Anyone else work 3rd shift?

Options
I work 3rd shift and now that I'm watching what I eat and going to the gym 6 days a week, I've noticed how working 3rd shift is a pain in the butt. lol.

When I get off work, I normally crave 'normal' food, that being anything other than breakfast. I'm normally tired and I don't feel like going home to cook.. yet none of the fast food places have healthy foods at 7am.. not what I would call healthy that is. If I want to eat a tendergrill chicken patty from Burger King (just the patty not the bun) I have to wait until 10am, then I feel that it is too late for me to eat since I go to bed around noon.

I've read it is better to work out about an hour after a person wakes up. That simply does not work for me because I get up at 8pm, the gym closes either at 8 or 9pm. I go to the gym after I get off work which is fine with me but all I hear from 'people in the know' is how it is better to work out when you first wake up. UGH!

Sorry for the complaining, it is just that I DID enjoy working 3rd shift because I'm a natural night owl, but since I started dieting and working out, it isn't quite as fun for me anymore lol.

Replies

• Happyguy
    Happyguy Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    What's that Nike add? "JUST DO IT!"

I wouldn't worry too much about what all the diet industry says is "best".

It may be true that working out shortly after you wake up is best but honestly, how much better is best?

As for eating, if you don't feel like cooking start making a little extra when you do cook and keep some leftovers in the fridge so you don't have to hit the fast food places. Or maybe you can find a 24 hour diner that serves all their meals 'round the clock. I think Bob Evans and Denny's do.

Think about it. What is the difference between doing it the best way and doing it well. Worst case scenario is you'll have to add a few weeks to each of your goals. Just hang in there, you can do it.

Edited to add: Maybe since you can't go to the gym first thing you can use that to add some motivation to workout harder and make up for the difference.
  • badloki13
    badloki13 Posts: 15
    Options
    I guess I just think if I don't do it the 'best' way, it wont happen. I don't know why exactly. I've already lost 26 lbs since starting on March 5th so what I'm doing **is** working but I keep thinking that if I had done it the 'best' way, according to experts, then I could have lost 30 lbs by now. lol. Crazy I know.
  • gr8dad1975
    gr8dad1975 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Hey Man!

If you have lost 26 lbs since March 5th, then obviously you have been working your butt off. You are doing a great job (and you know it) but you are being too modest about about admitting it. Learning to congratulate yourself and celebrate your progress is a key ingredient to changing your lifestyle. Just keep up the good work and everything else come.