Post-Workout Carbs

Options
Hey Folks,
I'm starting an intense cardio program in the next few days. I'm no stranger to working out, but I always avoided carbs after a run or lifting session. If I'm looking to specifically lose body fat, are post-workout carbs a good idea?

Replies

• MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I tried that. Had a chocolate milk after. Or a cheeseburger.

Then before I knew it I was scarfing everything in sight again all the time. Had to give it up. I seem okay without post-workout carbs. I don't die or pass out or anything. I just go about my day.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Hey Folks,
    I'm starting an intense cardio program in the next few days. I'm no stranger to working out, but I always avoided carbs after a run or lifting session. If I'm looking to specifically lose body fat, are post-workout carbs a good idea?

I'm not aware of any significant differences in net fat loss when you compare equal calorie and macronutrient intakes and only vary the timing of post workout carbohydrates. And it would surprise me if such differences exist to any significant degree.
  • TheJarv
    TheJarv Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Ok cool, thank you. I had concerns of muscle being used for energy if I didn't have some carbs right after.
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Post-workout carbs are a good idea for replenishing glycogen stores to aid in recovery. According to the information I have read, there is a 2-hour window post-exercise where eating carbs can accelerate glycogen replenishment. For intense and extended cardio I have found this to be very beneficial for speeding up recovery. I use Endurox which actually is a 4:1 ratio of carb to protein as that ratio is supposed to reduce muscle damage and double the speed of glycogen replenishment. But I do these things not for losing body fat, rather to ensure that a hard workout will not wipe me out and prevent me from exercising the next day.

But that's a different rationale for ingesting carbs post-workout than what you're describing, to lose body fat. I don't know how post-workout carbs could help in that regard.