sooo hungry

Options
hi ive started dieting yesterday and joined here today, im a chocaholic and love savory food pasties chesse and crisps my body is so craving something sweet i also drink alot of enegry drinks and am crashing because of lake of caffine and sugar, i need to get the weight off and change my life style just need support

Replies

• RobinC37
    RobinC37 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    hi ive started dieting yesterday and joined here today, im a chocaholic and love savory food pasties chesse and crisps my body is so craving something sweet i also drink alot of enegry drinks and am crashing because of lake of caffine and sugar, i need to get the weight off and change my life style just need support

WHEW!! Take a deep breath, because you're here. So here's the thing. It took me a while to make healthier eating choices, and I didn't dive in all it once. It sounds like you're getting overwhelmed, so grab a coffee with some milk and even a bit of sugar, make that headache go away, and just breathe.

You just joined here and you will get the help you need. This plan works if you commit. So that's the good news. You say you love chocolate- don't cut it out all together right now. See if you can survive this week with half your normal amount of chocolate. See if this week you can transition to baked crisps. There's a recipe for some yummy sweet potato ones on my blog that blow normal chips away. And if you do go a little overboard these first few weeks, don't stress. Just take a deep breath, walk a few blocks to burn some calories and settle down, and put yourself back on track.

Feel free to add me if you need cooking ideas, motivation, or tips! Welcome!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Nothing in your post indicates that you are actually hungry, just feeling lost due to missing your favorite foods.

Make sure you are filling up - cheeses, meats, nuts, whole grains and veggies prepared with healthy fats tend to do the best job of hanging on to that full filling.

You can have your favorites ... occasionally and in moderation. In the meantime, there are substitutes. I don't know of anything to replace energy drinks, but you could start by experimenting with teas.

Make sure you have realistic expectations. If you genuinely feel hungry (vs lost), make sure you have MFP set to only lose half a pound a week. You can adjust it later once you see how your body feels.
  • EjaneK11
    EjaneK11 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Caffeine is a hard thing to get over! I didn't drink energy drinks but I would have a lot of pop. What I am doing is drinking diet pop, trying to get only 1 or 2 bottles a day, so that way I still get my caffeine. For days that I don't drink diet pop I have nestea and use sweet n low with it. I also been drinking flavored water from hy-vee. If you can give up the energy drinks that will help, especially if you have a lot in a day.
  • tcosenza
    tcosenza Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I hate to say it but it will take some times for your body to get used to the change .... I know when I stopped drinking Soda for lent I had horrible headaches from time to time. I am not sure if your goal is to get rid of the calories from the energy drinks of the caffeine.. if it is the former you can try some black coffee it should dull the sensations. As far as hunger ... Drink Lots of water .. it is what getting me through now ... just start taking in 32 oz at a time .. it will make your stomach feel full for a time and hopefully get rid of your cravings ... Hang in there

TIAB!!!
  • nes1982
    Options
    I absolutely know the feelings you are going through. This year was my commitment for real. I am an avid diet soda drinker...was up to a 12 pack per day. I don't want to cut all the caffeine out, and I talked to my doctor. She said that the diet coke is fine as far as no calories, but just to be aware that even the fake sugar in the diet coke causes sweet food cravings. There are tons of low caolorie and 90 calorie snacks out there that still have chocolate and peanut butter (mmmm my favorite combination), that can get you through that sweet craving. Moderation and smart choices is key. I just started this site two days ago, but already I can tell this time is different. Having something in front of me to look at as I eat things really helps. I tend to enter foods I think I will eat to check their stats first...and if it is too much...I don't eat it....or I do and just know that I really have to exercise hard.

Personally, I said forget the headaches, I love my diet soda and I don't have to stop it as long as I am aware and responsible about the cravings for sweets. Good luck and hang in there!!!
  • Yellerie
    Yellerie Posts: 221 Member
    Options

WHEW!! Take a deep breath, because you're here. So here's the thing. It took me a while to make healthier eating choices, and I didn't dive in all it once. It sounds like you're getting overwhelmed, so grab a coffee with some milk and even a bit of sugar, make that headache go away, and just breathe.

