Weekly Dinners Out & Weightloss...any advice you guys?

Options
Hi all,
It's not something I look to do. But, I tend to end up eating out at least once a week with friends or for some event. This week on Friday, I'm eating out with my hubby and some of the people he works with for a celebration dinner at a froo-froo restaurant. Then on Saturday is a friends birthday party. Though we won't be able to make the actual party (thank goodness I get to save on the drinking), we will be going out with her and some others at a restuarant called Cantina. When I've gone to Cantina in the past, I've always ordered 2 fish tacos (LOVE THEM) and queso con chorizo. Next week, a few friends/fellow bridesmaids want to meet out for dinner to discuss wedding stuff with the bride

I'm working out 6 days this week (burning, on average, 530 calories at the gym) and watching my calorie intake (keeping it around 1400 daily) to try my best to stay ahead of the calories that I won't be able to count at those dinners.

Though I know that I don't need a 16oz steak with a loaded bake potato, for the froo-froo restaurant, I'll probably end up ordering an awesome fish with some kind of yummy polenta and greens or a filet with a few lobster tails.

Do dinners like these derail weightloss efforts?! Should I become a hermit? LOL!
Honestly, I don't see myself going out an ordering a salad with no cheese, no dressing, and just a spritz of vinegar. I mean, really. I'm not even going to pretend I'd remotely do that ;)

Any suggestions!?

Replies

• DietFemme
    Options
    Look at your calories over the course of the week rather than at just one day.
    I calorie cycle so I can splurge at the weekends (still on healthy-ish stuff, just higher calories, or have a few drinks).
    Hasn't impeded me at all. Down 58lbs in just over a year.
    Enjoy your noms!
  • BCSMama
    BCSMama Posts: 348
    Options
    Nah, I think you've got a good plan. I tend to look at calories consumed on a weekly basis anyway. As long as it all evens out, I think you'll be okay. Just don't freak out if the next day or two after one of the big dinners you see an increase on the scale. If you do use a scale, make your weekly weigh ins the day before the dinners. Most restaurant meals have tons of sodium, which will make you retain water and take a couple of days to get out of your system.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Though I know that I don't need a 16oz steak with a loaded bake potato, for the froo-froo restaurant, I'll probably end up ordering an awesome fish with some kind of yummy polenta and greens or a filet with a few lobster tails.

Do dinners like these derail weightloss efforts?! Should I become a hermit? LOL!
    Honestly, I don't see myself going out an ordering a salad with no cheese, no dressing, and just a spritz of vinegar. I mean, really. I'm not even going to pretend I'd remotely do that ;)

Any suggestions!?

Fish is always a good choice, or a reasonably sized steak.. and yes avoid the loaded potato or twice baked ones..
    Eat what you like, enjoy the meal, and just don't over do it.

Oh and Don't bother getting on the scale for the next 3-5 days after you eat.. You will show a gain in weight.
  • skyblu263
    skyblu263 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!!! This makes me feel a lot better!!!
  • Terree83
    Options
    Go out and enjoy... and do not become a hermit! :)

I'm totally on board with what these guys are saying... as long as you're not eating that way every night you'll be fine. But there was some good advice... do not hop on the scale the very next day because you will definitely show weight gain. I'm always bad about that and completely freak out. It'll go back down after you go back to eating normal!
  • kellyraesmik
    kellyraesmik Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I think you have a good plan. Watch your weekly calorie intake and exercise.
    My husband loves to go out to eat pretty much every weekend, and I get sucked into it... and I do not just order a plain salad when we do it.... and it seems to be fine for me with my weight loss. It's okay to splurge every once in a while: cheat day! But I do watch my calories very carefully during the week and exercise about 5-6 days a week (at least 35 minutes cardio/bodyweight exercises), sometimes everyday during a week. Enjoy your nights out! :)
  • KReduced
    KReduced Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I am also dealing with this! I went to the restaurant website and found the nutrition for where we are going tonight. I picked a yummy sounding but still lower cal diner for tonight! I would say that the restaurant website (if available) would be a great tool so even if you go over you still know what your eating. Good luck!
  • lesliefb
    lesliefb Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    The thing that really gets ya at a restaurant is the calories they add that you don't know about. For example, high end restaurants put butter on their steaks. This is something I'd never do at home, so I wouldn't think to add it to my food log.

I agree with the others, just plan for it by eating smaller lunches, or eat light on days you're not eating out. Like 1100 calories on a home day and 1800 on a restaurant day, to average out to 1450, for example.