Not a pleasant question, but necessary

Options
Question. If you're sick (as in vomiting) approx 2 hours after eating do you disregard what you ate before that and start your calories afresh, do you assume you must have digested at least part of what you ate and account for that in your diary?

Replies

• KarenECunningham
    KarenECunningham Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    When I am sick anytime (vomiting) I don't worry about how to count. Be sure you get plenty of fluids to combat dehydration and when you are able to eat go for the more bland foods like rice, applesauce, soups and potato. I hope you feel better.:flowerforyou:
  • sweetrevenge
    Options
    Ouch, I'm not sure.....but my guess is that it's probably only going to be one day of vomiting so I would say don't stress it to much. If it was me it would depend on if I felt hungry after throwing up and how long AFTER I ate did I throw up. I would say log half of your calories and if you do go over a bit today, don't stress. It's only one day. *kitten* happens that can't be forseen.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,737 Member
    Options
    When I am sick anytime (vomiting) I don't worry about how to count. Be sure you get plenty of fluids to combat dehydration and when you are able to eat go for the more bland foods like rice, applesauce, soups and potato. I hope you feel better.:flowerforyou:
    AGREED!
  • kateyb
    kateyb Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    cheers guys x
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    If if I threw up what I ate, because I vomitted, I would still count it, and not assume anything...body is very weird and just to be on the safe side, I would count what I ate prior to throwing up and not assume I have a clean slate to count calories of what I eat after finish throwing up.
  • weidner
    weidner Posts: 127
    Options
    AGREED!
    DITTO - Don't sweat it - take care and hope you feel better soon. The last thing on your mind should be logging food!!!! YUCK
  • skygoddess86
    skygoddess86 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Here's what I think, vomiting burns calories, it makes you sweat like crazy, add it into your exercise diary. Hope you feel better!
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    When I'm sick I don't really count either. Usually if I feel that bad I'm not going to go over on my calories for the day.
  • badloki13
    badloki13 Posts: 15
    Options
    If I am sick enough to vomit (Which rarely happens) I am not going to be worried about my diet lol..
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Here's what I think, vomiting burns calories, it makes you sweat like crazy, add it into your exercise diary. Hope you feel better!

LMAO!

I don't even feel like eating for the rest of the day if I throw up. If you think you can, I would just count half of what you ate right before throwing up because you probably kept some of it down.
  • pandalady8
    pandalady8 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Not to get all science-y (pardon the grad student), but food only stays in your stomach for about 45 minutes to an hour before it moves into the intestines, where most of your food absorption will take place. So 2 hours out or more, chances are you have absorbed a majority of the major nutrients/calories in whatever you ate previously. But as others have said, when you are sick don't worry about the diet/calories! You will mostly lose a lot of water and some vitamins so you need to replenish those and eat to keep your strength up!
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    I learned in one of my classes that bulimics only vomit up about 25% of their food/calories when they purge. And that is immediately after. I'm not much for statistics, so not sure if I believe this statistic, but I would say that after 2 hours you're not losing many calories. Hope you feel better though!