Office Workers - What do you eat?

Options

Replies

• brewedtea
    brewedtea Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You said that salad is out because you need to eat hot food, which I can definitely understand as it is freezing here in Iowa! But, you can make 'hot' salad, or at least warm. Keep the lettuce/green veggies separate, so that they are room temp, and then heat up whatever protein you want, corn, peas, tofu, sweet potatoes, etc (whatever you like) and dressing in a bowl and pour on top! Plus it makes it easy to eat different foods each day.
  • citizencrp
    citizencrp Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Morning is the same every work day for me (an most weekends): oatmeal with cheese and currants or cranberries.
    Lunch varies, but this time of year it is almost always soup. If it's a can of soup, it's low sodium, high fiber, full of veggies and beans and under 400 calories for the whole can (which is ridiculously 2 servings according to the label) and under 750 mgs of sodium. My best nutrition days are when I have Chicken soup: low calorie, tons of protein, and filling.
    I'll often add a serving of oyster crackers or a small piece of whole grain bread. Sometimes, I'll add a yogurt to lunch or eat one as an afternoon snack.
    If lunch isn't soup it might be a sandwich with chicken or turkey or roast beef and I'll remove some of the bread.
    Dinner is a total grab bag but I usually have 800 calories left for the day after lunch, so I have room for an easy dinner and dessert of some kind, because I have to have something sweet, even if it's just a yogurt with fruit or a piece of chocolate (or the occasional real dessert).
  • drojen
    drojen Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    There are single serving size Crockpots out there that you could get and plug into your office area (if it's allowed, of course) or use the microwave at work.

I bring a salad - and it's almost always the same - mixed greens, mushrooms, peppers, 50 g of chicken, calorie wise Greek dressing. I might change up the meat and add other veggies if I have them. I also bring a yogurt and clementines or other fruit to take the edge off in the morning or afternoon if I need it. So far I haven't gotten bored. I will likely change up the veggies and the salad dressing choice if i find it's getting boring.

For breakfast - one egg (sometimes the real thing, sometimes Egg Beaters) scrambled with mushrooms and spinach and 15 g of shredded cheese. No toast or other carb, plus a coffee or chai tea latte, depending on my mood. I find if I have carbs like toast or 1/2 bagel in the morning, I get hungry sooner. If I start my day with protein, I don't. Sometimes I'll have a smoothie with fruit, milk, protein powder, if I'm pushed for time.

Supper is homemade something and usually the same for 2 nights due to leftovers. I love those nights when I don't have to think about what to cook! In the evening if I need a snack, I might have some cereal with a tiny bit of 1% milk and some fruit and/or that chai tea latte (if I didn't have it in the morning). I have a Tassimo and those lattes have just the right amount of sweet that it curbs my desire for anything else.
  • nursestewart
    nursestewart Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    bump
  • liz827
    liz827 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Definitely plan your meals out! We have lots of microwave and fridges around my building so it does make it a little easier for lunch.

Breakfast: I've been on an egg kick lately for breakfast, so I'll microwave 1 egg, 1 egg white, some pepper and put that on an everything thin bagel with a little bit of ketchup and 2 slices of low sodium turkey bacon. If I don't have that I'll have bowl of Trader Joe's apple cinnamon oatmeal or a shake. I usually have a banana in the AM with my breakfast too with a mug of green tea. I'll occasionally splurge on a specialty coffee too... they are my weakness!!

Snack: Usually consists of apple and cheese stick or maybe a protein bar if I'm not having it for my PM snack.

Lunch: Soup, leftovers from dinner or I'll get something out if I didn't bring anything. Today I have a leftover Weight Watchers chicken tender, 4 slices of turkey breast, 2 cups 50/50 salad blend, 3 mini Pero peppers, 2 tbsp sliced olives, 1/4 cup black beans, 1/4 cucumber, 1/4 cup green pepper and 2 tbsp of FF Ranch dressing. Usually I'll add a couple tablespoons of lemon juice but since I had black beans today I thought it wouldn't taste too good :ohwell: I'll add a can of tuna for protein if I don't have any protein left from my leftovers. If I need to eat out, I'll go to Wendy's and get a small chili and baked potato or Chick-Fil-A and get the chargrilled chicken & fruit salad and use 1/2 pouch of the honey mustard dressing... yum!

Snack: Today it's a cup of green tea and a nature valley bar with protein. Other days I'll have Oikos Greek Yogurt, or some oatmeal, a piece of fruit, some veggies or maybe a 100 calorie snack pack if it's just one of those days. I'll have 1/2 a serving of almonds too if I'm still hungry, that's about 11 almonds.

