Crock pot ideas for chicken

Options
eemott
eemott Posts: 46 Member
Any good recipes for chicken in a crock pot? Or ground turkey?

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Whole chickens are ridiculously easy to roast in a crock pot. Just plop a (thawed) bird in dry (no liquid needed) with some aromatics (lemon, garlic, thyme, rosemary, whatever you like) and set to low for about 8 hours. You can use the leftovers for any number of easy dishes!
  • downinaggieland98
    downinaggieland98 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I like this -

Cream Chicken Chili:
    1 can black beans ( rinsed)
    1 can corn, undrained
    1 can Rotel, undrained
    1 package ranch dressing mix
    1 tsp cumin
    1 Tbsp chili powder
    1 tsp onion powder
    1 8 oz package light cream cheese
    2 chicken breasts
    1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
    1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon of pepper
    1 cup of diced onion
    2 Garlic cloves minced

I literally just put it all in the crock pot, uncooked, and shred the chicken when I get home and add the cream cheese. You don't need all 8 oz, you can easily cut it to 2oz and still have great flavor, or even leave it all out and use some greek yogurt.
  • BigBrewski
    BigBrewski Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Whole chickens are ridiculously easy to roast in a crock pot. Just plop a (thawed) bird in dry (no liquid needed) with some aromatics (lemon, garlic, thyme, rosemary, whatever you like) and set to low for about 8 hours. You can use the leftovers for any number of easy dishes!

^^^This is the only way I cook a "whole" chicken. Meat just falls off the bone making it simple so you don't even have to cut it up.
  • elothen
    elothen Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I really like the whole chicken idea. (Novice cook here). So any idea what size bird would be needed to feed a family of 7? 2 adults, 2 teenagers, 5 youngin's.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    One recipe I loved and my husband loved was shredded chicken (think pulled pork but with chicken).

Pour 1 cup of BBQ sauce over the bottom of the crockpot (more if you have a large crockpot). Slice up a large onion and layer half in the bottom of the crockpot (depending on the size of the crockpot you may need two onions) and place boneless, skinless chicken on top of the onions. Layer the rest of the onions on top of the chicken. Pour another cup or so over the chicken and onions. Set your crockpot on low for 5 hours (or even all day if you prep in the morning before work for example). WHen the time is up, take the chicken out and put on a plate. Use two forks and shred the chicken than place back into the crockpot and mix with the sauce and onions. Set on high for an 0.5 hour to an hour than serve.

I've eaten this recipe on toasted buns, as a stir fry, in a wrap and the chicken mixture is great cold on a salad.

When I have made this in the past I have used two onions, a bottle of BBQ sauce and 8-10 pieces of chicken breast. I would shred it all and than portion out and freeze the extras. Great to have in the freezer to grab, thaw and heat up when strapped for time. THe chicken is also great as is without being shredded.

For the ground turkey you can add it in the crockpot broken up with mini lasanga noodles and sauce to make a version of lasanga... really good too!
  • youngrachael
    youngrachael Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Chicken TexMex:

6 chicken breast
    1 jar tostitos salsa
    1 package Taco seasoning (not mixed with water)

Once finished shred with two forks and eat on a whole grain / whole wheat wrap and top with (LOWFAT) Cheese, Salsa, Sour Cream, Guacamole... or lettuce and salsa... or sauteed green peppers and onions....... Basically however you like Tacos/fajitas.

Makes a ton so you will have lots of leftover!
  • slearley
    Options
    For chickens, they are all roughly the same size. For that many people, you might need 2.