Self control/PMS/Fallen off the bandwagon

Options
I am currently in total PMS state (TMI - sorry), and have fallen off of the bandwagon. All I want to eat is JUNK! And I have had a lot less time to work out, plus I've been so drained (lack of Iron). I know I need to take iron supplements for this problem. I have SUCH a lack of motivation, and my nutritionist (sister) is giving me a hard time about meeting my goals. I want to stay on track, but I cannot help to give in to temptation. How do you ladies overcome this? I know I'm not the only one that feels this way once a month. Any words of encouragement are GREATLY appreciated!

Replies

• KylieE
    KylieE Posts: 40
    Options
    BUMP!
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    black bean brownies baby. or honestly if i don't have patience, just choc. on black beans. mash the beans and they blend in, then the chunks are kinda like choc. chips. not for everybody, but it keeps me from eating mountains of stuff, some of the time.
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    release the guilt... Im PMSing too... I didnt go out & binge... but I went out & had some cheetos... I crave salt so it satisfied that craving & I moved on... I dont use my TOM as an excuse to veg out for 5-7 days and dont exercise... but instead of exercising 6 days that week, I may only do 4.... and I up my iron supplements and drink extra water... and rest as needed... no guilt... just acknowledge ya ate badly and move on... consciously allow yourself a treat as needed...just dont lose your mind....

exercise actually helps the cramps, IMO... but it certainly is hard getting the motivation....

think of it like this, Do you want to use 1/4 of a month to mess up every month, needing 2 weeks to make up for the loss.... it would be like really only exercising one week per month, the other 3 a waste of time
  • fludderbye
    fludderbye Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    as with alll things menstrual - this too will pass-:wink:

try to stay strong, eat your veggies & fruit first & most important

plan to have a piece of :heart: chocolate :heart: (or 2) !!!
  • Angela7zFit
    Angela7zFit Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    First - do not beat your self up. (Easier said then done...I know)

Just get back on the wagon.

I will say when I am healthier - making better food choices like cooking my meal eating my fruit and veggies, I crave less when I am PMSing. Getting the yucky stuff out of the body helps you crave it less I fine. I will allow myself a little something at OMS time or my family could be in jeoprady if being killed. (Sometime that PMS get really bad) .

Day by day...sometimes hour by hour you have to think of the goal...for yourself, not your sister.

Decide that today you will have a good day !!!!
  • sandobr1
    sandobr1 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    If you have not yet figured your maintenance calorie goal or TDEE, look up "In place of a road map" here on the forums. I use these numbers to supercede MFP numbers (at times) if you are hungrier or need a break, figure this and increase your calories up to TDEE or "maintenance" to give yourself some room without going over, or maybe just a small cut to be safe. You may find you get enough extra calories (for me hit was several hundred) to eat a little more and squeeze in some of those foods that might in that situation make you feel a little better. I have been playing around with calories, mostly through the holidays and stayed the same to dropped around a pound. Just a thought, good luck...also drink TONS of water, I found that helps a lot, like double what I might normally drink, like 12-16 cups a day. Also since we are already in the realm of TMI, look up "Diva Cup" this to me was literally the most life changing product ever in that department.
  • fightininggirl
    fightininggirl Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    drink lots of water to flush out what is your system. a lot if due to water rentention. eat fruits, veggies, and stay strong. as the lady said this to will pass.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Just try to do the healthiest, most productive things you can do. Take a nap, drink your water, get in some exercise, eat a good filling meal and treat if you really want one. Make the best of today that you can. Do some things that take your mind away from food.
  • JPal5
    JPal5 Posts: 178
    Options
    I usually give in to the cravings. It motivates me to workout when all I feel like doing is being curled up in a ball with a hot water bottle. I don't give in totally but I will have a something nice as long as its within my calorie allowance.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Chocolate is an amazing source of iron.... Just sayin'....

I don't know if you take a multi-vitamin, but it could be beneficial to take a multi with iron daily (honestly prenatals won't hurt any woman even if you aren't trying to have a baby or pregnant). This way you'll be a little ahead of the game when the PMSing starts. If I have been regularly taking my vitamin, the PMS cravings aren't as bad (still there, just not as bad). A Calcium supplement can help with menstrual cramps, BUT if you have restless leg syndrome, it will make RLS worse. I had to stop taking the calcium :-\
  • JPal5
    JPal5 Posts: 178
    Options
    Chocolate is an amazing source of iron.... Just sayin'....

I don't know if you take a multi-vitamin, but it could be beneficial to take a multi with iron daily (honestly prenatals won't hurt any woman even if you aren't trying to have a baby or pregnant). This way you'll be a little ahead of the game when the PMSing starts. If I have been regularly taking my vitamin, the PMS cravings aren't as bad (still there, just not as bad). A Calcium supplement can help with menstrual cramps, BUT if you have restless leg syndrome, it will make RLS worse. I had to stop taking the calcium :-\

Thats what it was!! The calcium!! I wondered why my RLS had suddenly gotten worse then all of a sudden much better! I had stopped taking the calcium!
  • vbhinton
    Options
    I too have fallen off the bandwagon and may fall off again! The key for me to was to understand and not be so hard on "self" knowing that you may be in a slump now but finding simple ways to ease back into your regiman. For instance, I made myself walk more at work getting up periodically using my pedometer and trying to reach higher steps each day, walking fast to and from my car after work. Finally one day I was back into my workout routine (leslie sansone walking with weights series). There is no magic that will help you get up and back in the swing for me it took my own realization and circumstances to overcome in order to get prepared mentally. You and only you can decide when you will get back on the bandwagon. Life has thrown lots of rocks at me but I'm throwing them back and saying "it ain't over till the fat lady sings" and i don't hear any singing!! Good luck to you! Remember you will fall off, the key is to get back up, dust yourself off and you will be ok! Mind over matter! Hope this helps...just my thoughts! Best of luck Valerie
  • naner61
    naner61 Posts: 85
    Options
    I would take the day curl up watch chick flicks, eat crap have a good cry, felt sorry for myself.....then get back on the wagon the next day! There is no magic pill for PMS, sometimes just understanding it is okay to take some time for yourself!

Pumpkin seeds are an excellent source of iron as is cream of wheat. Now I am going through menopause I exercise the crap out of my hot flashes!!
  • KylieE
    KylieE Posts: 40
    Options
    OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!!!!!!!!! You all have been so helpful!!!!!! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! :love: SO many wonderful words to add to my TOM mantra and great tips! You guys have no idea how helpful this is! Just knowing that other people feel this way makes me feel better. I stopped sending every meal to my sister. I'm logging it here and doing it for me. I've missed 4 days total of my 30 Day Shred, but completed day 10 yesterday! I'm sore, crampy and hormonal, but am NOT going to stop the good fight! I'm absolutely going to refer back to this often. Again, THANK YOU! :bigsmile:
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    when it's over, you may notice your hunger is much less than your normal hungry level.
    I def. noticed that. I was hardly hungry at all, only lasted for a couple days though.
    and there's always a whoosh and the lowest weight of the month.
    so you can look forward to that at least.
    hope you're feeling better.
  • slimforparis
    slimforparis Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Loads of great advice here - just when I need it most - thanks folks. Helps to know others have the same struggles.
  • BranMuffin947
    BranMuffin947 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    just wait 'till next week & relax.

it's a big problem for me, too.. PMS I go NUTZO.

but.. practice making better choices, just practice & It'll get easier.