Eliptical Machines

Options
I want to get an eliptical machine and I was wondering what is the best one for a reasonable price. After researching it, it burns a lot more calories than my treadmill. Can anyone help me???

Replies

• jmlane1981
    Options
    I want to get an eliptical machine and I was wondering what is the best one for a reasonable price. After researching it, it burns a lot more calories than my treadmill. Can anyone help me???
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    I would say a used one. I'm very picky about my ellipticals. I really only like Precors, but I'm sure there are others out there just as good. I have a friend with a Rebock that she likes. I also prefer the ones that move up and down in front.

I noticed that too (about treadmills/ellipticals) as I am not a runner (which would burn equal calories).

I decided it was cheaper to join the a really good gym than to buy an elliptical that I would use. Most the cheaper ellipticals aren't smooth. The new Precors are in the $3000-$6000 range.

Hope this helps.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    Options
    jmlane:

Ellipticals are my favorites. Here are two subjects (from the same website) about elliptical trainers>

http://www.exercise-equipment-review.org/how-many-calories-does-an-elliptical-trainer-burn

http://www.exercise-equipment-review.org/using-an-elliptical-trainer-for-weight-loss-and-fitness

The first link has a good comparison feature after the first paragraph. Click >Elliptical Trainer Review and you wil be able to compare machines. I looked through them all and came to the conclusion that is was too big an investment to make (plus I live in a 600 sq ft condo). I use the ones at the gym, and you should consider the costs of maintenance, too. They are complex machines, and the gym is always tweaking them to get them to work correctly. And they purchase the top-of-the-line elliptical trainers. In reading reviews on Amazon (by purchasers), I see that the home models are not as smooth or quiet, and since there are computerized boards (for your tracking of effort / resistance / BPM / time / steps RPM / stride length) it cold get costly having repairs done.

Most gyms have them, and they do take a few sessions to become proficient. I would say try them for a month or so and think about the pros and cons of actually owning one; then do your homework and maybe buy a maintenance agreement for possible repairs. I wonder if someone will rent one to have in your home, too.

~cm
  • lisajtxoxo
    Options
    I recently bought the Proform 330 Elliptical. It was a little over $450 after shipping and handling, which was reasonable. It's not the sturdiest one I've ever been on and it isn't as good as the ridiculously expensive ones you will find at a gym... but it does the job and that's all that matters.

My only suggestion would be to do your research, that's what I did before I bought this one. Search the web for customer reviews and see what other buyers have found. Find one with the features you would like, I made sure mine had all the basic features and a water bottle holder! And depending on how tall you are, I would get one with a long stride. The longer the stride, the better the workout.
  • jmlane1981
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I am going to join the gym with my husband tonight, so maybe I will just use theres for a while until I can figure out what I want. :flowerforyou:
  • jmlane1981
    Options
    I got on the eliptical at the gym tonight and it kicked my butt...I guess that's what I need, but I felt like I was going to die or atleast have a heart attack. I guess treadmills really don't do a whole lot for you.:sad: :devil: :sad:
  • kjllose
    kjllose Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    I will have to disagree with you jmlane. I only have a treadmill and I've lost 30 of my 55 lbs, granted I've been watching what I eat too but don't diss the treadmill, its all I have. I don't live within 30 miles of a gym, and with gas at it's current price I can't afford to drive to one every day. But ellipticals sure do cost alot and take alot of space. I really would like one, though just for something different. When I want a different workout I stack wood, go hiking,do a video, belly dance garden, whatever I can do to get going but mostly it has been walking. I'd love to be able to tone at a gym but it just isn't going to happen.
  • ariannedavis
    ariannedavis Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I must agree that treadmills are fantastic when used properly. You wouldn't expect to make many strides toward weight loss if all you did was walk on the track at the same pace, for the same amount of time every workout, would you? If you do intervals of varying inclines and speeds, you will see drastic results. I've never had a tighter butt than after running hill repeats; you can't do that on ellipticals! Not to dis ellipticals, they're great for their own reasons...If it works for you, keep it up!
  • borjanap
    borjanap Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    a treadmill is actually better for you adn it burns more calories. Your body requires more movement when running. You probably felt it more on the treadmill because you are using muscles not used before. Hope that helps :)
  • jmlane1981
    Options
    I know what you mean. I am close to a gym and just haven't been able to afford it. I have been using my treadmill and have lost almost ten lbs in one month. I just meant that I felt it more when I was on the eliptical. I guess I thought it would be a little easier because I have been using my treadmill for a while. :cry:

I got in to this gym half off just because my husband is a city employee. But from what I read, the elipticals are better on your knees and burn a lot more calories. I just felt horrible watching all the people around me doing it with such ease and yet I was struggling to make it every minute.
  • kjllose
    kjllose Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    you keep working on it and you will be the one making it look easy:smile: I'm just jealous because I can't work on one lol:wink: