Discouraging Walk...:(

Options
2»

Replies

• krissa3670
    krissa3670 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I know the calories are a bit dissappointing but what you need to think about is that your being active, its more than the calories, its what its doing for you on the whole, moving about and getting the oxygen flowing through the body and the muscle being used, it all adds up. Keep at it, your doing a great job and if you want to add me as a friend then please do :)
  • anna0478
    anna0478 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Found out recently my NordicTrac automatically calculates calories burned based on a 185 pound male...Since I am neither, I have to go to a website and calculate my calories burned.
  • lasmit4477
    lasmit4477 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Like others have suggested, get a HRM.

However, it doesn't matter if you were to walk one mile or jog one mile, you still burn the same amount of calories. The only difference being the time it took for you to reach the mile.

Intensity is key and as your fitness level improves, you will need to increase intensity depending on your goals.
  • Siekobilly
    Siekobilly Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I've found that number to be rather inaccurate compared to using the formula provided by Journal of Sport Sciences, and a HRM:

Male:
    Calories = [(Age x 0.2017) -- (Weight x 0.09036) + (Heart Rate x 0.6309) -- 55.0969] x Time / 4.184

Female:
    Calories = [(Age x 0.074) -- (Weight x 0.05741) + (Heart Rate x 0.4472) -- 20.4022] x Time / 4.184
  • ameerah77
    ameerah77 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged... Your burning more calories than you would if you didn't excercise at all. Just keep at it.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Good Morning,

Does anyone else get to the end of a 1 to 2 mile walk on the treadmill, move the towel that is hiding the screen, and become discouraged to find out that you have burned very few calories?????

I have a NordicTrack C 900 Treadmill and I will admit that I havent done a lot of extra stuff on it. I usually jump on, hit manual, and get to walking...maybe there is somewhere I am supposed to enter my weight??????? Any suggestions on how to know if this is accurate?????

I have the C900 Pro. Did yours come with a chest strap? Mine did - a HRM that the machine will pick up. That will make it more accurate for sure, but there's still no where to enter height/weight/gender that I've found. Which is bizarre!
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Calories aren't the only benefit of regular exercise. My resting heart rate used to be 110. Now it's 72. So even though I "only" burn around 400 calories after walking for an hour, I'm in much better shape, and my heart is healthier. That's a win-win.
  • Shoechick5
    Shoechick5 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    For a mile, my dad's treadmill says I burn about 47 calories. My heart rate monitor says I burn around 120. That is at a 3.5 mph pace..

My HRM shows about 120 a mile too.
  • MizzJuicy
    Options
    Thanks Everyone! Walking and/or jogging outside would be great. However, it is COLD. And even though I have lived in Michigan my entire life, I still dont like to be outside in the very cold weather. In the past I would just not walk at all in the winter months, which is why I broke down and bought a treadmill. I will look into a heart rate monitor. And you guys make a good point, as long as I do more today than I did yesterday, I should be happy about that. I wont pay as much attention to the numbers...

Thanks Again!:happy:
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    Don't be discouraged... Your burning more calories than you would if you didn't excercise at all. Just keep at it.

My thoughts EXACTLY.

Your profile states you're still recovering from injuries.
    I was in maintenance mode until a head on collision this fall- in which I sustained less injuries than my daughter
    but a high ankle sprain, wrist fracture AND soft tissue damage to these areas and my neck/shoulders (whiplash)
    have made my rehab challenging.
    Even the brisk walking wasn't do-able until now.

Check out the burn MFP calculates for the miles per hour walk you'd do on foot.
    If you do one mile in 20 minutes, that's a 3 mph.
    It'll calculate it by your current weight, as long as the data you've entered is accurate.

I started this journey out by simply walking around my house, up and down stairs, speeding up....
    the calorie burn wasn't as important to me as getting into a new routine of doing something
    besides being sedentary.

Best Wishes to you~