tea as water?

Options
Does Iced tea (unsweetened) and sugar-free drink mix (ala Crystal Light) count towards your daily water goal/total?

Replies

• nekoface
    nekoface Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I have unsweetened regular tea and count it towards my daily water goal.
  • liya368
    liya368 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I don't count it; especially if it has caffeine. I don't know if it really makes a difference.
  • davecountrybear
    Options
    I count tea as water but if I have 2 glasses of tea, I only count it as 1 water on my tracking because of the caffeine. If it is decaffeinated, then I'll count it regular.
  • sterphy
    sterphy Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    This is an interesting question...hoping to hear more responses, I've never considered it before.
  • lindaw66
    lindaw66 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I make sure that I get in my eight, 8 oz glasses of water first and any thing I drink after that is just bonus and I drink green tea in the morning. I have a jug I bought at walmart that is a 2.2L and once I'm done with that I know I've had my minimum of water intake any thing after that is bonus!:drinker:
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I have a big 2 L jug of water with 1/2 squeezed lemon and 10ml of liquid chlorophyll. Tea, I count it as my water (but then again, I don't really track it b/c I know Im getting enough)
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    I don't count it; especially if it has caffeine. I don't know if it really makes a difference.
    The caffeine doesn't make one little tiny bit of a difference
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options

Only 98% of the medical and news sites I saw about this confirm it... Heck, they even go a step further and suggest that ANY caffeinated drink will not dehydrate you.

Studies on caffeine have found very high doses dehydrate and everyone assumes that caffeine-containing beverages dehydrate. But even if you had a really, really strong cup of tea or coffee, which is quite hard to make, you would still have a net gain of fluid.

the only downfall - it could possibly limit your absorption of Iron.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options

Only 98% of the medical and news sites I saw about this confirm it... Heck, they even go a step further and suggest that ANY caffeinated drink will not dehydrate you.

Studies on caffeine have found very high doses dehydrate and everyone assumes that caffeine-containing beverages dehydrate. But even if you had a really, really strong cup of tea or coffee, which is quite hard to make, you would still have a net gain of fluid.

the only downfall - it could possibly limit your absorption of Iron.

Yes. very high dosages not the amounts that a normal person consumes.

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/drinking-enough-water-topic-overview

An extract from that article:
    Do you have to drink only water to stay hydrated?
    All liquids help you stay hydrated. Water is usually the best choice, because it’s free (if you’re drinking tap water) and has no sugar or calories. But most healthy people can get enough fluid through the beverages they consume every day. These can include water, fruit juices, coffee, sodas, iced tea, and other drinks.
    Experts say that it's not true that beverages that have caffeine-such as coffee, tea, and cola drinks-always dehydrate you. Healthy people who consume moderate amounts of caffeine don't lose more fluid than people who don't have any caffeine.1 A moderate amount of caffeine is about 200 to 300 milligrams a day. That's about two to four 8-ounce cups of coffee.
  • Phat_Bottom_Girl
    Options
    I have 8 cups a day and count it as water,
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    ITT: We count our water
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    when I was going to Weight Watchers they counted all clear fluid as water. Even our coffee counted. That was a real switch from several years ago.
  • kbkeats
    kbkeats Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I have about 2 mugs of hot green tea a day, and I count this towards my water intake.
  • horseplaypen
    horseplaypen Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Almost all my fluid intake comes from tea, except for about 3 cups of straight water that I drink at the gym. Sure, there are negative effects of caffeine, but tea has lots of good stuff too, especially green tea. And if I had to drink 8 cups of water ON TOP of all the tea I drink... I think I'd explode. :)
  • messyinthekitchen
    messyinthekitchen Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    I read that you shouldn't. But my doctor say you can. So I say yes.
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Decaf coffee and Decaf iced or hot tea I count as my water. Also I count Sobe 0 cals too as water. Sugar Free/Fat Free hot chocolate mixed with water I also count as water. I try to get at least 80 oz of water of some sort in daily.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I count it, especially in the winter. Drinking a lot of cold water makes me colder.
  • smokinjackd
    Options
    Unless you go from drinking zero caffeine to 20 cups in one day its fluid, your body doesn't know the difference. I incorporate my tea into my daily water.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Does Iced tea (unsweetened) and sugar-free drink mix (ala Crystal Light) count towards your daily water goal/total?

How can something that's water not count as water?