Losing motivation/feeling guilty

Options
feeling exhausted and not sure i'll make it back to the gym again tonight.... i only did 2.5ish mi this am. im going to hit my 10,000 steps for the day either way, but im feeling guilty about thinking of skipping and hoping i find the motivation to go...

how do u stay motivated and make yourself push thru it? i have been doing good so far, but it's getting harder.

Replies

• vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I find that if I push myself hard every day, I end up needing a day or two off as a break. Otherwise, I crash and burn and it could be MONTHS before I get it together again. Now, my schedule is M,W,F cardio; Tu. Th., strength training. Weekends off -- or exercise that is NOT on purpose (unscheduled, maybe walking, maybe tennis). This schedule is pretty easy to keep, and if I do more than what is scheduled, I call it a bonus.

Maybe you need a short break, followed by a new, lighter, schedule. Give yourself some wiggle room.

Oh, as a side note, I still track my calories whether I exercise or not, and always try to come close to my daily net calorie goal.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    feeling exhausted and not sure i'll make it back to the gym again tonight.... i only did 2.5ish mi this am. im going to hit my 10,000 steps for the day either way, but im feeling guilty about thinking of skipping and hoping i find the motivation to go...

how do u stay motivated and make yourself push thru it? i have been doing good so far, but it's getting harder.

Why do you feel like you need to go back tonight? 2.5 miles is fine. There is no medical need for 10,000 steps. Eat right, go to the gym 3-4 days a week. Lift heavy. That's it. The weight will come off. Killing yourself won't making it come off any faster.
  • oddberry
    Options
    Well, the fact that you're thinking twice about not going says something already. I'm sorry but ONLY 2.5ish miles??!! Are you serious??!! That is AWESOME!!!

Ok, now that I'm done cheering. I don't think about it. I absolutely used to HATE getting up at 5am. Are you serious?? My husband is laying there sound asleep and he's so warm and cuddly and...ughhh!!! Why do I have to get up NOW!!! and now, I get out of bed with my eyes closed. I'm serious. I'm still half asleep by the time I turn the alarm off but I keep moving. I know I have to get up, get my breakfast in (very important) and get my workout in. Otherwise, I know me and my life...it won't happen. I do it now out of habit. It's not a task. It's like taking the trash out or checking the mail, all part of the routine. If I think about how much I hate it or how much I dont want to or how much anything else, I'll talk myself out of it. So, I don't think about it. I just do it. To begin with its tough but the more you get yourself moving in motion, the less you'll think about the moving part and notice the losing part!! :0)
  • arlenem1974
    arlenem1974 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    seeing the scale do down is all the motivation I need
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Rest is just as important as working out.

If you're not resting (and listening to your body), you're setting yourself up for injury and failure.
  • henkemonica
    henkemonica Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Love this post. Thanks for the pep talk. Kino wit wasn't aimed at me but sure hit home.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Look at fat pics of myself.
  • thefullmontysmom
    thefullmontysmom Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    One of my MFP friends sait it the best to me...The only work out I have ever regreted was the one I didn't do!

I just go...I don't give myself the option...if I think about it, I can talk my self out of it no problem...I just tell that voice to shut up, and go anyways...Any work out is better than none!!
  • tif83
    tif83 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I def agree about keeping track of calories regardless. i actually try to stay at my goal and not net mine out, just b/c i'm trying to push myself and not count the exercise. i feel like everyone expects so much of me i dont want to let them down. which now means going to the gym twice/day. i did force myself to take a day off Mon and now wish i hadn't so i could have saved up for how i am feeling today and not felt so guilty if i were to skip...
  • tif83
    tif83 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    thats where im trying to get back at- where it's not an option! i just have to force myself to do it..... i know i will feel better after i go, it's just getting there that im struggling w/ for some reason today :(
  • Shamrock_me
    Options
    I take Mondays off to rest the body. I call it Slacker Monday or F-It Day

I don't work out. I track calories but my food rule is if I'm hungry EAT! If I'm not DON'T!
    If I want ice cream eat the ice cream just don't eat the whole carton of ice cream. At the beginning of my journey I don't think this would have worked. But as better eating habits & exercise habits grew into me - it's not that difficult and usually on Tuesday I weigh a little less.

