Are you affected by the cold air?

Options
I'm in the middle of doing C25K and I also like to do longer walks at the weekend, however over the last couple of weeks its turned cold here and I find myself getting winded at the beginning of my exercise and also I find myself fighting harder for breath, is this normal? Does it happed to anyone else?

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite, actually. I run much better in the cold. I really, really struggle in the summer with high heat and humidity.
  • cm1458
    cm1458 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    It happens to me too. I usually just jog, do yoga and lift but I feel like its harder in the winter. Especially if I do any of the above outside
  • Nikachelle
    Nikachelle Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    How cold is "cold" to you? (Temperature-wise.) For new runners, and even runners who have never run in the colder months before, it can definitely be more strenuous on your lungs and body. While I personally prefer the cold weather to run in (either slightly sub zero Celsius/around 32F). If it's below -20 (Celsius) I wouldn't advise running out in that until your lungs have adapted. In general, most cold weather running guides will tell you to reduce how long you run in order to get your lungs up to speed with the temperatures.
  • cls_333
    cls_333 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    It takes awhile for your body to get used to the cold, but it really should be easier after that. Colder usually equals much less humidity. Try to get out as often as you can so your body becomes accustomed to it.
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    A running mask will help with the cold air if it's really affecting you. Now that I've been running for a while it doesn't affect me at all.
  • ultrarunnersteph
    Options
    I live in a part of the country where 60 degrees is cold. We recently got a cold front and I did a long run last night while it was 33 degrees and almost died.. so I would say yes, I am definitely affected!
  • sleepyjean88
    sleepyjean88 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    How cold is "cold" to you?

The last few days its been hovering around 0 to -4 celcius. I'm really enjoying C25K but feel i'm getting a little worse instead of better, maybe I just have to get used to it like you say.
  • Khittle123
    Khittle123 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    my issue isn't so much not being able to breathe, it's the arthritis that comes from the cold. I have had 5 surgeries on my legs so every winter it's even difficult for me to walk; so I don't even go outside. Do you have comcast cable? if you do, they have free exercises on demand that you could do.
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    I like running in the cold!!

I just ran 2 days ago at -4F (-12 windchill) Main problem is that my beard froze solid!!

Keep going out no mater the weather it is good for you, and soon you will welcome the challenge
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite, actually. I run much better in the cold. I really, really struggle in the summer with high heat and humidity.

Same here. I love it when it's cold and dry. It's the only time I have any energy at all.
  • Nikachelle
    Options
    How cold is "cold" to you?

The last few days its been hovering around 0 to -4 celcius. I'm really enjoying C25K but feel i'm getting a little worse instead of better, maybe I just have to get used to it like you say.
    I would encourage you to keep going, but take it a bit slower and possibly not as far as you're used to. Your body will for sure adapt to the temperature change. Right now your lungs are probably freaking out because this is an unusual temperature to them. Like anything else with your body, you need to train them to make them stronger.
  • Starlage
    Starlage Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    the cold air doesn't bother my breathing but it definitely affects my face/fingers and legs. I don't enjoy running when it's below 40 degrees Fahrenheit so I just simply don't do it more than once a week and only a few miles (just to keep my stamina up a little more than if I stopped all together). Lots of people continue running though and just layer up, wear a mask or something over their mouths to help warm the air coming into your lungs a little (aparently. never tried it). Good luck!
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    MagicalLeopleurodon Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I am affected, after the second break to my nose. The cold air gives me an awful headache.

I'm worse with humidity. I have an arrhythmia and the thick air makes it really hard to breathe.

Maybe try wearing a scarf over your nose and mouth, it helps me :)
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I've had my best runs on very cold mornings. I guess the cold makes me want to get back inside as soon as possible!
  • sleepyjean88
    Options
    I've had my best runs on very cold mornings. I guess the cold makes me want to get back inside as soon as possible!

I was hoping I'd have the same lol but no such luck for me!
  • Nikachelle
    Options
    the cold air doesn't bother my breathing but it definitely affects my face/fingers and legs. I don't enjoy running when it's below 40 degrees Fahrenheit so I just simply don't do it more than once a week and only a few miles (just to keep my stamina up a little more than if I stopped all together). Lots of people continue running though and just layer up, wear a mask or something over their mouths to help warm the air coming into your lungs a little (aparently. never tried it). Good luck!
    Not a judgement from me, but WOW - at 0C/32F the only thing I'm wearing to run is a thin, thin longsleeve running shirt and full length pants. If I put on a hat, gloves or anything else I'll frigging die of heat!
  • liittlesparrow
    liittlesparrow Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I can't run in the cold unless I cover my ears really really well. If I don't inside my ears get to hurting so bad. It's like someone is drilling in them. It's really quite debilitating.
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options

Me too! I have a much harder time with high heat and humidity.
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    My nose has no problem running in the cold
  • sleepyjean88
    Options
    Thankfully it doesn't tend to get too hot where I am, otherwise I'm sure I would struggle with that too.