14 Foods You Should Cut From Your Die

Options
Here's an article from Yahoo that I found interesting and worthy to share:

14 Foods You Should Cut From Your Diet: http://health.yahoo.net/articles/nutrition/photos/14-foods-you-should-cut-your-diet#0

This article specifically calls out foods you should avoid, why you should avoid them, and an alternative to consider.

Swordfish
Nonorganic Strawberries
Diet Soda
Anything from McDonald's
Canned Tomatoes
Bread
Industrially Produced Hamburger
Corn
White Chocolate
Artificial Sweeteners
Sprouts
Butter-Flavored Microwave Popcorn
Food Dyes
Chain Restaurant Ice Cream

Replies

• PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Some of this I agree with and some I do not agree with.

Home canned tomatoes in glass jars there is nothing wrong with. I see why they say "canned" tomatoes like in tins with plastic linings in the cans. But cooked tomatoes are higher in lycopene than raw tomatoes, so there are benefits.

Swordfish is probably ok like tuna............in limited quantities due to the mercury levels.

Not sure about the sprouts either. You can buy them organic and they are very good for you.

The rest of the list I agree with.
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Here's an article from Yahoo that I found interesting and worthy to share:

14 Foods You Should Cut From Your Diet: http://health.yahoo.net/articles/nutrition/photos/14-foods-you-should-cut-your-diet#0

This article specifically calls out foods you should avoid, why you should avoid them, and an alternative to consider.

Swordfish
    Nonorganic Strawberries
    Diet Soda
    Anything from McDonald's
    Canned Tomatoes
    Bread
    Industrially Produced Hamburger
    Corn
    White Chocolate
    Artificial Sweeteners
    Sprouts
    Butter-Flavored Microwave Popcorn
    Food Dyes
    Chain Restaurant Ice Cream

“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.”
    Assertion without proof, is blind faith
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    i saw it yesterday. i found a couple of the entries to be outright propaganda and based solely on the biases of the person who they asked (e.g. the non-organic strawberry entry and the bread entry), so i ended up only skimming the remaining entries.

you should always approach "articles" like this with your "critical thinking" hat on and make sure you're not being fed opinions as opposed to facts. you are of course free to include or exclude anything from your diet that you want, but if one of your favorite foods is on this list, please don't stop enjoying it based solely on this Yahoo article. do some research. find opinions on both sides of the issue, then make up your mind.
  • feathertouch
    feathertouch Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I love sprouts :(, cutting out corn as of today, but decided last night and WHAT!!? Non organic strawberries?? I just just about afford the basic value ones after my weekly shop lol Why cut out sprouts??
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Bald assertions detected.
    Article dismissed.
  • LoveMy3Boys
    LoveMy3Boys Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with sprouts?
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I love sprouts :(, cutting out corn as of today, but decided last night and WHAT!!? Non organic strawberries?? I just just about afford the basic value ones after my weekly shop lol Why cut out sprouts??

I also read the article, and the reasoning behind the sprouts thing was because they are the produce item that is most frequently recalled for being contaminated with E. Coli and Salmonella. Sprouts grow best in very warm moist soil, which is also the most hospitable for bacteria. Don't know if I will give them up because of this, but it did say they have been subject to over 40 recalls in recent years.

Most of the things that are on the list really do make sense if you read the whole story.

http://health.yahoo.net/articles/nutrition/photos/14-foods-you-should-cut-your-diet#0