How many cals does 5 mins on a power plate burn?

Options
I have one and enjoy using it but have searched for info and can't find anything.

Replies

• xoAmyxo
    xoAmyxo Posts: 110
    Options
    first off..whats a power plate? lol
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    it all depends on how high your heart rate was? How intense can you get in 5 minutes......
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    From MFP's exercise list, weight training is probably closest. It won't be very much!
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    is that the thing you stand on and its supposed to maek you lose weight?
  • Diggy2011
    Diggy2011 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
  • dougstevens
    dougstevens Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Guessing very little. Would you consider it strength/muscle training (small compared to aerobic exercises)? Or aerobic training (much greater burn). Not sure if 5 minutes is long enough to get your heart rate up to get a good burn going.

If you can get your hands on a decent HRM (heart rate monitor). Check it out.

Interested in seeing the results.
  • Puffins1958
    Puffins1958 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Some one had suggested to me that I purchase a Heart Rate Monitor. I think they tell you how many calories are burned after work outs.

12117749.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Diggy2011
    Options
    More toning than weightloss good for circulation.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    most likely only about 2-4 cals per minute then you would burn not doing (above maintenance) so it should be safe for 5 minutes doing that to put it in as 10-20 calories.
  • prestonmay
    prestonmay Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Wow you actually have access to one. I recall the old ones with the big belt. I have always questioned the effectiveness of this type of apparatus when it comes to weight loss. Stimulation --- I am sure it does, but burning FAT--Verdict is out on that one.? I get motion sickness from being in the passenger side of a CAR---- I am sure this would shake the ---- out of me. Hummmmm :smile:
  • Diggy2011
    Options
    Wow you actually have access to one. I recall the old ones with the big belt. I have always questioned the effectiveness of this type of apparatus when it comes to weight loss. Stimulation --- I am sure it does, but burning FAT--Verdict is out on that one.? I get motion sickness from being in the passenger side of a CAR---- I am sure this would shake the ---- out of me. Hummmmm :smile:

Shifts the wax outta of ya ears
  • Wnderlnd
    Options
    We have one too and love it! We bought a floor model during an awesome sale. It was well worth the price.

If you feel it in your head that strongly, you are probably not flexing/bending your knees or elbows enough.

I very rarely do static exercises on it, except maybe arms and planks. I actually sweat, breathe harder, and my heartrate is higher when I'm using the power plate than when I just workout with weights. I do a lot of lunges, squats, step-up, jump-ups, crunches, and dips. I feel my muscles work harder during active exercises, and it makes the 60 second timer seem to go faster! :)

I am not positive, but I've read that it utilizes 100% of your muscle fibers instead of just 45% that regular weight lifting uses. Again, I am not sure if that is correct. I've wondered if I should just enter in double the time for regular weight lifting.

What I am positive of, is that I am getting stronger faster and my endurance is increasing.