Since I take leftovers from dinner for lunch sometimes I'll give you some of those too. When I make baked chicken, I usually bake off however much I can fit on the tray that way I have left overs for the rest of the week. With the chicken, I dice and add to salads, add to a can of soup when I reheat and I shred it and make my own quesadillas to re-heat. If I'm lazy, I'll just take the chicken with a side of rice and veggie and not turn it into anything else :laugh: I also make turkey/lean beef burgers and have enough for lunch the next day. I either eat it with or without the bun or I'll crumble it up on a salad and make a taco salad. I make pasta occasionally and take that. Usually I'll take 1/2 a portion and add in a side salad with some extra veggies. With a jar of sauce, I like to defrost a box of spinach and add that in for some added nutritional value. Steak is always good sliced up and added to a salad or to make a quesadilla/taco.

I also like baking up a bag of shrimp and eating it throughout the week. I just made some lemon garlic baked shrimp and added it some salad for a couple days. Tilapia is fine reheated too.

I've been eating some of the same things lately but my diary is open if you want to take a look... feel free to add me too.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    For me, breakfast is always the same, except for weekends. Lunches are often leftovers from the night before or leftovers from a batch of something I made over the weekend, usually soup/stew/casserole of some kind. Sometimes I don't have leftovers of any kind and then I have a few go to quick lunches I can prepare either the night before or in the morning. Dinner is always my variety meal...rarely if ever left overs and rarely something I've had in the past week or so unless something just comes up and I don't have time or whatever to make something.

It definitely helps me to pretty much plan my week out...helps me with grocery shopping as well and keeps me from having to run to the store nightly which not only saves me time, but I'm far less tempted to buy something that I really don't need lying around the house.
  • tapdance66
    Options
    breakfast - small egg white omelet (I use liquid egg whites, one serving) with some kind of mix in (veggies or small amt reduced fat cheese). Usually I'll put it on a sandwich skinny or an english muffin so it fills me up and holds me until lunch. When I get sick of that, I do oatmeal and a piece of fruit.

lunch - as soon as I'm done cooking dinner, I immediately measure out 1/2 serving size of whatever I have (my dinner meals tend to have more calories) and put it in a container to bring to work and heat up. If we don't cook at home, I typically bring a salad or 1/2 sandwich and some fruit or veggies.

If I get hungry in the afternoon, I snack on a few pretzels or some fruit.

I think it's important to know your body and how you need to eat. For example, I get to work and eat breakfast at 6AM. By 10:30, I am ready for lunch because I work out in the AM before work and my body consumes my breakfast FAST. I don't try to wait until a regular "lunchtime." I just eat my lunch at 10:30 and then I am usually ok until I leave for the day at 4PM. I gave up feeling guilty about that a long time ago and just learned what my rhythm was and what worked for me. I tended to eat a lot more if I tried to wait.

I rarely eat out. Maybe once or twice a year and it will usually be a holiday luncheon or a celebratory luncheon of some sort. When those happen, I research the restaurant before we go and make my choice then. Usually it will be soup & a salad.

I agree with what a lot of others have said - planning is key, key, key. When I was in the midst of losing 150 pounds, I planned every single bite on Sunday night and I rarely wavered. Now that I've been in maintenance for 10 years, I don't necessarily have to do that b/c I've gotten used to shopping and cooking smart. But I always make sure to plan out my meals the night before so I know exactly what I have to work with. If I have the opportunity to squeeze in an extra workout during my assigned lunch hour, I count those as "treat calories" for the evening. Rarely use them but it's nice to know I can have a sweet or salty something if I absolutely have to have it.

Good luck!!
  • Saaaam42
    Saaaam42 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I have lots of oranges, and raspberries if I can get them. Crispy minis. Greek yogurt. Lots of tea!!
  • dems11
    dems11 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    This morning had a poached egg and one half of a cinnamon-raisin English muffin, toasted. This week, I 've had peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for lunch, at room temperature...
  • VanillaBeanSeed
    VanillaBeanSeed Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I have a Tupperware container with two compartments and I fill it with different things! Like snacks for a meal.. things that might not seem to go together, but can be eaten all seperately as a meal. :D

Things I like to put in in any combo:

Trail Mix
    Whit thins
    Fruits
    Veg
    Yogurt
    Carbs (a bagel or sandwich)

ANYTHING! I meal doesn't have to be a composed thing on a plate.. it can be many things!
  • MrsPong
    MrsPong Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I have tea in the morning before work, maybe an apple or banana
    Around 9:30-10A I have my breakfast, I like to bring frozen breakfast sandwhich -250 calories keeps me full really long. (watch Salt)
    Lunch around 12:30-1P - I bring left overs from dinner or soup (watch salt) and sandwhich. It changes alot.
    Snack: around 3-4pm- Greek yogurt most of the time and some low calorie hot chocolate.

I keep a drawer with some snacks in it thats low calorie in case I'm really hungry. I try to get more protein to fill me up.
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I hate microwaves... that's an understatement... dispise them is more like it! Unless it's soup, I eat my food cold. It kills all of the nutrients in food :P

Anyway, you can check my diary, everything before "supper" is what I eat at work.
  • atamrowski
    atamrowski Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I make "stoup" in the crock pot, portion it into ziploc bags and freeze. When I reheat at work I add at least a cup of water to turn it into a big bowl of soup.

