dieting/maintaining weight while pregnant

Options
2»

Replies

• AllyBooMommyof2
    Options
    People will tell you not to lose weight. But, it depends on your weight, I've still got a bmi of over 40 so my OB is letting me lose weight this pregnancy and I basically have free range of how much. I lost 90 pounds last year but gained 13 of it back. I am supposed to eat 2000 calories a day and walk for 30 minutes or more at least 3x a week. I hope to lose 30-50 pounds (I am 279 right now) before I have the baby at the end of June (I am 14 weeks, 3 days today) and then continue to lose. So really it just depends where you are starting and just eat healthy at least 2000 calories a day and lots of water. My OB is always in a hurry it seems but I ask questions even when he's trying to run out the door so I get my questions answered lol I like him and he's a good doctor so I won't complain at all.

Also my BMR is 2300 or so, but my OB knows this and still says it's perfectly fine and even good for me to lose weight.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    As far as exercise, whatever you were doing before you became pregnant keep doing. Don't add new strenuous exercise to your schedule.

Eat healty and smartly. If you are really hell bent and determined to put a number on it, I would eat 300 or 400 calories over TDEE. You are growing a human, the creation of all that tissue and matter takes effort and energy, you need to make sure that you are eating sufficiently to nourish yourself and grow that baby or the process will start wicking nutrients from your body. It's a bit alarmist, but I do know women who didn't eat properly through their pregnancies and lost teeth, had serious bone density issues, lost hair, their pallor was striped of that normal pregnancy glow, etc. Undereating while growing babies can be pretty tricky business and is not advisable (as the previous poster mentioned, its not inadvisable to lose weight while pregnant dependiing on your starting point, jut inadvisable to undereat).
  • PaperDahlia
    PaperDahlia Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    First and foremost.. take a deep breath, and relax. ;) this is an exciting and happy time!

I only gained about 15 lbs for most of my pregnancy.. it shot up to 22 lbs towards the end, as my baby grew.
    I am not a small person to begin with, I was already plus size/trying to lose weight, making life changes, and trying to lose weight before I got pregnant... by making healthy choices, using MFP to track my calories (to make sure I was eating enough for baby), eating less processed foods, and walking every day.. I kept my body healthy. It was a very easy, uneventful pregnancy. I didn't even experience morning sickness (which I attribute to walking, and drinking a little tea each morning) And I really avoided all swelling, also, as a result. (again it just came down to the last week or so.. at 41.5 weeks, my body was 'done' being pregnant. so those things can start happening)

You can totally have a safe, healthy pregnancy... just take it easy. Don't push yourself to run a 5k, if you haven't been at that level of fitness prior to pregnancy. Walking for distance, not speed is helpful.. any chance you get to squeeze in a little walk, as it is comfortable for you, will be helpful..

And don't deprive yourself. If you are eating healthy 95% of the time-- you certainly can indulge in a reasonable amount of a craving or comfort food. For me, it was soft serve, frozen yogurt. when i really wanted it, i would allow myself 1 cup (portioned), and I would make sure that my calories balanced out. the calcium was a benefit.

Depending on how you were eating before, based on your size, you need about 300 extra calories per day, when pregnant.
    Doctors seem too rushed these days, without offering much in the way of help-- they just tell you the result they want to see, and leave it at that.

if you are very unsure, i would recommend consulting with a nutritionist. My dr's office happens to have one on staff..and that was very helpful to me, also :)
  • staplebug
    staplebug Posts: 189
    Options
    I like what's being said above. Don't take being pregnant as a license to stop eating healthy. Eat clean and remember for the first few months, your body only needs about 300 extra calories a day. I've talked to a lot of people about this and have mostly heard that if you were exercising before you were pregnant, you can keep exercising during pregnancy with little problems (I mean, obviously you shouldn't do abs or run a half marathon by the time you're 7 mo. pregnant). Keep doing what you're doing with exercising, but don't push yourself too much.
  • Christie0428
    Christie0428 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    When I got pregnant I was very over weight (278lbs), I focused on very good nutrician - whole foods and lost about 10lbs in my fist trimester mostly due to morning sickness and then only gained 8 of than 10lbs back over the rest of the pregnancy - most of it in the last trimester. I had an excellenve midwife tell me "if you want to have a treat (brownie or icecream) you should eat a lean protein, a fruit and a veggie first and then you can have a treat - one serving ... and if you want another treat you first eat a lean protein. fruit and a veggie... repeat... as you will find out the space for your stomach will lesson and I actually found it much easier to eat well and the right (small portions) than I do not pregnant.

I was also told( and it worked well for me and my baby as both were very healthy during and after pregnancy), that if you are heavy when you get pregnant - you don't have to gain any weight or increase your calories.
  • kafajardo
    Options
    Congrats on your pregnancy! If you have the option with your insurance, speak with a nutritionist. When I was pregnant with my now 10-yr-old I had gestational diabetes and was set up with an appt with a nutritionist. We talked about my eating habits and what I like to eat so she could come up with a daily plan of protein, carbs, sugars, etc. Having these guidelines helped me so much. I had only a 25 lb weight gain and, since I was used to the menu, followed a slightly modified version after the birth to accommodate nursing, etc. By the time my daughter was a year old I was actually a little lower than my pre-pregnancy weight and fit into my jeans comfortably. Hope that helps. :-)
  • ZombieSlayer
    ZombieSlayer Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I would learn how many additional calories you need. In early pregnancy, it's none. Later I think it's 200? Find that out and then count calories. Also DO NOT STOP EXERCISING. Do running and aerobics until you get uncomfortable doing them. Let you body tell you when to stop.

