How do you swallow?

Options

Replies

• mmuzzatti
    mmuzzatti Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    So the follow up question is girls do you swallow or spit? (Fudge it! Somebody had to ask!)
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    If you're looking to swallow something rather long there is a technique involved:

swordswallowing3.jpg
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    If you tip your head back....you can get more down
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    Should I have included the question "what weird things have you swallowed?"

Oh I win this one.. Not me personally but my patients have swallowed some crazy stuff.... Knives,forks spoons sporks, batteries,combs, toothbrushes, hair bands , plastic wrap, rocks, pens, pencils, markers, crayons... Metal clamps ,thin chains, screws , tile, and they do this all on purpose...
  • cburn4492
    Options
    For some reason that sentence makes me like you, Windy_.
  • _skittybang
    _skittybang Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    If you're looking to swallow something rather long there is a technique involved:

swordswallowing3.jpg

Hummm...... that's not the usual sphincter I put things in....
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    So the follow up question is girls do you swallow or spit? (Fudge it! Somebody had to ask!)

Swallow ladies should never spit lol
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Have swallowed plenty of bugs while cycling.

Hahaha...oh yuck yuck yuck!!!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    This is NOT the thread I thought it was going to be....

I demand a redo.
  • SweetNSassee
    Options
    me too lmao should we be ashamed of ourselves?
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    The physiology of deglutition following mastication are complex neuromuscular activities consisting essentially of three phases, an oral, pharyngeal and esophageal phase. Each phase is controlled by a different neurological mechanism. The oral phase, which is entirely voluntary, is mainly controlled by the medial temporal lobes and limbic system of the cerebral cortex with contributions from the motor cortex and other cortical areas. The pharyngeal swallow is started by the oral phase and subsequently is co-ordinated by the swallowing center in the medulla oblongata and pons. The reflex is initiated by touch receptors in the pharynx as a bolus of food is pushed to the back of the mouth by the tongue. .. would you like me to go on? - is quite fascinating

yeah, please go on...but could you move on to patho? Or should I get back to you when I reach that point of my patho class?
    Oh damn! Hoist by my own thingumee. just Google dysphagia or see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dysphagia

but be warned, it's a bit hard to swallow
  • robertcook34
    Options
    Based on some of the other posts I have seen on here it would not have surprised me if it were dirty - LOL
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    The OP should be banned from posting for a month. Gettin everyone all excited, then the big let down.

So wrong...:grumble:
  • Bex2Bslim
    Bex2Bslim Posts: 1,092
    Options
    Carefully!!! :wink: :tongue:
  • PhillyTD
    PhillyTD Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    its-a-trap-akbar-sega-star-wars-vector-trap-demotivational-poster-1219458713.jpg
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    its-a-trap-akbar-sega-star-wars-vector-trap-demotivational-poster-1219458713.jpg

Too many of these^ lately.
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    The physiology of deglutition following mastication are complex neuromuscular activities consisting essentially of three phases, an oral, pharyngeal and esophageal phase. Each phase is controlled by a different neurological mechanism. The oral phase, which is entirely voluntary, is mainly controlled by the medial temporal lobes and limbic system of the cerebral cortex with contributions from the motor cortex and other cortical areas. The pharyngeal swallow is started by the oral phase and subsequently is co-ordinated by the swallowing center in the medulla oblongata and pons. The reflex is initiated by touch receptors in the pharynx as a bolus of food is pushed to the back of the mouth by the tongue. .. would you like me to go on? - is quite fascinating

yeah, please go on...but could you move on to patho? Or should I get back to you when I reach that point of my patho class?
    Oh damn! Hoist by my own thingumee. just Google dysphagia or see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dysphagia

but be warned, it's a bit hard to swallow

Dude! I know I've said I'm getting my medical degree from Google University...but I was KIDDING! You can ACTUALLY attend a real university to find out this stuff. Go figure!!!

:noway:
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I swallow my dentures all the time. Just a hazard from deep throating. . . :laugh:
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    I swallow my dentures all the time. Just a hazard from deep throating. . . :laugh:

thank god someone finally said it.