Exercise at Home

Options
Hi guys & gals,

Do any of you do workouts at home? I need to increase my exercise but I don't like to run outside when it's freezing cold. What can I do at home to work out? I have an exercise video but it's more weight and strength training than cardio. Has anyone got any ideas or routines that I can use to burn some calories?

Thanks! x

Replies

• nicciranz
    Options
    My favorite at home workout is the new Les Mills Combat!! Its fun, goes fast!
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Blogilates !!!!! Do her HIIT fat melting videos 4 x in a row!

Try her other fat burning, HIIT, cardio workouts too ! You'll love them, she's the best :happy:
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Check out You Tube, they have several workout channels, such as Body Rock and Be Fit. Be Fit has a 90 program called Be Fit in 90, its a mix of cardio, strength and stretching. Good luck
  • Beckyloo80
    Beckyloo80 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    I have been doing Insanity for the past 9 weeks, a great at home workout!
  • jwuchef87
    jwuchef87 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I have dancing with the stars cardio DVD...it does 4 dances and is pretty intense; i burnt 431 cal doing 3 dances in 45 min. It is fast paced but honestly, when a dance move was too complex, I just jumped around like a crazy person to keep my heart rate up. ;)
  • wildchild06241
    wildchild06241 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I love my WII Fit. Makes exercise more like a game. I don't want to stop!
  • bossW
    bossW Posts: 2
    Options
    I really enjoy Turbo Jam and find it quite fun. Also Jillian Michael's Ripped in 30 is good.
  • wadayc
    wadayc Posts: 3
    Options
    The wife and I bought the bullet and bought a light-duty treadmill. Inclement weather, cold temperatures, and aggressive drivers were all motivators for us to stay indoors. If you have the spare cash--ha, as if anyone has spare cash, I say spring (or save up) for a favorite workout machine.

We'll be paying our treadmill off for the next couple of months, but it beats paying upwards of $30 a month per person at a gym, not including gas/time spent getting to the gym.
  • hawapatel123
    hawapatel123 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Run up and down the stairs, a garunteed sweat!
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I have Wii Fitness Games, XBox Dance Games and of course, there is always sex.
  • sjscobie1982
    Options
    Hiya

I have a cross trainer in the house as i can't get out to gym or excersize classes much anymore. I also did the Jillian Micahaels 30 day shred and lost 10lb doing that last year! I have a few other of Jillian's DVD's that are good. I also go on you tube sometimes and just search for some different types of workouts and do them. xx
  • tyrantduck
    tyrantduck Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I use my Wii Fit Plus and a mini-bike with magnetic resistance. I can use the bike while i sit on the couch and watch tv or play other games and it takes me about an hour to 90 minutes to do my full Wii Fit Plus routine. I can burn about 400 calories in 30-40 minutes on the bike and over 1000 during the Wii Fit Plus workout (gotta love my Polar FT6)
  • Julzanne72
    Julzanne72 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Turbo Fire is awesome! Chalean Extreme, Insanity, P90X-lots of options out there.
  • dlegros
    dlegros Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I'm following the Basic plan from You Are Your Own Gym at present.
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I won't run outside in the winter either, so I hit the treadmill 4X/week instead. I also have 3 Jillian Michael's videos that I do on my non-run days (I have 30 Day Shred, Shred it With Weights, and Killer Abs).
  • MelisaDonald
    MelisaDonald Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I love Gillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred - all three levels are on youtube - It's just great! I finished it before Christmas and keep coming back to it even though i'm now onto other workouts.
  • girl_brett
    girl_brett Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    There are lots of great cardio workout videos. Tae Bo is great and I just started with the Leslie Sansone walking videos. I never looked at them before, because they just didn't sound like something I wanted to do and boy was I mistaken. I'm loving the videos and she has quite a few. It's much more then just walking. I actually think I sweated more and in less time doing a 2 mile walk through the video then I got doing the Tae Bo video or actually going out an walking 2 miles. It all depends on what kind of workout you are looking to do. You can go to Collagevideo.com and they have almost every kind of workout videos and you can watch clips to see if it's something you would be intrested in.
  • mollov
    mollov Posts: 3
    Options
    I was going to the gym everyday then my other half had to have an operation and had some time at home so I had to come up with ways to work out at the flat instead.
    I must say I prefer it now as I work out early in the morning then get ready for work.
    I do INSANITY, Kettlercise DVDs and have a selection of kettlebells, bands and dumbells for circuits with an interval timer. Never underestimate bodyweight exercises, especially plyometric ones.
    As long as you are happy to create a little workout for yourself then you can get great results at home!
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    I have old vhs work out tapes lol and a few DVD's that I use to work out at home. I also have a stationary bike, free weights, stretch bands, a lot of stairs to run up and down, and a yoga ball. I have a gym membership for 20+ years now but haven't been there in quite awhile. I have to fit my exercise in between classes, studies, kids activities, house hold things etc. Its just easier for me to do my routine at home.
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Sorry if this was mentioned but have you tried tabata? No equipment and you can do it at home and its really effective cardio. Basically you do 20 second intervals, with 10 second rest, 8 times then you reset for one minute and repeat. Make sure you use a timer, it really helps, there are free ones online:

Example exercise: http://exercise.about.com/od/intervaltrainingworkouts/l/bltabatacardiohighimpact.htm

Timer: http://www.tabatatimer.com/