5 lbs in two days

Options
I'm new to MFP and wanted to make sure I'm on the right track. I started Monday 14th of Jan and got on the scale this morning and it reflects that I've lost 5 lbs in two days. Is this healthy, is this just water weight? I'm eathing all my alotted calories but not the calories I gain from working out. I was very hungry when I went to bed last night but didn't want to eat and then sleep on it. I've heard that if you loose too fast it will pop right back on and can also make you gain more? Help this newbee out! Thank you!

Replies

• Rachielous
    Rachielous Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hello - yes, this is normal.

People generally 'lose' quite a lot in the frist week or so.. the liklihood is that this is water weight however a loss is a loss so well done you!
  • carlayyy2308
    carlayyy2308 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    yes don't worry - i lost 9 pounds in my first week ha x
  • enigmaneo
    enigmaneo Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    7 for me
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    If you are that hungry then eat some of your exercise calories back.You should not go to sleep hungry.You won' t endure in the long run! Slow and steady wins the race.
  • slincoln2007
    Options
    I lost 8 lbs in my first 2 weeks...it gradually tapers off into a slow loss. i like to think of it as "shock to the system" weight loss. =D
  • StaceyJ2008
    StaceyJ2008 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    it's probably water, it's normal
  • deepuckett1
    deepuckett1 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    LuckyStarrGal, I suggest you make this endeavor a life change and not think of it as a diet. A person above posted "slow and steady wins the race" and they are right. Sounds like you are doing great, keep up the good work.
  • jennkain97
    jennkain97 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    This is common and not a problem. However, you SHOULD be eating back your exercise calories (at least half), especially if you're hungry! Time of day won't affect weight loss, so don't worry about eating late unless you have digestive issues.
  • annabelle1031
    Options
    1. It's really only healthy to lose 1-2lbs per week. You are correct in saying gradual weight loss is easier to keep off. That doesn't mean you're going to die because you lost 5+lbs, however you do need to eat post-workout. It's part of recovery. Something with protein and a little bit of carbs should do the trick. (nutella or peanut butter on toast w a banana is my go-to)

2. "the liklihood is that this is water weight however a loss is a loss so well done for you." NO. Hydrate hydrate hydrate...this is very dangerous and can both hamper your weight loss in the long run, as well as limit your performance when working out and sets you up for injury. Dehydrated muscles don't function properly. You may also end up cramping if your electrolytes are off.

3. Research shows it really doesn't matter what time of day you eat, as long as it is all within your calorie budget for the day. Granted you probably don't want to have a 5 course meal an hour before bed, but having a 100-200cal snack, more if you just worked out (depending on how much you burned) is perfectly healthy. It will also help your blood sugar to stay more even throughout the night, as opposed to dropping drastically and then spiking at breakfast. 5-6 smaller meals per day help to regulate your blood sugar and keeps you from getting big cravings, which can lead you to potentially over eat if you get too hungry.

Just be smart and look at the research.
  • LuckyStarrGal
    LuckyStarrGal Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your good advise! This is one reason I'm on here, we are all here to do the same thing, GET HEALTHY!
  • ajhumbird
    Options
    I save those "exercise" calories for a night time snack. Since I have been exercising I see that I am hungry at bedtime and if I do have the snack I sleep great. Just don't overindulge it and you should be fine. I lost 2 lbs last week and I eat all my calories.
  • kikirogerdalo
    Options
    hi i am new to this and still trying o ind my way round it i search foods n it not come up with what i want i been trying to add a egg mayo (extra light) small brown roll but keeps comming up with diff things any advice thanks
  • TheViperMan
    TheViperMan Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    The FIRST TIME I started dieting in 2009, I lost NINE pounds the FIRST NIGHT. I basically cut out sodas, exercised, and drank like a fish that FIRST day, and I was shocked on the scale the next day. HOWEVER, weight loss slowed GREATLY after that. You have to expect this, and not let it get you down.

The second time I tried losing weight - just last year - it took a few days to start losing it.

The further along your weight loss goes, the slower it'll take. I was losing 1 pound every 5 days at first, and now it's up to about 8 days or even more. You just have to keep going. Make it a life style - make it something you think about daily, even if you think about it while you're eating a cookie, or having a beer - just keep it in mind. Once it becomes habit, it truly will get easier.