That is a wonderful idea! Never thought of that! I will have to try
  • atamrowski
    atamrowski Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Every week is different since I am in sales so most of the time I am in my office and sometimes not. The days I am in I have:

Breakfast: Coffee and yogurt with flaxseed (this is fiber; good for that feel full longer).

Lunch: Either soup and/or salad with a protein. I started boiling parts of chicken (I am a dark meat person so I use skinless drums/thighs) and boil them with seasonings. I put in a Ziploc bag so when I make my lunch, I'll bring a portion of that along with my sides. Sides are generally a sweet potato, rice, soup or salad (green leafy or cucumber/tomato/olive salad).

Snack: cheese and fruit or hard boiled egg.

Lots of water and Mio in between
  • Kelley528
    Kelley528 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    My rotating breakfast options:
    english muffin, 1 slice fat free cheese, 2 slices lean turkey bacon, tomato: 188 calories
    Oatmeal with half a banana: 200 cal
    Thin apple slices, 1 serving mixed berry jam on a 50 g croissant: 248 cal
    Croisant, fat free cheese, onions, tomato: 215 cal

Snacks:

Dannon Light and Fit yogurt: 80 cal
    zip lock bag of pretzels: 110 cal
    Apple or Orange: 80 cal
    Pineapple or strawberries ( 35-50 calories)

Lunch is whatever left overs from the night before. This week it has been low-fat chili with black beans and brown rice: 265
    Non-fried chicken cutlet, broccoli, brown rice, low-cal bbq sauce:287 cal
    Tomorrrow will be a whole wheat wrap with my leftover chili, chicken, and rice :): 318 calories
  • amyann2
    amyann2 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I make a ground turkey skillet lasagna (no baking the noodles!) that divdes into 4 perfect portions that I freeze in individual Pyrex bowls so can be reheated in microwave at work. I adapted this from a magazine recipe that used ground beef, and manage to cut the Weight Watchers points in half! Here is the recipe if you are interested:

Ground Turkey Skillet Lasagna
    4 servings

- 1 tsp olive oil
    - approx 10 oz ground turkey (half of one 20 oz package – Jennie O 99% fat free)
    - 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
    - 2 tsp Italian seasoning, divided
    - 3 uncooked lasagna noodles, broken into pieces (Ronzoni whole wheat)
    - 1 14.5 oz can petite diced tomatoes (with juice)
    - 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
    - 1/2 cup diced carrot
    - 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
    - 1/4 cup water
    - 1 1/2 cup pasta sauce (Prego traditional), divided
    - 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (part-skim)

Directions

1. Heat olive oil in skillet and cook ground turkey until done
    2. Add balsamic vinegar and 1 tsp Italian seasoning and stir to coat
    3. Add 3/4 cup pasta sauce and stir to coat
    4. Top with broken noodles, making one flat layer
    5. Sprinkle diced green and red pepper and diced carrots over noodles, spreading evenly
    5. Pour diced tomatoes over noodles, spreading evenly
    6. Pour water over noodles
    7. Sprinkle with other teaspoon of Italian seasoning
    7. Pour the other 3/4 cup pasta sauce over noodles, spreading evenly
    8. Bring mixture to boil
    9. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes
    10. Remove from heat, then uncover and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
    11. Cover and let stand.
    12. When skillet is cool, put in refrigerator overnight to allow flavors to blend
    13. Cut into 4 wedges. Optional: pour an additional 1/4 to 1/3 cup pasta sauce on top of each wedge. Heat in microwave and serve. Also freezes well.
  • amyann2
    amyann2 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    P.S. I should have noted -- dice the carrots really small, so they cook through in that short a time.
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    I'm always in a rush getting ready for work, I never have time to 'put together' a healthy lunch. So, knowing this, I plan ahead for my lack of time in the morning. When my husband grills chicken, he always grills twice as much as we will eat and then portions out 4-5 oz into ziplock baggies. I always have big bags of frozen veggies in the freezer, they are easily transfered to bags or tupperware in the morning (and very cheap!). My daughter loves apples, so we always have a bag of apples in the fridge, they make great snacks with some pb2. My other daughter eats protein bars before she swims, so we always have them in the house too, they make another great snack. If all this fails, and we have none of the above in the house (which is rare) I usually freeze leftovers from dinner. That way we aren't stuck eating the same thing two days in a row, and I always have something I can take for lunch.
  • mllst18
    mllst18 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I keep healthy snacks in my desk like 90 calorie brownies, protein bars, you get the idea.

Lunch- usually healthy choice or smart ones

Dinner- PINTEREST! Love this site :-)
  • purple_orchid
    purple_orchid Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Breakfast - oatmeal and a coffee
    Lunch - roasted cabbage, grilled veggies on lettuce
    Snack - carrot sticks, tomato slices, apple
    Dinner - egg creations, veggie patty...don't know