A word on Stevia

Options
Well, it's several words. I'm not going to state my opinion one way or the other, as I am by no means an expert. I'd like to open the conversation of artificial sweeteners, natural alternative sweeteners, and sugar; though I'm sure it has been done before. Ideally, I'd like to hear what others who are willing to read this article have to say, but any input is valid.

http://www.cspinet.org/new/200808281.html

I'd also welcome any comments as to the validity and reliability of my source.

Replies

• Bluebox32
    Bluebox32 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I have never head of it being bad for you.
  • atamrowski
    atamrowski Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Hate the taste. Bought some to put in my coffee this morning; couldn't even drink it. To me, the taste is profound and not natural to me. I use real table sugar (only table sugar I consume) or Splenda
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about starting an "I hate stevia" thread. My husband bought some Greek yogurt with stevia for me, thinking he was doing something really good, and I'm barely able to choke it down; such a nasty after-taste. And you know what's weird? There's also sugar on the ingredients list.
  • cwakeford
    cwakeford Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I hate the taste of Stevia and in general I do not like artificial sweeteners. I go out of my way to avoid aspartame, sucralose, stevia, HFCS, and all of that stuff. Sugar is only bad for you in excessive quantities anyway, just like anything else.

Sugar all the way!
  • luvMeMore
    Options
    I have personally stop using artificial sugars and drinking diet soda because of how crappy they make me feel.. It's been about 5 weeks and I can tell a diffence. Plus them made me crave more sweets..
    Everything I've read on it says it causes cancer.. So personally don't think it's good for you..
  • Meg_Shirley_86
    Meg_Shirley_86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Even yesterday I was so sure that if I were to replace sugar in anything, that Stevia was the best, but like you all, I do not care for the taste. It's not cheap either! I drink a lot of green tea and I do use Splenda in it. I just think it has the best taste. I guess I was just hoping in vain for a natural alternative to Splenda? I mean, it is processed, but if that's the worst thing I do for my health all day, I can live with that; but still.
  • Meg_Shirley_86
    Meg_Shirley_86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I have personally stop using artificial sugars and drinking diet soda because of how crappy they make me feel.. It's been about 5 weeks and I can tell a diffence. Plus them made me crave more sweets..
    Everything I've read on it says it causes cancer.. So personally don't think it's good for you..

I have to agree. I still use Splenda in my tea, but other than a few quick dinners prepared by my loving husband, I have been eating clean. I can't tell you how much better I feel or how much more energy I have without sounding like an advertisement. I have noticed other (quantifiable) differences in my health too, but I tend to hold back because people on the boards will call me out and say it's BS. Plus, it seems then that I am advocating for clean eating for weight loss, which pisses people off for some reason. Yes, I know it's not necessary. It's for your health, not weight loss. Though I know it has contributed to mine!
  • glassxxballerina
    Options
    I have been using Sugar in the Raw's "Stevia in the Raw" to cut calories in baking recipes - you use half regular sugar, half stevia.

When it comes to making cookies, I have to use real butter in conjunction with brown rice flour (gluten allergy) in order for the cookies to set up properly, so that makes for a lot of calories.

I'd recommend using Sugar in the Raw (unprocessed, crystallized sugar that has a brown tinge) when you can! To me, it tastes a lot sweeter than processed sugar so I'd assume you could use less.
  • sammkate
    sammkate Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    http://www.xylitol.org/questions-about-xylitol

Xylitol is a great alternative to sugar I think. It still has calories (10 per serving instead of 15 like sugar) and doesn't affect you the way sugar does. It's good for diabetics I believe. Tastes exactly like sugar to me and it's natural, not artifical.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I think it tastes funny.
  • MaggieSporleder
    MaggieSporleder Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    It doesn't seem like they are using Stevia. They've gone and chemically changed something natural to something unnatural once again. I'd avoid it. But that said, I am planning on growing Stevia in the spring, and using a leaf or two in my tea, to use that as my sweetener. Honestly I'd rather take the calories of real sugar, than the odd side effects of chemical sweeteners.
  • alexisu96
    alexisu96 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Agree about how it makes coffee taste aweful. Actually threw it away. Went back to real sugar. Any experience with baking, do you notice ?
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Wait. I may have bingo...
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I use Stevia every day in oatmeal, coffee, tea, Greek yogurt, ect. I don't have a problem with the taste or anything.
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    http://www.xylitol.org/questions-about-xylitol

Xylitol is a great alternative to sugar I think. It still has calories (10 per serving instead of 15 like sugar) and doesn't affect you the way sugar does. It's good for diabetics I believe. Tastes exactly like sugar to me and it's natural, not artifical.

Keep it away from your puppies, though!

ETA: Although it does mention that in the article, I know some people won't click and read. Derp on me!
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I'd rather use real sugar. 15 calories per teaspoon is well worth it. I've yet to find any substitute that tastes as good.
  • Kristi336
    Kristi336 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Ugh. I tortured myself for about 3 days with Stevia in my coffee. I had hoped to learn to ignore the taste and I didn't want to waste money on the box I bought, but I just couldn't do it. So it's in the back of my pantry gathering dust. I actually switched to unsweetened coffee for a couple of weeks b/c even though I don't like the taste of coffee unsweetened it was better than the Stevia. Finally I broke down and went back to Splenda.
  • memcd911
    memcd911 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Stevia [in the raw] is the only sugar sub I can use... ALL others, but ESPECIALLY aspartame, cause migraines for me. I use it in my iced teas (flower or green, not black) and drink "all natural" soda made with it. I've also used it in coffee. I haven't used it to bake yet, but I'm sure I will.
  • Ashleigh1987
    Options
    My mom went on a kick where she had nothing but Splenda a few years back.... even the soda she drank had Splenda and and got really sick. The doctor said that is what caused her to have to have her Gaul bladder removed.
  • Aello11
    Aello11 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    stevia does have an aftertaste ... I started using Truvia which for me at least does not have any aftertaste