Body Media

Options
Just received Body Media as a birthday gift and was just wondering how people utilize it to achieve best results. What aps are you using it with, what data are you monitoring and how do you best use it to loss weight and improve fitness?

Replies

• jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Link it to here as lots of people say entering foodis easier big you look on MFP help section you will find out more information.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Just received Body Media as a birthday gift and was just wondering how people utilize it to achieve best results. What aps are you using it with, what data are you monitoring and how do you best use it to loss weight and improve fitness?

I wore it for a week before I started really using it. That helped me to see how many calories I was really burning. I don't love the food diary that goes with it, so I just deducted 500 from the average calories for the week and then set that as my goal here. When I have days where I work out and burn a lot over my average, I eat those extra calories. If I find that I am not losing the weight I think I should, I re-average my burn to make sure I'm eating the right amount.
  • wildfirediva
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE Mine!!! I have the Body Media Fit Link. Having the data on my phone is AWESOME.

It is linked to my MFP, the food (calories and some macros) are shared with BMF and in turn when synced by computer BMF shares your activity level with MFP.

I mostly use MFP for nutrition tracking. I look to BMP for my TDEE and keep me honest with how much I should eat regardless of what I have set on MFP or BMF. If I am lazy that day I don't go below my BMR (basal metabolic rate) in calories but I don't eat above them. On very active days I stay/ only eat up to a 700-1000 calorie deficit. Essentially I look to stay in deficit daily [Burned/Burned Calories = TDEE].

If you want to "track" your exercise in MFP I recommend to do it in Exercise notes otherwise you give yourself too much calorie credit and may be tempted to eat more than you burned.

I totally geek out on my data!! Have fun!
  • travelistadiva
    travelistadiva Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE Mine!!! I have the Body Media Fit Link. Having the data on my phone is AWESOME.

It is linked to my MFP, the food (calories and some macros) are shared with BMF and in turn when synced by computer BMF shares your activity level with MFP.

I mostly use MFP for nutrition tracking. I look to BMP for my TDEE and keep me honest with how much I should eat regardless of what I have set on MFP or BMF. If I am lazy that day I don't go below my BMR (basal metabolic rate) in calories but I don't eat above them. On very active days I stay/ only eat up to a 700-1000 calorie deficit. Essentially I look to stay in deficit daily [Burned/Burned Calories = TDEE].

If you want to "track" your exercise in MFP I recommend to do it in Exercise notes otherwise you give yourself too much calorie credit and may be tempted to eat more than you burned.

This is how I use my BMF and MFP. I love it. It really keeps me honest.
  • mollov
    mollov Posts: 3
    Options
    I used one for a bit but felt it was over estimating my calorie burn. I emailed their technical help centre as it was saying I was burning loads of calories when I was in the car. I concluded that as BodyMedia is an American product it has been designed with them in mind. Think about it. They drive on the Right and mainly automatic cars. When we drive here we use our LEFT arms to change gears MANUALLY and this movement gets mistaken for running.
    I know I can get a bit hot under the collar driving but the same calorie burn as a spin class?! I think not!
    :+)
  • paperiniko
    paperiniko Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am not American and BM is the best monitor on the market. There are some activities that it overestimates but it is consistent in its error therefore it is easy to adjust. When driving especially on bumpy road it can misinterpret movement but if that is the case it is sufficient to take it off

Overall this has been the best tool along with the calorie counting app on my phone to achieve results, I would recommend it to everybody
  • jaz050465
    Options
    I used one for a bit but felt it was over estimating my calorie burn. I emailed their technical help centre as it was saying I was burning loads of calories when I was in the car. I concluded that as BodyMedia is an American product it has been designed with them in mind. Think about it. They drive on the Right and mainly automatic cars. When we drive here we use our LEFT arms to change gears MANUALLY and this movement gets mistaken for running.
    I know I can get a bit hot under the collar driving but the same calorie burn as a spin class?! I think not!
    :+)
    My thought exactly but kifit said that wasn't the case. Here is their reply.

The algorithms in the armband software were written to remove 'noise' from the armband data, like movement from bumps in the road when driving, so this should mean that you won't get much 'false' activity from periods of driving / being driven. Driving as an 'activity' in itself has been found to increase calorie burn.

For individuals who drive as part of their occupation, the extra calories burnt during driving could contribute significantly to their daily calorie total. However, for small periods of driving this shouldn't have too much of an effect. You must remember that the armband sensors pick up body temperature and sweat response which can both increase when you are stressed or anxious, so it is possible that during periods of stressful driving, your calorie burn may increase to this 3x level. I think that it is most likely that there were physiological or psychological reasons why the activity level was higher than expected. I do not feel it is neccessary to adjust your calorie burn to resting levels during this time as
  • jaz050465
    Options
    Just rebooked at my driving figures and they are very high.