Gluten Intolerance

Options
I have been reading about this since I found out several cousins have it. One of my cousins has actually been diagnosed with Celiacs (I have no clue if that is the correct spelling) I was wondering if anyone knows an actual test that can be run to diagnose this. From what I have read its hard to diagnose and many people go undiagnosed. Since the new year I've made a change in my diet a huge part of that is leaving anything with gluten out of it. If I want bread I make it with gluten free ingredients. I find snacks that are gluten free like rice cakes and such. That is the only real big thing I've changed in my diet. The weight seems to finally be coming off. I know its working for me to stay away from such things however I'd like to know for my children's sake. If there is a way for them to find out early in life instead of later in life that would be great. I don't want them to have to deal with some of the health issues I have had over the years that I'm now finding out may have been caused by this.

Replies

• vickieblair
    vickieblair Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I do beleive there is a blood test that can be done to test for Celiac. My son tested positive but the diagnosis was confirmed with internal viewing of his stomach and small intenstines. I am "gluten intolerant" as of a few years ago, but this usually turns into full fledge celiac. Our doctor suggested my younger children be tested as well. It is a tough lifestyle, since gluten is in so many foods you would never think, but we are adapting. The stomach pain and other symptoms are so not worth slipping up, but sometimes it happens. I think also, the more I cut out glueten, when I do eat it, my symptoms are far worse.
  • mkhalgat
    Options
    ^^^^^Yup! There's a blood test that you can request at the doctors office. You can also have your kids do an elimination diet. Get rid of gluten for 10 or more days from everything they eat, and then on the 10th+ day have them it eat something with gluten in it (piece of wheat bread, etc.) and see if they have any adverse effects (stomach ache, head ache, acid reflux, canker sores, hives, itchy skin, break outs, etc.). This works for all possible food allergens. It's how I found out I am allergic to wheat and can't process lactose very well.

Also, even though living gluten free (or just having allergies in general) is hard, it can be done. There are a lot of web blog and recipe resources out there.
  • stariera
    stariera Posts: 224
    Options
    I so appreciate the information. I know that is how I found I was definitely gluten intolerant. I went for almost 6 weeks without eating anything at all with gluten. At Christmas time I ate a sweet potato casserole my mom makes and the only gluten in it is actually in the topping for it which I didn't eat much at all. I had such horrible stomach pains that night. My boyfriend convinced me it was just a fluke one night and I ate a slice of pizza with him after having been away from gluten for weeks and same reaction. My stomach cramped up within a half hour of eating it and it caused my entire body to break out. I'm going to try to get my kids tested. I know their dad won't cooperate when he has them to keep them away from it unless he has test results in hand showing they have it for certain, even though my daughter and younger son complain about stomach pain after eating pasta or bread.
  • LB2LL
    LB2LL Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    If you do the blood test make sure you aren't restricting gluten, otherwise more often than not the test will be negative.

My advice is if you feel better without gluten just minimize the amount you eat. If you are suffering from the terrible/nasty effects of what you think is Celiacs, go to a GI doc and get tested.
  • DimplesInProgress
    DimplesInProgress Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    You should check out this article.

http://m.styleweekly.com/richmond/GlutenFreeQuestionnaire/Page

Its pretty informative. The author is amazing and she has a MFP account!