What do you do first thing in the morning.....

Options
To make an early workout easier? Lately I have been getting home from work at around 7 or so, eating dinner, end up working out from 10:30pm-11:30pm and straight to bed. The days just seem to go by so quick. I am finishing up round two of Insanity, but I don't know about be pulling myself out of bed to do that at 6:30am.

Replies

• neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Have a cup of coffee. But, I just switched to evenings. I like it better. It keeps me from couch potatoing.
  • needles85365
    needles85365 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    get on the computer and drink my coffee. Was going to go to the gym but now its too late. will go after my appointment
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Pee
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    It helps if I open up MFP. Even if I don't post anything, just having the window open helps push me to do my workout.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely not a morning workout person...I tried it and I just don't get the best workout in the AM. I'm usually too groggy and I have too much crap on my mind thinking about everything I have to do for the day. I'm at my best in the evening when all the **** is over and I can focus on my workout. I hate getting home late, but that's the way it is, and it's only 3 nights/week, so not that big of a deal.
  • sunnyinaz78
    Options
    Have my protein shake within the 1st 30 min of waking up. start the coffee or heat up the kettle for tea fo sho!
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely not a morning workout person...I tried it and I just don't get the best workout in the AM. I'm usually too groggy and I have too much crap on my mind thinking about everything I have to do for the day. I'm at my best in the evening when all the **** is over and I can focus on my workout. I hate getting home late, but that's the way it is, and it's only 3 nights/week, so not that big of a deal.

Same here. Plus, working out at night helps me release the stress from the day. I also sleep a lot better.
  • rachelmorgan77
    rachelmorgan77 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    To quote Nike - I just do it. I know it sounds harsh, but it's true. I just get up, put on the workout gear I've set out the night before and get out the door. I don't allow myself to make excuses. I'm also signed up for a bootcamp at 5:30 am - and I have friends and team mates counting on me. If I don't show up, I let them down (yes, guilt is a huge motivator for me). It's hard at first, but you get used to it and it just becomes routine. And believe me, I am NOT a morning person. If I can do it, anyone can do it.
  • nadiB
    nadiB Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    eye drops...toothbrush.....quick workout.....coffee......YES I do all this just to wake up! I HATE getting up:mad: , but once I have done these I am ok, then I can start getting ready for my day :smile:
  • eAddict
    eAddict Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Pee
    Ditto. Then fire up the coffee maker.
  • cynthiatwayne
    Options
    I used to be a morning workout person and had to switch to nights because of a schedule change. I love nights because it keeps me from sitting around all night wanting food but I so miss mornings. This week I started a quick 1.5 mile incline walk on my treadmill and some crunches on my ball just to get the blood pumping and I am really enjoying it. Takes about 30 minutes but its a great way to start the day...and keeps me more focused on my goals as the day progresses too....a real win/win.
  • green022
    green022 Posts: 115
    Options
    Glass of water and then get to it before i have time to decide not too lol
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I have my clothes laid out the night before. So when my alarm goes off at 5:15 I get up, get dressed in the dark, go pee, brush my teeth, fill my water bottle, and I'm out the door. I love being done by 7:00. It feels really good.
  • Serendipityunt
    Serendipityunt Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I try to make it to the gym three times during my work week, but I know I won't make it most of the time if I wait until the afternoon. I try to go in the morning, so I set my clothes out the night before. Sometimes my body just knows it's almost time to get up and I'm waking up 10 minutes before my alarm. That's when I really don't have any excuses anymore.
  • Kristinam921
    Kristinam921 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I do both. I work out in the morning before work to wake up and get my metabolism pumping. Then a protein shake. Then when I get home in the evenings to wind down. Nothing better than a hot shower after a sweaty work out to relax. That's just what works for me. Some people don't like getting up any earlier than they have to. I just do it because it helps get me going and keeps me energized.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Rarely do I workout first thing, but when I do I eat something light e.g. Protein Gel and let that digest a little. By then, I'm awake and ready to go.
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Live in a house with four people and one bathroom - if I don't get up and go to the gym, I don't get to shower in the morning.

But exercise at night if that is a thing you'll stick to, whatever works. Personally, I have to do it before I wake up enough to come up with excuses why I shouldn't.
  • alimarie53
    alimarie53 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Pee, brush my teeth (morning breath is yucky), get all my workout gear on, grab a cup of coffee and my water bottle than get out the door.

I'm NOT a morning person, but I wakeup at 5am to get a workout in. I have to stick the basics...anything more complicated and the SheHulk comes out of me.
  • xilka
    xilka Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I get up at 6am, put on my workout clothes, and do 30-40mins, usually circuit training.

Nighttime workouts are out for me, because I like a beer with dinner... :drinker:

So I do my early morning workout, and then another, shorter, one mid-morning.
  • baldk
    baldk Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    wee then exercise b4 any kids or fella gets up its my time uninterrupted calorie burn gets me going for the day :0)