chia seeds or flax seeds?

Options
I've been eating flax seeds for a while in my daily oatmeal. I love the additional fiber and vitamins in it. I have heard a lot lately about chia seeds. I've read mixed reviews about which is "better for you." I know both have good benefits, but I was curious which of the two do people eat more? And why?

Replies

• amyann2
    amyann2 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Can I ask -- do you grind your flax seeds? I've heard that because they're so small, the body will pass them without breaking them down if they aren't ground first. But then so many flax crackers and flax products don't grind them so I'm not sure if those are doing the body any good.

Hoping someone has info on chia seeds.....
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I put ground flaxseed meal in my oatmeal every morning so I eat that more. I have chia seeds too though and put them in various other things on occasion. Will be adding them to my lunch salad today!
  • chavens85
    Options
    Can I ask -- do you grind your flax seeds? I've heard that because they're so small, the body will pass them without breaking them down if they aren't ground first. But then so many flax crackers and flax products don't grind them so I'm not sure if those are doing the body any good.

Hoping someone has info on chia seeds.....

I JUST read today you need to grind them first! Yikes! I haven't been grinding them at all! I just throw a couple tsp in my oatmeal! I may have to grind them now...
  • johnjkkelly
    Options
    I use the flax oil in my oatmeal, sorry I'm not sure about the chia seeds, except you put them on your chia head. No really its gross tapioca balls texturally bad, so i'll stick with the flax oil
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I use both seeds. Sometimes I place them in oatmeal, on a salad, rice, soup or stew.
  • ammiehill79
    ammiehill79 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I put chia seeds in my juices and I find that they swell when in liquids making my juices more filling!!
  • Wade406
    Wade406 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I add ground flax seed meal to my oatmeal. My information source says they are a reliable source of omega-3 fat. I've never used chia seeds.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Hemp seeds FTW!
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I've been eating flax seeds for a while in my daily oatmeal. I love the additional fiber and vitamins in it. I have heard a lot lately about chia seeds. I've read mixed reviews about which is "better for you." I know both have good benefits, but I was curious which of the two do people eat more? And why?

They really are not that different but, yes, you need to grind your flax to get the benefits. IMO ground flax tastes like grit or cardboard, when I next run out I will be purchasing chia to see if that is more palatable.
  • atrebor18
    atrebor18 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I just started using chia seeds, I put them in my smoothies. I first grind them up with oatmeal and then add yogurt, fruit, and almond milk, whatever combo I want. Its important that they sit in the fridge at least 4 hours so it softens up and becomes more thick and smoothie like. I have one for breakfast everyday (sometimes lunch too) and they keep me full and happy.
    However my bf has this theory that they aren't good because the package says they are an aztec super food and the aztec's got wiped out so obviously chia seeds did nothing for them. hahaha he does drink his every morning too!
  • jtslim42
    jtslim42 Posts: 240
    Options
    I use chia seeds in everything. It doesn't take much and they make you feel full.
  • jtslim42
    jtslim42 Posts: 240
    Options
    However my bf has this theory that they aren't good because the package says they are an aztec super food and the aztec's got wiped out so obviously chia seeds did nothing for them. hahaha he does drink his every morning too!

BAHAHA! I never thought of that! I might have to rethink using them....:ohwell:
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I eat more chia then flax. Chia is eaten raw wheras flax gives me some hearburn if I eat too much of it.

I'm sprouting chia too.
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I eat both regularly. And hemp seeds too!!
  • chavens85
    Options
    I eat both regularly. And hemp seeds too!!

Okay, I have heard of hemp before, but I am not familiar at all with them! I will have to look into them!

Thanks for the feedback! I can't believe I've been eating flax seeds whole for over a year now without grinding them! I loved the ease and just adding them into things-- smoothies, oatmeal, pancakes, etc. Now I know they need to be ground, just prior to use. I'm going to pick up some chia seeds now too!
  • Wade406
    Wade406 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Although the Institute of Medicine has not set a recommended daily intake for omega-3 fatty acids, it has established adequate intake amounts of between 1.1 and 1.6 grams a day for adults. One tablespoon of ground flaxseed provides 1.6 grams of omega-3 fatty acids.
  • theresagrisanti
    Options
    I use chia seeds mostly because flax seeds go rancid so easily. If you use flax be sure to grind them just before you eat them and don't buy ground flax.

As for chia they are a superfood, complete protein, hold 90% of their weight in water so they help with weight loss and hydration. IMO Chia seeds are far superior to flax.