Want to Try a HRM

Options
I've noticed several posters mention using HRMs to gauge their personal calorie burn. I figured sticking with MFP's general exercise database would work fine for me, but I'm definitely curious about using something more accurate. So, can anyone recommend a good, accurate brand/model? And where to buy? I'm in Canada but I don't mind buying online.

Replies

• KittyViolet
    KittyViolet Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Aaanybody?
  • FrankenBeanz
    FrankenBeanz Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I had a karrimoor butafter 2 weeks it gave up!

I returned it and traded for a Polar FT4, almost triple the price but Very impressed so far. My Karrimoor only gave my average BPM but the Polar gives that AND calories burnt based on my stats that I input.

I'm in the UK but I am sure they're available over there :)
  • Makeda1211
    Makeda1211 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    If you want to find out what your actual burn is, then I would suggest getting a heart monitor. There are some things that effect your rate of burning calories. I have the Smart Heath HRM and it is also a pedometer.
  • littlebraze84
    Options
    I have the Polar FT40. LOVE IT! It’s seriously amazing!
  • LittleMissNerdy
    LittleMissNerdy Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT40. LOVE IT! It’s seriously amazing!

+1
  • Live_To_Kayak
    Options
    I have the Polar FT40 as well and love it. If you don't want to wear a chest strap or want to try something a little cheaper MIO makes a touch monitor that you can pick up for around $30. The touch monitors don't offer continuous monitoring like the chest strap version does.
  • susanbest
    susanbest Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been using a polar for 2 yrs now. I love it.
  • SKP1986
    SKP1986 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 and am amazed at what I actually burn when I work out vs. what MFP says. It makes it way easier to figure everything out, too. Honestly, I love my HRM and it was one of the best health/fitness purchases I've ever made.
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I have a polar ft4 and have for about two years now. I love it and use it every time I work out. Mfp and other calculates were way off, over estimating, and its a eye opener. It's also great cause I use it on e the machines at the gym and I can work on my fat and cardio zones and try to keep my heart rate in the zones to target different things.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    One of my friends is a personal trainer and teaches classes at my gym and she says that Polar is the brand to go with. I have a Polar FT4 and i love mine.
  • KittyViolet
    KittyViolet Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Sounds unanimous to me. Found some Polar models on Amazon.ca. Thanks everyone! :)