This!

Calorie requirements can be calculated here: http://www.freedieting.com/tools/pregnancy_calorie_calculator.htm

If the cardio gets too intense, you could switch to just walking and pre-natal yoga (excellent videos with the modifications needed are readily available online).
  • msjenkalvoda
    msjenkalvoda Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Up until my 28-week check-up I had put on 8.5 pounds. Then, I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes. I began eating healthier and counting my calories to make sure I was getting enough. I started my pregnancy at 222 pounds (I'm 5'9") and was told at my first OB appointment to eat around 1800 calories. I thought that seemed a little low, but knew I was overweight to begin with. (I actually fell into the obese category by quite a bit.) By then end of my pregnancy, I took off the weight I had gained and then another 5 pounds. Five weeks after delivery I weighed 25 pounds less than what I started at.

My midwife asked me at one of my appointments why I thought I was losing weight. I told her I was eating healthier and tracking how many calories I took in. She was not at all concerned, and told me I was doing myself a favor in the long run.

It's different for everyone, but I would ask your Dr. their opinion on what to do. If you feel like they rushed you out the door, find a new one the first chance you get.

Good luck with this exciting journey and remember that the weight and the stretch marks (I got a TON even though I lost weight throughout) are all worth it in the end!
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!

I guess we each carry a bit differently. I found it hard to understand how people gained so much weight while pregnant because after about the 4th month, there was no room for food; I was filled to the max! I actually lost weight the second half of each of my pregnancies while doing my best to maintain a good healthy diet.

So who knows; weight gain might not be an issue for you.
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Congrats!

I suggest eating a healthy diet and exercising (not pushing yourself) 30 minutes a day most days a week. Keeping yourself physically active is fine as long as you were active before you got pregnant, which you say you were. Studies show that being active makes for an easier delivery and I can speak for myself and say both of mine were very quick and easy. Also it will make weight loss faster after you give birth. I am 8 months post partum and finding weight loss a lot easier the second time around since I did not gain nearly as much this pregnancy and remained active the whole time.
    Don't worry too much about the scale though, as long as you are taking care of yourself and baby it will be fine.
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    You've already got a lot of great advice. My only suggestion would be that you might want to consult with a nutrionist just to make sure you're getting all the nutrients to support a healthy pregnancy AND a healthy you. I think any pregnant person should do this, but particularly pregnant people that are trying to balance growing a healthy baby and not putting on too much additional baby weight. I personally was breastfeeding while pregnant, so I saw a nutrionist and learned my diet was lacking in vitamin D and choline so I changed things up to make sure I got more of both.
  • sacorner
    sacorner Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body (and your doctor). I was active during my pregnancy. Tons of walking and swimming. I also went bike riding right up to the 9th month without any problems at all. And my doctor had no problems with this. Although my online research initially presented it as a 'no no'.
  • jess28fbg
    Options
    Hi. I am new to the Message Boards but have been tracking my weight loss on myfitnesspal for a few months now. I am 13 weeks pregnant now and generally interested in feedback about nutrition and fitness while pregnant. Fortunately, I was only a few pounds away from my goal weight of 145 lbs when I found out I was pregnant around Thanksgiving. I weighed 152 lbs the day I found out, and have actually lost 2 lbs over the course of the last few months.

My doctor has encouraged me to keep working out, although to track my heart rate when I run or do heavy aerobics. I just have a hard time keeping motivated given that I am EXTREMELY exhausted all the time. I know that might go away soon (cross your fingers).

Anyway, I was following a pretty strict goal of 1500 calories a day. I still have only been eating around 1600, which is below what my body needs to maintain my current weight. As long as I am getting enough protein, fats, carbs, calcium, and folic acid, is there anything wrong with keeping my lower calorie diet? Any thoughts?
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    good advice here. breastfeeding is very good for the baby and a bonus is the weight just drops a way.
  • Jonna13
    Jonna13 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Eat a healthy balanced diet and try not to worry about the scale. I gained 25lbs with my son (he is 3 mos old) and didn't once log into MFP (I lost around 13lbs prior to getting pregnant) I just ate what I wanted but all within reason. The 25lbs I gained was gone within 3-4 weeks after he was born and since then I've lost an additional 17lbs. Enjoy you're pregnancy and don't worry about weightloss until after your baby is born. Btw Congratulations!
  • kellykneppergrundy
    kellykneppergrundy Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Hello,

There are loads of us tracking our food and exercise during pregnancy. Please join us on the Fit, Fabulous & Pregnant board!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/1920-fit-fabulous-pregnant-
  • Beth21AR
    Beth21AR Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am also 13 weeks and wondering the same thing about calories. My guess was 1800 per day. (??)

Hi. I am new to the Message Boards but have been tracking my weight loss on myfitnesspal for a few months now. I am 13 weeks pregnant now and generally interested in feedback about nutrition and fitness while pregnant. Fortunately, I was only a few pounds away from my goal weight of 145 lbs when I found out I was pregnant around Thanksgiving. I weighed 152 lbs the day I found out, and have actually lost 2 lbs over the course of the last few months.

My doctor has encouraged me to keep working out, although to track my heart rate when I run or do heavy aerobics. I just have a hard time keeping motivated given that I am EXTREMELY exhausted all the time. I know that might go away soon (cross your fingers).

Anyway, I was following a pretty strict goal of 1500 calories a day. I still have only been eating around 1600, which is below what my body needs to maintain my current weight. As long as I am getting enough protein, fats, carbs, calcium, and folic acid, is there anything wrong with keeping my lower calorie diet? Any thoughts?