Without a 'recharge' day to look forward to I'm not sure I'd be able to push myself hard on the weekends.
    Hang in there - YOU can DO it!!!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I say...

I DONT NEED ANY DAMN MOTIVATION, CAUSE I HAVE SELF-DISCIPLINE AND I WANT IT ENOUGH TO PROVE IT TO MYSELF.
  • aquariusdnb
    aquariusdnb Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I am back after being gone for I believe may be like two months. I filled in my meals thus far today. I want to be down to my goal weight and I feel like I'm NEVER going to get there. I can't be happy until I get there. I want to be at least 170...Then I'll know that it is possible to move forward to my weight goal of 140. I know putting pressure on myself is not going to help the process any faster, but I want to look a certain way towards myself so bad. Since the day after Christmas my gym membership ran out and because of personal issues there has been no money to get back to the gym. I LOVE going to the gym. I was feeling great and the days I didn't want to go I ended up going and feeling WONDERFUL. Thank you for letting me vent as well as seek motivation from you...

Meghan
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    "Motivation is nice, but it is patience and endurance that gets us through the rest." A member said that here and that's what keeps me going. Motivation comes and goes - I can't rely on it to keep me going. Just getting up and doing the right thing and waiting - that's all I'm going to do.

As another member put it "Time will pass either way." May as well make it count for something.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I don't bring feelings into it at all. Feelings are unreliable, and I want my health to be something I can rely on.

Motivation? Pfft. It passes. Guilt? Pfft. It's useless.

Decide what is feasible for you. Do what you can. Tomorrow is a new day.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    The surge of mental energy and clarity, the feeling of power in my muscles, the feeling of depth in my lungs. Those things feel good and when you feel good, everything else falls in line.

I'm far from perfect physically. I'm not striving for perfection. Being healthy and really feeling it within is my motivation.
  • Staci64
    Staci64 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    its hard, especially in the winter. I love to bike, but these 3 months where its all I can do to walk from my car to the house cause its so freakin cold make me wanna crawl in a hole and stay there, which unfortunately is what I end up doing. The gym is just down the road, but for some reason it seems like such a hassle to go. so see, your doing better than me!!!
  • Staci64
    Options
    I kinda do what you do, I let myself have one day off on the wk end to eat whatever I want, yes I usually go over, but 6 days always outweigh one, so its worth it to me! It gives me something to look forward to. I don't even log it, maybe I should to be aware of how much I'm 'cheating'. Pepsi is one of my addictions, so I cut myself down to having one 3 times a wk, that gets me through a bad day just knowing I get to have a pepsi the next day, I know...silly, but hey, I used to drink one evryday, if not 2!! I agree with you though, I eat the right things pretty much and I'm used to them, its not hard to eat right....its just the fitness aspect I struggle with in the winter, I work 12hr days and by the time I get home, I'm whipped, and if I do go to the gym I won't make it back home for dinner/relax time until after 8 and getting up at 4:30, I want more 'me' time at home with the hubby & dog:)
  • Staci64
    Options
    I'm with you, if I can get myself to that point where you feel like you can't live without it, I'm fine.......and usually that comes easy for me. I know all the right things to do, eat, etc....I hate winter:)(
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I def agree about keeping track of calories regardless. i actually try to stay at my goal and not net mine out, just b/c i'm trying to push myself and not count the exercise. i feel like everyone expects so much of me i dont want to let them down. which now means going to the gym twice/day. i did force myself to take a day off Mon and now wish i hadn't so i could have saved up for how i am feeling today and not felt so guilty if i were to skip...

This is something you need to do for YOURSELF, not because other expect something from you. Working out everyday like an animal isn't going to do your body any good. Stressing out because you aren't perfect isn't either. It isn't a sprint, it's a marathon.