Gallbladder Surgery on Feb 6

Options
I went to the doctor a year ago, had tests/ultrasound done and she said I had to get my Gallbladder removed. I got scared and didn't go back to the doctor again. Last week I went again because I've been getting pain under my right rib so badly every time I ate.
The doctor sent me to the ultrasound again, and made an appointment to see a surgeon in March. The ultrasound got back and they said my gallbladder is extremely inflamed, bumped the surgeon appointment to the next DAY... the next day the surgeon said I'll have surgery on Feb 6 to have it removed.
I'm really scared. Has anyone been through this and could you tell me personal stories or pros and cons? I was also diagnosed with ulcers, which I'm on medication for... I've stopped drinking alcohol and stopped eating fatty foods as well stopped smoking this past week and a bit, I feel great with the occasional mild gallbladder pain. I have heard from people that I shouldn't have it removed, and others saying DO IT. I've heard you can gain weight or lose it after having the surgery done... I do not want to gain weight!! I'm also afraid of scars/scar tissue...

Replies

• Built_Strong
    Built_Strong Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I had my GB out June last year and havent gained weight. I gained water weight after the surgery but that went away after a week. It was the best thing I did. No more severe pain.

I had it done laproscopically so there are minimal scars.
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I had mine out one year after having my first child. I was sick with it for a year but since I was young I guess no one took me sesiosly that I was in extreme pain at least once a month. The surgery was done with lazers. (Don't remember correct therm) Almost all the women in my family have had to have it taken out. The scars are little. The longer you put it off the more risk the chance of needing it to be done the old fashioned way. I haven't had any cons to list but for my little sister she still has stomach issues related to certain foods. Good luck.
  • RealSteelRobot
    Options
    The surgeon said she will be doing it laproscopically, but she said everyone is built different and if mine is in there complicated she'll cut me right open, but she said that only happens 7-10% of the time 0.o or at least I think that is what she said.
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    I had mine out over the summer. The only reason I gained weight was because of poor food choices. I am so happy it's out.
  • Karaya41
    Options
    Hope you surgery went well and recovery satisfactory. I know that after your recovery you will feel so much better and this will absolutely will not make you gain weight but on the contrary will aid in your weight loss. Take good care of yourself and hope you keep us updated.
  • dovetail22uk
    dovetail22uk Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I had mine taken out laproscopically almost 20 years ago. Was only in hospital overnight and the worst thing about it is that they put carbon dioxide into you (I'm so scientific) to push the stomach wall away from your organs and that has to dissapaite (sp?) afterwards (you can't burp it out!) and so that's a bit unconfortable. I was up and about the next day and just took some paracetomol, as I remember.

And it's not like I'm some kind of double-hard b*stard. I'm pretty pathetic so you'll be GOLDEN!!!!!

And the relief from not having the hideous pain of gallstones makes it all worthwhile :-)
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I had mine out in 2010. I only have one really visible scar, and it's only about an inch long. I went in to get it removed, I was in surgery around 7:45, out around 8:45, and able to get home around 1 or 2pm that same day. I was definitely sore for a couple of weeks, but nothing unbearable, and they prescribed pain killers which really helped. I only needed them for a week or 2. I was up and running within a week. It was not in any way traumatic for me.

ETA; I have done nothing but lose weight since then, save for when I got pregnant with my second baby :wink:
  • dovetail22uk
    dovetail22uk Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I had mine taken out laproscopically almost 20 years ago. Was only in hospital overnight and the worst thing about it is that they put carbon dioxide into you (I'm so scientific) to push the stomach wall away from your organs and that has to dissapaite (sp?) afterwards (you can't burp it out!) and so that's a bit unconfortable. I was up and about the next day and just took some paracetomol, as I remember.

And it's not like I'm some kind of double-hard b*stard. I'm pretty pathetic so you'll be GOLDEN!!!!!

And the relief from not having the hideous pain of gallstones makes it all worthwhile :-)

Oh and I didn't put on any weight from it. That came later from all the pies :cry:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I had mine out in October and had a tubal ligation and endometrial ablation at the same time. It was far less pain than I expected. I took a couple Percocets in the first few days of recovery because I had them and they helped, but I would have been OK without them.

You'll have three tiny holes in your torso (they healed fast and are barely noticeable) and one in your belly button (that one bothered me for a while, but nothing major).

