overnights

Options
Ok i need some help.... i work 12-13 hour shifts overnight 8pm-8am. 4 days on 4 days off.... i am having a really hard time eating all my calories.... i eat one good meal a day during those 4 days and i eat lots of healthy snacks.... i usually only average about 1000 calories a day mostly from snacks...i just cannot find the time to eat..... on the 4 days im off i am right on the money....

What else can i do? Eat more snacks? a larger meal? I only get a 30 minute lunch break (sometimes) and i can't eat heavy because if i do i no longer want to work.... so thats why i stick to light snacks....

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Personally, when I am pressed for time (or nothing is appealing), I will grab an Ensure. You'll get your nutrients in and it only takes a couple of seconds to chug :)
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Make a protein shake to take with you...cram in some bananas and peanut butter and you can easily get it upwards of 400-500 cals depending on what you add.
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    You deffiantely need to eat more...because you need to be atleast 1200 calories per day

Its hard when working night shifts to get meals in, I have heard....however eating just snack.....is not healthy for any diet, but if thats the best you can do, then I guess its the best you can do....Bring some fruits to work. to add with your snack...Or prepare meals at home and carry them to work....You should be eating meals...to get your protein and veggie in there and drinking lots of water.

I have heard people complain about eating healthy when working night shift...never had to do it....but just as how you would find time to eat in the day....you need to find time to eat healthy in the nights as well...1000 calories is too low to remain healthy...especially if thats how you eat daily.

Also, eating a meal at lunch time doesnt necessarily have to be heavy...I chicken wrap, is not heavy and can be made very healthy....cup of brown rice and a form of protein is not heavy....so try little meals like that, so you can eat a proper meal more than once a day
  • fitzio1015
    fitzio1015 Posts: 168
    Options
    You deffiantely need to eat more...because you need to be atleast 1200 calories per day

Its hard when working night shifts to get meals in, I have heard....however eating just snack.....is not healthy for any diet, but if thats the best you can do, then I guess its the best you can do....Bring some fruits to work. to add with your snack...Or prepare meals at home and carry them to work....You should be eating meals...to get your protein and veggie in there and drinking lots of water.

I have heard people complain about eating healthy when working night shift...never had to do it....but just as how you would find time to eat in the day....you need to find time to eat healthy in the nights as well...1000 calories is too low to remain healthy...especially if thats how you eat daily.

Also, eating a meal at lunch time doesnt necessarily have to be heavy...I chicken wrap, is not heavy and can be made very healthy....cup of brown rice and a form of protein is not heavy....so try little meals like that, so you can eat a proper meal more than once a day

sorry when i meant snacks it consists of mostly fruits veggie peanut butter yogurt...no junk at all.....
  • kgasser
    kgasser Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    how about adding a glass of 2% milk a couple times per day? That wouldn't be "heavy" but would get you some calories AND stuff you need!
  • p_funk
    p_funk Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I too work nightshift, 6am to 6pm, and it is tought sometimes to get in the calories. What I usually do is eat some sort of breakfast in the morning when i get home, like a bowl of oatmeal or a bowl of cereal. Then my lunch/dinner, linner if you will, before going to work usually consists of around 600 calories, then I will make myself a sandwich and some kind of healthier chips like sun chips or veggie chips, to take with me to work. Between those three meals I get over 1,000 calories. The rest of the night I usually just snack on stuff like cottage cheese, some sort of fiber bar, flavored mini rice cakes and fruits. Sorry if this was not much help. I do like the shake idea, i will have to try that.