Pear shaped and losing from the top down...

Options
Hi there -

I'm a bit frustrated and know that this group will have some great advice! I'm a classic pear shape and I carry most of my weight in my butt, hips, and thighs. I'm happy to say that I can visibly see a difference in my body in the short time I've been focused and eating/working out with purpose. My only complaint is that I'm seeing the difference from the top down. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I'd love to slim down my lower half too. Any suggestions for good exercises that focus on that area?

Our beach vacation is in 5 weeks and my upper body will be bikini ready, but my lower half might need a piece that goes to my ankles!

Thanks!

Replies

• msorochan
    Options
    I would focus on doing weight training on your legs. Obviously eat clean and continue what you're doing now, but do squats, plyometrics, and other exercises that focus on your lower half. I'm pear shaped too so that's what has worked for me these past two months and I've lost 2 inches on each thigh. Good luck!
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Keep losing fat. Eventually it will come off where you want it to.
  • maltermatt
    maltermatt Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I would focus on doing weight training on your legs. Obviously eat clean and continue what you're doing now, but do squats, plyometrics, and other exercises that focus on your lower half. I'm pear shaped too so that's what has worked for me these past two months and I've lost 2 inches on each thigh. Good luck!

Great advice! Thank you!
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    You cannot choose where you lose so keep doing what you are doing, do a good overall strength program and you will see change
  • aswearingen22
    aswearingen22 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I'm pear shape and no matter the weight, I'm still pear shape. And yes, it seems like I lose boobs before anything!;) The quickest way for me to see a change on the bottom is my running. I took a break for a few months, and hello saddle bags. I've been back at 25 miles per week for 5.5 weeks and can visibly see a difference in my lower half! Squats and lunges are also my best friend, but I haven't gotten back to them yet.
  • maltermatt
    maltermatt Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm pear shape and no matter the weight, I'm still pear shape. And yes, it seems like I lose boobs before anything!;) The quickest way for me to see a change on the bottom is my running. I took a break for a few months, and hello saddle bags. I've been back at 25 miles per week for 5.5 weeks and can visibly see a difference in my lower half! Squats and lunges are also my best friend, but I haven't gotten back to them yet.

I know exactly what you mean and I'm not trying to change my shape. I'm wondering if it's possible to lose the inches more equally between the upper and lower body. I"m working hard on building up to running, but right now I'm still interval training on the treadmill and can only run for a minute at a time. I'll get there though! Lunges and squats are a great idea too. Thanks for posting!
  • dearly4ever
    dearly4ever Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I am a pear shape too, I feel your pain! I lose quicky on my waist and upper body. Try total body sculpt with Gilad on Fit tv. I found that every time I do his workouts religiously like 4x a week I tone up my lower body. Still dont lose it much but it helps a bit...
  • UncleRiotous
    Options
    It may be that you're loosing the fat equally from all over but that because you've got more round your waist you won't see the difference there until later. Last place I ever see the weight dropping off from is my gut and I cycle a couple of thousand miles a year.
  • caoceanlover
    caoceanlover Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am a pear shape too, I feel your pain! I lose quicky on my waist and upper body. Try total body sculpt with Gilad on Fit tv. I found that every time I do his workouts religiously like 4x a week I tone up my lower body. Still dont lose it much but it helps a bit...

I am pear shaped too and total body sculpt is awesome for the lower half. I do squats and lunges and yoga to help with the lower body. I always lose from the top. Even when I was 140 pounds and all muscle (I am 5'7"), I still had a pear shape and wore a bigger size on the bottom than the top. It will come off eventually, you just need to continue doing the treadmill and add the squats and lunges and try Gilad he is awesome.

Even if I do squats at the gym, I still do about 50 every night while I am brushing my teeth...have to get the exercise in when you can!
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Yep... not much you can do about that. I, too, am pear shaped-- so I feel your pain. Keep at it though, and it will come off!
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/11109-30-day-leg-challenge

I talk about doing lateral moves pretty often. Most people, me included, forgot to do these kinds of movements.
    it could be just the thing you need to get out of a plateau, or lose those last few inches.
    it also could prevent injuries, or so I'm told.
    so just add any or all of them to your workouts, most of them are fun too.

Exercise #599 - Lateral Skates AKA Speed skaters
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVIIvc7XoQI

Exercise #381 - Alternating Side Lunge (dumbbell)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvKv3yuexDI

that's all I can remember right now, I'll add more later.
    see you next workout!
  • sammyneb
    sammyneb Posts: 257
    Options
    I know your pain! I lose weight from head to toe. First my face then chest, stomach then finally my butt and thighs. You will see my chest bones yet I will still have cellulite on my butt :) It is frustrating, yet I know that is just the way I am built. come swimsuit season I just wear a swim skirt when walking around :)
  • littlebutcurvy
    Options
    IM ALSO A FELLOW PEAR X
  • LittleDoodlePoodle
    LittleDoodlePoodle Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    BUMP for later.