Jamaica Resorts - Have you been?

Options
2»

Replies

• k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    We stayed at a Sandals in Ochos Rios... we loved it... though my aunt, who is a travel agent that specializes in the Carribean, knows of better places... I think next time we go we will take her recommendation.
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I've been to Hedonism II and Hedonism III

Would love to give you a review, but as they say, what happens at Hedo. :)

Lol! That's good to know. I take it you enjoyed your stay. I'll have to check on that hotel.
  • munzpritchard
    Options
    When I went I stayed at Ambergris Caye, which is an island off of Belize. It’s an English speaking county. There is some of the best diving in the world there in addition to Mayan ruins (this is on the main land and is an extra cost). While it is a poor area the people are very nice and you can walk around the town without being bothered. I liked it a lot. I attaced a web page to island so you can see the pictures.... and YES it really does look like that!

http://www.ambergriscaye.com/pages/town/island.html
  • mistressfaye
    mistressfaye Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Three trips to Hedo II in Negril. Always a great time and you don't need to pack much to fit in......lol

Always wanted to go here...would love to talk to someone thats actually been because I keep reading conflicting reviews online about the accomodations. I was supposed to go last September but plans got changed
  • aj_31
    Options
    I now have a love/hate relationship with Trip Advisor. You can read hundreds of great reviews but then they also have some really bad reviews for each hotel. It makes picking one so much harder. I thought I had decided on one until I went into the bad reviews and now I'm back to looking again. I really don't want to spend more than $1500 a person because I will have to figure in the cost of airport parking, shuttle rides, and any excursions we may want to do. Before you know it you're up to $4,000.
  • aj_31
    Options
    When I went I stayed at Ambergris Caye, which is an island off of Belize. It’s an English speaking county. There is some of the best diving in the world there in addition to Mayan ruins (this is on the main land and is an extra cost). While it is a poor area the people are very nice and you can walk around the town without being bothered. I liked it a lot. I attaced a web page to island so you can see the pictures.... and YES it really does look like that!

http://www.ambergriscaye.com/pages/town/island.html

Thank you! I'm going to check this out.
  • ellipse1
    ellipse1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Riu Ocho Rios - Got married there. Awesome resort!
  • aj_31
    Options

I just had another girl I know say the same thing about that place. I think the only bad review I read was someone had their room broken into. But that can happen anywhere. Did you fly into Montego Bay? I read it's about 60-90 min ride to the hotel.
  • aj_31
    Options
    Riu Ocho Rios - has a few theft reviews on Trip Advisor between Sept - Dec. They didn't say if they used their safe or not.
  • workout_junkee
    workout_junkee Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Negril is beautiful. The beaches are awesome compared to many other places in Jaimaca. We always stay at Sandal resorts when going to Jaimaca. We have only had great experiences.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I've been to Hedonism II and Hedonism III

Would love to give you a review, but as they say, what happens at Hedo. :)

Lol! That's good to know. I take it you enjoyed your stay. I'll have to check on that hotel.

The books at the travel agency don't exactly accurately reflect Hedonism. I've always wondered if anyone booked without realizing what it was.

I stopped in Ocho Rios on a cruise and it was beautiful. We have a trip booked to Runaway Bay at the end of February.
    The only thing about Jamaica is going off resort is more of a safety issue than anywhere else I've been to so far.
  • ellipse1
    ellipse1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options

I just had another girl I know say the same thing about that place. I think the only bad review I read was someone had their room broken into. But that can happen anywhere. Did you fly into Montego Bay? I read it's about 60-90 min ride to the hotel.

I did fly into MB and the bus right was just over an hour. They stop at a local pub for drinks etc. The resort is huge and the staff were the best! I'll be going back this year for my anniversary!
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    We stayed at the Couples - San Souci in Ocho Rios for 8 days/7 nights...it was absolutely amazing and a great price!!!

This is where we went on our honeymoon. The only thing we didn't love was the drive from the airport.
  • kvg1210
    kvg1210 Posts: 35
    Options
    Anyone been to Jamaica?

I'm looking at going and wanted to know if you stayed in Montego Bay or Negril and which resort you stayed at. Also did you like or dislike it and how long ago were you there?

I lived in Jamaica for 7 months and absolutely loved it. Ocho Rios is very pretty much better than Negril - Negril is pretty too but so much more touristy - Montego Bay is fine and only an hour away from Ochi so you have the best of both worlds. Treasure Beach is also a beautiful place to stay. As for going off resorts, yes people do try and rip you off when you are a tourist and try and get you to buy overpriced goods but hey I can travel to London and have the same done to me and I'm English lol. It's a matter of using your common sense and yes although the resorts are lovely, nothing compares to the trueness of the real Jamaica and the people there. Also I do not use British pounds or US dollars, I deal only in Jamaican dollars and get a much fairer deal. If you do want to use foreign cash then make sure you know what the rate is and do not change your money at the hotels they charge a higher rate. Go to a cambio - there are usually several of them in and around your resort. Women watch out for the gigolos and men watch out for the female version lol. Like I said earlier use use your common sense, don't flash money, jewellery and cameras etc around. At the end of the day have a wicked time - Jamaica is certainly a fabulous place to visit.