You just joined here and you will get the help you need. This plan works if you commit. So that's the good news. You say you love chocolate- don't cut it out all together right now. See if you can survive this week with half your normal amount of chocolate. See if this week you can transition to baked crisps. There's a recipe for some yummy sweet potato ones on my blog that blow normal chips away. And if you do go a little overboard these first few weeks, don't stress. Just take a deep breath, walk a few blocks to burn some calories and settle down, and put yourself back on track.

Feel free to add me if you need cooking ideas, motivation, or tips! Welcome!

RobinC37 is right on the $. Diving in all at once & quitting everything together always made me want it more & that was a disaster. The hardest part for me is I alway want instant gratification & thats not how this works its about changing your lifestyle little by little & as you do you will get where you want to be. So start with baby steps having less of what you love instead of cutting it out completely. You obviosly have made the decision to change so do it just less drastically & know that it takes time but you can get there. I am so inspired by the people I see on here & the main thing I see in those succeding it patience no one got fat or unhealthy overnight & you wont get skinny & healthy overnight either.Time & effort is what it takes.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you shouldn't be miserable on this journey; if you are, then you're not doing it right and you won't last long. You need to look at this differently...not dieting (verb) but diet (noun)...as in your overall diet. What I mean is, don't focus on cutting out this or that...or this food is good and that food is bad. It's good to identify nutrient dense foods that you enjoy and leave you satisfied, but you have to cut yourself a little slack and enjoy some of the finer things in life. My general rule is 80-90% nutrient dense foods and 10-20% whatever if I feel like it and it fits into my calorie goal and macro goals for the day.

Also, it doesn't happen overnight...I didn't go from eating 1/4 Lb of cheese and pints of whole milk and tons of highly processed carbohydrates and saturated fats overnight. It took me awhile to identify those things that were really hurting my diet and my overall health and cut those back and replace with more nutrient dense foods. Eventually you just find yourself making better decisions overall and not only feeling good about those decisions...but feeling good in general because your body is being properly fueled.
  • cleomouri
    cleomouri Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm working on training myself to give up all the snacks and such that I still love. I also love to bake and it's hard to give that up too. I was quite happy when I found this cookbook since I have a major sweet tooth.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1590771400/ref=s9_simh_gw_p14_d11_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-7&pf_rd_r=1JDRP7XE586RZR7NC9QB&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938451&pf_rd_i=507846

Now moderation in everything of course, but Red Velvet cupcakes w/ Cream Cheese Frosting and still only weigh in at 140 cals? Yes please! Most cupcakes of the same kind weigh in at the 300-500cal range! I even sent a batch with my husband to his office as a treat. Every cupcake was devoured and no one could tell they were low in fat/sugar/calories.

I left my copy at my parents last time I went to visit (Dang it!) but I don't remember a single serving of any particular dessert having more than 190cals and most are much much less.

Like I said, moderation in everything, but at least with this book I don't feel as bad about having my cake and eating it to ^_^
  • cleomouri
    cleomouri Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Oh and for crisps or something crunch look up a recipe for roasted chickpeas. In my area they average about $1 a can.

A 1/4 cup of those provide me all the crunch I crave and a bit of that saltiness as I flavour mine with a dash of sea salt.
  • _TEMPEST_
    _TEMPEST_ Posts: 205
    Options
    Keep calm and drink water. Often, we mis-read the signal for dehydration as hunger.
    If you drink water and your stomach is still yelling at you, eat something within your allowance! Grab some protein!
    Hunger can be a head game...ask yourself why you want to eat before you put anything in your mouth. Tired, bored, anxious, sad? Change your mind and you change your body.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Drink as much ice cold water between your meals as possible. It will help, it won't take away your cravings but it will help you stave off hunger for a little longer.