Don't stress. Seriously.
  • dawnreid2012
    dawnreid2012 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I had mine taken out and was up cleaning house and taking care of kids the next day and im possibly the biggest baby when it comes to pain or anything like that.. Everything will be fine.. Dont worry or stress Im sure your in good hands :)
  • Bobtheangrytomato
    Bobtheangrytomato Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    My ex had his out a few months ago laparoscopically (sp?) and i picked him up from the hospital a few hours after. He was clearly in pain, but I think he managed on just tylenol (he doesn't like taking pain meds, although they were prescribed). He said it wasn't as bad as he thought it would be. Obviously everyone is different, but I hope this added to the conversation. The scars also aren't that noticeable.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    The surgeon said she will be doing it laproscopically, but she said everyone is built different and if mine is in there complicated she'll cut me right open, but she said that only happens 7-10% of the time 0.o or at least I think that is what she said.

They have to tell you that because it COULD happen. But it's very unlikely.

And you won't know anything. I don't know if you've ever been sedated, but you literally just wake up and it's all done. Feels like a second.
  • UnoDrea3732
    UnoDrea3732 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I went in for the same pains and they ended up scheduling me for an emergency gb removal surgery. I don't know about the weight gain because I've been big most of my life but I can tell you that the pain was no joke and I'm glad it's gone.

BTW I did try the eating healthy once I found out it was my gb but it just got worse.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    My daughter ha hers out laproscopically as a day surgery. She was up the next day and back to school after 3 days. No big deal. She didn't gain any weight but she has issues still with eating fatty foods and for some reason lettuce. If you're having that much gallbladder trouble I'd have it out rather than risk it rupturing.

Weight gain or loss is based on your food intake mostly and minimally your exercise level. Your gallbladder is mainly a bile storage unit so it doesn't play a role in your hormone production or anything that would cause weight gain.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I had mine out about 6 years ago. There was a lot of soreness afterwards, but it was not horrible. It was done laparascopically, and the scars are barely visible now. I will say that afterwards, for quite a while, I had a lot of stomach issues if I ate too much fried stuff, greasy stuff, etc. It was well worth it to get rid of the pain I was having though!
  • katiwagner
    katiwagner Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I had mine removed last August. I too had issues for years but the doctors always chalked it up to something else. One night it was the worst it ever been and it was not going away. Went to the ER and they finally diagnosed me with Gallstones. Made an apt with a doctor the next day, but he wasn’t able to get me in for a couple days. When I finally went in he scheduled my surgery for the next, I was so relieved because I had never been in so much pain, and I have had two children. I was actually hoping he would do it that day. Had the surgery, was suppose to be an outpatient but I ended up having to stay in the hospital overnight so they monitor me because my gallbladder was so inflamed and infected. He said if he would have removed it that day I would have burst and I could have died.
    I actually lost weight when all the pain started because I stopped eating and drinking. I didn’t really gain any weight after the surgery, and my scares are pretty tiny. I have 4 and the largest is about 2 inches right below my belly button. Two are very very tiny.
    So all in all, it was way worth it.
  • ladyonaquest
    ladyonaquest Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I had mine removed the exact same way in 07!! It was the best dang thing I did in my life!! I lost 40 lbs over the next year without even trying due to my body not being able to digest certain foods. I was a pooping machine!! You can't see my little cuts at all from the surgery. I was bloated the next few days but NO pain at all!!! I was so mad at myself for allowing myself to stay in pain and having attacks for 4 years before I had that thing taken out!! Trust me, you are going to feel sooooooo much better and you are going to wish you did it last year!
  • lilysmama08
    lilysmama08 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I had mine out in 2010. I only have one really visible scar, and it's only about an inch long. I went in to get it removed, I was in surgery around 7:45, out around 8:45, and able to get home around 1 or 2pm that same day. I was definitely sore for a couple of weeks, but nothing unbearable, and they prescribed pain killers which really helped. I only needed them for a week or 2. I was up and running within a week. It was not in any way traumatic for me.

ETA; I have done nothing but lose weight since then, save for when I got pregnant with my second baby :wink:

This was the most painful part for me! The gas got into my shoulders and hurt like bell. But i had my surgery two weeks after a csection and was up taking care of a baby within two days. It's not so bad and you'll feel much better after! Good luck!

Edited: quoted the wrong person. Oh well :)
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Well does your Dr think you should keep it? If you are able to prevent gallbladder attacks from diet then that could be a good option.

I did not have a choice for mine. Mine was an emergency surgery and had to be removed immediately. It was not a pleasant experience. I also did not gain any weight from it...not sure how that would be related. I actually was at my thinnest weight when I had the surgery and have to watch my diet.
  • hickorycutie
    hickorycutie Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    i had mine out 20 years ago and the dr told me i would lose 20-30 lbs once it was removed.... im still waiting on that. but didnt have to be cut open... the dr said i was built like a bowling ball (b/c im short and round) the surgery was suppose to take an hr but took 2 b/c he said he didnt have much room to work.... but soo glad i didnt have to be cut open and didnt even have to take pain meds afterwards.. was real sore but pain was bearable. only thing i hate bout it was having to go to the bathroom alot more, but that comes with not having a gall bladder.