Eating Good But Still Gaining Weight?

Options
I don't know what to do, I have been using the MFP web site for over a year and I weigh more today than I have ever weighted in my life! Of course I am not blaming MFP. Is it hormones? I just turned 50 and went through menopause. I have two kids 9 & 13, so I get a lot of activity. I am a vegetarian and I think I think I eat pretty healthy, definitely better than my skinny friends! The only thing I can think of is to up the workouts! Anyone else in this situation? I Hate being this FAT!

Replies

• samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    You could open your diary. I am sure you would get some useful help/opinions.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    My thought is that after being 90% consistent with logging my food for at least 3 weeks, if I don't see a loss, then I'll start tweaking something (like lowering my calorie allowance). Right now my problem is being consistent, so that might be why I'm not meeting my goals. I don't know what your issue is, but start with being absolutely honest and consistent with logging. Those extra bites, nibbles, licks, and tastes count whether you log them or not.
  • BardstownBabe
    Options
    thanks I will review.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I don't want to sound harsh but you may be eating well but the only way you'll gain weight is if you're eating more calories than you're expending.

If you suspect that you're suffering from a metabolic disorder you should consult with a medical professional for testing (similarly, it it's available locally you may want to get your RMR tested)

The other thing is that your profile & food diary is private (which is ok) If you haven't been logging diligently get into the habit, if you have been logging your food it may be possible that you're estimating serving sizes? Use a food scale and try to be as accurate as possible.

If you're working out on a regular basis are you using a heart rate monitor or the estimates provided by cardio machines? (most of them grossly over estimate the calories burned which in turn fools people into thinking they can eat more)

Log every thing and strive for accurate calories consumed and calories expended. If you're eating at a deficit you will not put on fat.
  • nikkilou_hawley
    Options
    Have you tried measuring your fat? Its ok to gain weight as long as it is good weight.
  • ptjolsen
    ptjolsen Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Have you ever done a body composition test?
  • mlf70
    mlf70 Posts: 16
    Options
    By chance, have you ever been tested for a wheat or other food allergy? I just recently found out that I have an allergy to wheat. So even though I was eating whole grain breads, pastas, etc..., I would put weight on due to water retension and internal inflammation. If you've been consistently eating a food that you are allergic to, weight loss becomes very difficult.
  • BardstownBabe
    Options
    No will ask my doc about it
  • Reneesanders2470
    Reneesanders2470 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    When I first started exercising, I gained weight, muscle weighs more t han fat. It took me longer than I wanted to lose the weight, Make sure you are taking measurements as well... exercise is a key factor in any weight loss. Not the normal every day activities, our bodies become used to that. I also have an 8 year old and 2 grandchildren I chase around all the time, but it is not cardio at all, we need to get our blood pumping. Hormones could be an issue, I had a hysterectomy, my hormones are out of control. I am over 40, our body slows down. My fella eats all day and all evening and remains thin, I can't do that with him, but Lord knows I want to.

my advise to you:

Watch your choices.... lower your fat intake, bump up your whole grains, and raw fruits and vegetables. I am ignorant on the veg. diet, but I do know you need to make sure you are eating enough proteins, about 5-7 ounces every day. (1/2 cup cooked beans is 1 oz of proteins, 2 tablespoons of peanutbutter is 1 oz. 1 egg is 1 oz) Get 45 minutes or more of PLANNED physical activity 5 days a week, (brisk walking, jogging, dancing, yard work) anything that will raise your heartrate and make you sweat.

Best of luck to you :) Renee
  • Reneesanders2470
    Reneesanders2470 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    P.S. SKINNY does not mean healthy. Many I know that are skinny skip meals, are always sick and are tired all the time.
    :smile:
  • MJannelle
    Options
    When I eat vegetarian I tend to gain weight because I adore cheese and will eat too much of it. I try to eat vegan and it helps me keep my weight down.

Even if you're eating healthy/clean/whole/unprocessed foods you can still overeat!
  • keesha27
    keesha27 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    It could be a number of things going on. You said you just hit menopause. That in and of itself can trigger a few things. I had a hard time losing weight with Weight Watchers and I was eating well and working out with a personal trainer. I was even running, to no avail. I could not lose the weight like I thought I should. I met a natural health doctor and she told me due to not having my gall bladder, my liver was extremely sluggish. Sounds crazy? Well, the gall bladder is designed to seperate the fats from the food we consume and because I didn't have one, my liver was working over time. No matter how healthy I ate, what did not get absorbed through my liver turned into fat. My doctor told me, as a result, no matter how well I eat or how much I work out, I would not lose weight until my liver was repaired. After running test, she was able to determine that my body was able to metabolize, but I would need to take natural medicines to repair my liver. God has designed our bodies to repair itself. Well, I am proud to report I am dropping two pounds every week now.

I say all this to say, something could very well be going on in internally that needs attention. Before I met my natural health doctor, my regular doctor could not tell me one thing about why I was struggling to get the weight off. I had dieticians, health classes, etc, etc. My natural health doctor was able to point me in the right direction. I can't say I was a fan or believer of natural health medicine prior to my first visit, but I was willing to see what she had to offer. Everything she pointed to was on point with my symptoms. So, don't be discouraged. Women go through WAAAAAYYYY more physical changes than men. I would encourage you to have your thyroid checked out since you said you are dealing with menopause. If you have access to someone who practices natural medicine, try it. They work really well at finding the root of the problem and sending you to your regular doctor for treatment if it's something that requires major medical attention. Best wishes!!
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Do you have a digital food scale?