Also keep the healthy snacks on hand, sugar snap peas, grapes, strawberries, green beans, carrots, celery. Lots of options to your mouth and hands to busy to grab the bad snacks .
  • nekoface
    nekoface Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    tea! tea!
  • kathleenmary73
    kathleenmary73 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I can tell you that in some cases sugar has a notable affect on appetite and if you drop all sugar on Sunday and try to live without it on Monday, you're going t go through some hunger pangs because of the sugar. I'm going by what my doctor and nutritionist has told me and by what I've actually experienced, sugar not only makes me hungry, it make me nervous and sort of crazed for food. It is a key trigger food for me and once I am off of it for about a month, I start to feel a big difference. I know I am not the only one who is affected like this, it is quite common.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    First mistake...don't diet! Create a healthy eating plan. Like chocolate? Have a square or two of dark chocolate. Also all natural PB with no salt added helps me with chocolate cravings. Lose the energy drinks...the crash you're experiencing from them is gonna make you crave anything with caffeine and sugar to perk you back up. Been there, done that...if I can get off of Red Bull, you can get off of whatever energy drinks you drink!
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I think what sets off hunger is eating high sugar, low fiber foods and eating large meals in one day. Your blood sugar crashes after a meal and then you wind up hungry again shortly after. I also notice my hunger spikes after a large meal, it's like your body tries to get you out of a deficit.

Train yourself to enjoy healthier, lighter versions of your favorite foods.
    Avoid high sugar stuff and you won't crave it as much. Eat small meals during the day and you will not have massive hunger spikes after a meal.

If you crave chocolate, I know a few tricks. 100 calorie ice cream bars and fiber one oats & chocolate bars are a godsend to me but they won't break the bank.

I also chop up small pieces of dark chocolate and add them to my morning cereal.
  • RobinC37
    RobinC37 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Oh, another thing! Oftentimes when I go to the cupboard or fridge for a snack, I do squats or lunges while I try to decide what I want. Usually I realize I just needed to get off the couch and do something because I can't stand to be still for so long. If I'm still hungry, I like a couple tablespoons of hummus with breton mini garden crackers. 3tbps of hummus and 20 crackers is only around 200 cals!
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    STOP THE PRESS. Why would you give up chocolate?!

Chocolate is delicious. Dark chocolate is an anti-inflammatory. The cacao bean was worshipped by the Mayans, for god's sake.

IIFYM, there's no reason you should not eat chocolate. I have it almost every day. Of course, you don't want to spend all your calories on chocolate, but in moderation, you can enjoy whatever you want on a daily basis.

You're welcome.

ET: as your body is getting used to eating less sugar, you will feel tired, lethargic, and hungry. This will only last a few days. Promise.
  • sarahi2009
    sarahi2009 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Don't get caught up on the "you can't eat this" fad. I say "put in, crowd out" and really know if you are hungry or just overwhelemed. Drink some water, chew slowly, and if you are hungry fill up on veggies, I like spinach a lot, so even if I were to go over my caloric intake, I don't care because I am putting in a lot of healthy stuff.
  • mpenner61
    Options

Been there, done that! It gets better, believe me. Commit to a healthier lifestyle for a least one week. During that week try this.

1. Eliminate fried foods
    2. Reduce those fatty sugary snacks as much as possible
    3. Snack on fruits and nuts
    4. Eat all your calories!

I have only been at this for a little over a month, but those first few days were tough. Whether physical or psychological or both, food addictions are strong for me, but after a few days the cravings were much more manageable.

After the first week, then start to incorporate more healthy foods and begin eliminating or limiting the less healthy ones. You will start to find healthy foods that you like and incorporate them into your diet, and you should find that you are not hungry and that the cravings are manageable.

I knew that I could not do everything cold turkey. In fact, I am still struggling to give up diet soda and to get enough exercise.

Little steps! Patience!

Fortunately, you are getting some advice from people on here that really know what they are talking about, but I thought it might help to hear from somebody that just went through that "getting started" phase.
  • Iceman420
    Iceman420 Posts: 195
    Options
    i also drink alot of enegry drinks and am crashing because of lake of caffine and sugar

I feel your pain there. Stopped drinking regular soda 10 days ago, after being addicted to it for 15 years. The first 7 days were a nightmare because I wanted the caffine and suger SO bad. I was very tired without it. Thankfully the cravings are easing up now.