coconut oil

Options
Sooo I just bought coconut oil today. I've heard people say they add a tablespoon to their coffee....I'm a little hesitant to try it since I've never messed with coconut oil...I've heard its extremely beneficial. Any thoughts/suggestions on using it..?

Replies

• rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i use it on my skin mostly..
    ive used it to make "coconut crack bars" ( http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/08/30/no-bake-coconut-crack-bars/ )
    ive used it to saute meats and sometimes use it in place of butter on toast. i toss some into protein shakes sometimes, but ive never tried it in coffee
  • hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I use it in place of oil for cooking - I use it when I grill chicken, make eggs, etc. I also make a few coconut chocolate recipes and have a few cookie recipes that use it.

I've heard that lots of people use it for their skin, I might look into that. I don't add it to my coffee, but I don't drink coffee at all. Can't hurt to try it and see if you like it though. Worst that happens is you waste a cup of coffee.
  • hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    i use it on my skin mostly..
    ive used it to make "coconut crack bars" ( http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/08/30/no-bake-coconut-crack-bars/ )
    ive used it to saute meats and sometimes use it in place of butter on toast. i toss some into protein shakes sometimes, but ive never tried it in coffee

Those look yummy!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,019 Member
    Options
    I put a teaspoon in my morning coffee or tea. I don't have the extra calories to make that a tablespoon. There are many reputed health benefits, and if you buy unrefined it is undeniably better than vegetable oils.

I like it for sauteeing, it has a lower smoke point than olive oil. I like coconut, but the unrefined has a definite coconut smell (not much flavor, though.) If you like coconut in general, you're going to love it..

...also good on skin and hair.
  • FashionableZoe
    Options
    interesting I might have to try it
  • TXPURL
    TXPURL Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is wonderful stuff and good for both your insides AND outsides. I like it in my coffee, as well, and, all told, probably eat 1-2 T of it a day. The cold-pressed, unrefined stuff is best. I get Nature's Way Efa Gold coconut oil at the local Sprouts store. I use this to add to coffee, oatmeal and anything else I might use butter for. I buy the cheaper, heat processed stuff to make soap and body butters.

http://www.deliciousobsessions.com/2012/05/122-uses-for-coconut-oil-even-more-of-the-simple-the-strange-and-the-downright-odd/
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is GREAT!! I used it on my toast, to cook with, and yes on my skin/hair as well
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I love cooking with it
    also you can mix it and carab powder (I'm sure you could use cocoa) and stevia to make super yummy chocolate things, they taste like the inside of truffles.. so good and easy to make
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I hope I don't put you off but I JUST post this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/855300-if-you-throw-up-should-you-eat-more

My advice? Start with a small amount over the next few days and build up depending on how you feel.
  • syrklc
    syrklc Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I am using coconut oil cream in my coffee. I love it..
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I used it to oil my waffle iron once. It gave the waffles a really good taste.

I mostly use it on my hair, though. My dog loves it, too.
  • laughinggypsy
    laughinggypsy Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    i put it in my coffee and blend it for abt 10 seconds-makes it deliciously latte-like.

DH is taking it like a supplement-crazy high in fat and calories but supposedly boosts weight loss.
  • TXPURL
    TXPURL Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil has more uses than I can count. Good for so many things!
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    perfect for dry skin
    helps with cats hairballs (my cats 'beg' for it)
    yummy with squash