Help with sushi

Options
Junisahn
Junisahn Posts: 166 Member
Hi,

I'm going to a local sushi place for dinner tonight. It's the first time I'm eating at a restaurant since beginning to track my calories. It's a mom & pop place. I plan to stay away from california rolls and other creamy things, but am wondering if any sushi connoisseurs (I am not one) can give me a few more tips on what to look for that won't blow my whole day out of the water, or warnings on what to avoid. I looked at other sushi rolls and sashimi (which I love) in the database, and threw a few rolls on my day's food count just to get an idea of what I'll need to budget, but am just trying to avoid major hidden high calorie rolls.

Also - anyone know the scoop on desserts at sushi places? I've never eaten dessert at one before.

Thanks, Wendy

Replies

• erica79
    erica79 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    i am not an expert at all but i read on MSN the other day that sushi can be pretty good for you as long as you avoid anything fried. It was more the sodium i believe you need to watch. The only dessert i rememeber seeing was ice cream and fried ice cream.
  • cakefaery
    Options
    Hi I just came across a web site with some nutritional information.
    Hopefully this will help.

http://www.caloriesinsushi.com/
  • Junisahn
    Options
    Ah - that's perfect! Thanks for the link - that's just what I needed - a list to get an idea of what might be a "safe" choice.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Sashimi is ultimately the BEST choice you can make at a sushi bar. I ate some last night, actually :)

The miso soup is good, small salads are good (watch the dressing, though).
  • Junisahn
    Options
    Well, I made some smart choices at the sushi place, but did not make the smart choice to stop eating when I was full, and cannot believe that I consumed 900 calories of fantastic food.

Luckily, the type of food sushi is kept me full for a l-o-n-g time, and a light dinner was all I needed. Still under for the day!