like you mention, but I'd suggest pulling your leg up behind you by your ankle. Stand against a wall or chair if you need help balancing.

Where I have issues is my ITBand and piriformis and sometimes the hams, so I stretch those in the AM and PM to start and end my day. You can stretch those laying down in bed or sitting up and crossing your legs. Search piriformis stretches.

Also, some guys I know have purchased special muscle "rollers" to warm and stretch the leg muscles before and after games. At the last massage I got, the therapist asked if I had a rolling pin at home to do what I'd seen the guys do.
  • harvo
    Options
    As a bball official myself, I've never had quad issues like you mention, but I'd suggest pulling your leg up behind you by your ankle. Stand against a wall or chair if you need help balancing.

Where I have issues is my ITBand and piriformis and sometimes the hams, so I stretch those in the AM and PM to start and end my day. You can stretch those laying down in bed or sitting up and crossing your legs. Search piriformis stretches.

Also, some guys I know have purchased special muscle "rollers" to warm and stretch the leg muscles before and after games. At the last massage I got, the therapist asked if I had a rolling pin at home to do what I'd seen the guys do.

I have bad knees and I am wondering if that is part of the pain but my thighs and calves are huge from lifting years ago. I purchased a patella band but it does not fit either. The last couple games I have tried that and my muscles actually cramped, has that happened to you? I have 22 games in 14 days, 4 games and 2 days are past now but with my game Sat being a JV girls game for a school known for their ability to press I have to feel like I have fresh legs since I do a lot of baseball/softball games for this AD.
  • harvo
    Options
    There are a number of different stretches you can do to help with the tension from running. Check out http://www.fitnessblender.com. They have multiple stretches and workouts for all areas of the body. Hope this helps.
    I will check this out. Thanks!
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    A friend and marathon runner recommended to me this book: Master Cycling 3-time Olympic cyclist John Howard; there are some suggested stretches in the book for both cyclists and runners. They increase flexibility and range of motion. I haven't decided if I want to pay $10 for it yet.
  • Berley32
    Options
    You could also try having regualr sports massage to get rid of the latic acid in your muscles, I have suffered with my legs and have been having regular masage's and it seems to help me. Worth a try they are pain full but they work you can also try a foam roller you can buy them in spoarts shops all over after exercise use this it really helps with aches and pains. There are various excercies's on the net. http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/finder/lookup/filter/equipment/id/14/equipment/foam-roll. Hope this helps
  • harvo
    Options
    You could also try having regualr sports massage to get rid of the latic acid in your muscles, I have suffered with my legs and have been having regular masage's and it seems to help me. Worth a try they are pain full but they work you can also try a foam roller you can buy them in spoarts shops all over after exercise use this it really helps with aches and pains. There are various excercies's on the net. http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/finder/lookup/filter/equipment/id/14/equipment/foam-roll. Hope this helps

Wife is not a big fan of this idea, ran it by her the other night, but it might have to do with the idea of the only good massage therapist I know, and is reasonably priced, is my ex-girlfriend.
  • Berley32
    Options

Wife is not a big fan of this idea, ran it by her the other night, but it might have to do with the idea of the only good massage therapist I know, and is reasonably priced, is my ex-girlfriend.

Well may just get the roller and try it at home it really does help, i did a class on saturday my tigh muscles were so painful could hardly move have done, my exercises with the roller every day and legs are back to normal managed to do another class on the tuesday. holestly try it they are only £15
  • LEmilyK
    LEmilyK Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    No problem...I hope it works out!
  • SatchGallamax
    SatchGallamax Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Definitely try a foam roller if you don't already have one and don't want to hit up the ex for a rubdown.