Hi, I'm new

Options
lopo
lopo Posts: 14 Member
Just wondering if anyone has any words of encouragement. I really need to lose weight. I have type 2 diabetes, 2 children I am afarid I won't keep up with in a little while and just feel blah in general. I have tried to lose weight in the past and have been successful sometimes but I always lose my motivation. This time I am hoping to do it right. I just has my second and last baby 3 months ago and I am ready to make a positive change in my health, I just hope I can keep it up. I have 82.5 lbs to lose to get to my goal and right now that seems like an impossible task. I guess I shouls start off slow. wish me luck!!!

Replies

• KimmyBee
    KimmyBee Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Its nice to see anyone trying to lose weight, especially with the added hurdle of diabetes.

My grandmother suffers too but has inveitably given up and accepted it will cause her to gain loads of weight without even trying to fight it. I'm sure thats the same for many more people.

You should feel proud of yourself simply for taking that first step and knowing it will lead to the next step and the next. before you know it you will have walked a mile and be exactly where you want to be!

Good luck! and congrats!
  • Miljoy
    Miljoy Posts: 3
    Options
    You can do it!......just set 'small' goals and then reward yourself when you accomplish each goal - like after the first 10 lbs buy yourself something nice, get a massage, pedicure, manicure etc. you will feel good and then proceed to your next goal! we can do this together....JEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!!
  • glynn2010
    Options
    Before you can finish you must get started. You are taking the first step, now take one step at a time and you will see the rewards in the end. Add friends to help keep you motivated, because support is an important part. I wish you much success!!!
  • merguson
    merguson Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    MFP is a great place to get started! It really has helped me. Try setting a realistic attainable mini goal, then when you have reached that goal, reward yourself with something. Maybe a new top, shoes, manicure, what everyou like. Then set your next mini goal. Best wishes to you on your journey to a new you! You can do it!!!:flowerforyou:
  • themetra
    themetra Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I agree with everybody else - mini goals are huge! MFP is a great place to start, lots of encouragement and all kinds of info! I am sure you will do well. :smile:
  • mromnek
    mromnek Posts: 325
    Options
    Just wondering if anyone has any words of encouragement. I really need to lose weight.
    Like they say in any 12 step program... The first step is admitting you have a problem. :happy:
    I have type 2 diabetes, 2 children I am afarid I won't keep up with in a little while and just feel blah in general.
    I have just started learning about type 2 diabetes and its relationship to weight. I am sure you are aware that the two are not only linked, but affect each other. The good news is that I saw on Biggest Loser a contestant went from having type 2 diabetes to not having type 2 diabetes through her weight loss. Here is your motivation!! :bigsmile:
    I have tried to lose weight in the past and have been successful sometimes but I always lose my motivation. This time I am hoping to do it right.
    Don't try. Resolve to do it. Dedicate your life to doing it (because if you have type 2 diabetes, your life depends upon it). :glasses:
    I just has my second and last baby 3 months ago and I am ready to make a positive change in my health, I just hope I can keep it up.
    Again, here is your motivation. You just brought a second child into this world. For what, for them to watch their mother kill herself? Do this for your children and your grandchildren. :glasses:
    I have 82.5 lbs to lose to get to my goal and right now that seems like an impossible task. I guess I shouls start off slow. wish me luck!!!
    I refuse to wish you luck... because if you are looking for luck to lose weight, your in the wrong place.:noway: I DO wish you success! I would say start off at what ever pace you feel comfortable. Remember:
    1. This is not a race
    2. This is not a phase, it is a lifelong change in your behavior
    3. You will have good days and you will have bad days... just make sure the good days outnumber the bad.

Finally, with regards to the "impossible task:"
    Do you know how to eat an elephant? One bite at a time. :laugh: :laugh:
    Don't look at the final number. Do keep looking back however. Count your successes... and start with your decision to join MFP.

I have at least 73 lbs to go until my goal weight. I will see you when we cross that finish line together! :drinker: :drinker:
  • shaggys
    shaggys Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    1. This is not a race
    2. This is not a phase, it is a lifelong change in your behavior
    3. You will have good days and you will have bad days... just make sure the good days outnumber the bad.

Great quote!
    Congratulations on your new precious baby!
    You will find plenty of encouragement on this site,many in the same boat,you are never alone!
    Good luck:flowerforyou:
  • mjandrews83
    Options
    I am new to mfp as well, but in the short time I have been using mfp I have realized that it is a great TOOL in assisting your weight loss goals. I am a soldier in the National Guard and as I dont have the daily workout with my unit that active duty soldiers have, I must do something to control my weight on my own. Never realized how much writing down (or typing out) what I was eating could help. I need to take the weight off not only for my military career, but also to be there for my kids as they grow up. You made the choice to take of the weight for the reasons that you have stated but you claim you lose your motivation. Look at your children, they should be the only motivation you need. I stated that being there for my kids was my motivation, let me expoud. A bout six months ago my then three yr old daughter came up to me smacked my gut and said "Daddy why you look like santa's belly?" Now I wasn't in that bad of shape (28 BMI by army standards) but I had a gut because of the junk i was eating. But when my little girl said that I realized I needed a change. Started working out more regularly and eating healthier but wasnt seeing any results. Didn't know that it was because I hadn't reduced the calories i was consuming. since joining have lost nine pounds, while taking muscle building protein.
  • Shanzy
    Shanzy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I am Shannon and I am happy to meet you here. I also have 2 kids so I can relate to what you are saying. I have around 100 lbs. to lose. I can hardly believe that!! So, I can say that you have made the right choice to look after yourself for yourself and your family!! All the very best!!
  • lopo
    lopo Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for responding! Knowing I am not alone in this battle is a huge help.