CARBS!

Options
I have been on my fitness pal for 5 days now, and every day (minus one) i have gone over on my carbs allowance. I dont eat any bread and rarely eat pasta or rice, but i substitue it with things like oatcakes, ricecakes and ryvita.
All no/low carbohydrate foods are like dairy and meats arent much good for me becasue i dont really eat meat (apart from chicken) and i cant just eat dairy all the time.
Does anyone have any tips on how i can reduce my carb intake? I dont know if its slowing my weight loss, but it cant be good to be going over every day!!!

Replies

• KateDonnelly
    Options
    I think if you eat mostly dairy and fruits and veggies and some lean protein, the overage probably isn't going to do you in, It might make you lose a little slower though. It's great that you don't overdo on things like pasta and bread, but maybe you could try cutting out one or two carb snacks a day and replacing them with veggie/protein snack or fruit/protein snack, That's what finally got me losing again,
  • jaylu
    jaylu Posts: 158
    Options
    im having the same problem! i can keep my calories in check but the carbs seem to sneak up on me every few days and i go over!
    im also having a major problem with going way WAY over on sugar and i know its because i eat loads of fruit but i love fruit they have totally taken over from sweets and chocolate and now im addicted to yummy pineapple, blueberries,pears, grapes every fruit out there i adore... apart from mango,which just insults my taste buds!
  • freakincampers
    Options
    fruits are not an issue. Unless your are peeling your grapes, don't worry about it. The nutrients you get from them is a good thing.
  • spacie
    spacie Posts: 82
    Options
    Hey, did you know that fruit infact are carbohydrates?
  • amberlusc
    amberlusc Posts: 22
    Options
    i know! like my food with the most carbs in one serving was an apple today! so im gonna try and stop with the apples so much :P what the hell do people survive on, on the atkins diet? i think they must just eat steak and drink milk :P
  • spacie
    spacie Posts: 82
    Options
    Haha, I dont mean to confuse you but dont cut out the apples because they are really high in fibre and studies have shown that eating apples can aid weight loss as the fibre is good for digestion/pooing lol. People on the atkins diets loose weight initially but not after that as if you eat no carbs then your body cant produce insulin. I would suggest just cutting out pasta and bread, but still have healthy jacket potatoes and alternatives like ryvita etc. If when you have a carbohydrate, such as a jacket potato, only use toppings that arent meat or dairy (except for really low fat stuff like cottage cheese). As your body finds it easier to digest carbs than fats, so if you eat a jacket potato with cheese your body will use the potato but store the cheese as fat, where as if you have a jacket potato with salad then your body has no choice but to use it all.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    Hmm I usually don't have a problem going over on carbs. I go over on protein quite a bit but it hasn't hindered my progress. I have 3 servings of fruit per day now and eat beans at dinner nearly every day and I still don't go over. You might look at the servings of carbs you have that aren't fruit or vegetable related. I usually only have 3-4 servings per day of those.
  • Marie45
    Marie45 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Are carbs really that bad though? I mean, I try to avoid white bread and rice and pasta, but I have no intention of cutting down on wholewheat products, or substituting them with oat-based ones, and I definitely wouldn't cut down on fruit to avoid carbs.
  • sgilmore0709
    sgilmore0709 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Food for thought - I'm a diabetic. My doctor just sent me to Diabetes Class. What I learned might amaze you. It did me. I really had no idea. Here it is in a nut shell.

1. Everything you put in your mouth turns to sugar.
    2. 15 grams = 1 serving of carbs
    3. Carbs are: fruits, starch, and milk (the portion sizes really do matter)
    4. When considering a meal use the following guidelines (keep each to within the grams range and you will be fine)
    1. 21 grams of protein (1 serving of protein 4 ounces)
    2. 30-45 g carb (3 servings of carbs)
    3. 6-9 grams fiber (1 serving of fiber)
    4. 5-10 grams fat (1 serving of fat)
    5. When considering a snack use this rule
    1. 1 serving of carbs
    2. 1 serving of fat
    (A perfect snack might be 1 serving of crackers, and 1 serving of low fat cheese or 1 serving of yogurt, and 1 serving of nuts)
    6. Non-starchy vegetables are free foods
    (A strachy vegetable is lima beans, butter beans, corn, etc. Usually any vegetable that produces a white milky substances if
    squeezed.)
    7. Breakfast (1 ounce of protein, 3 carbs, and 1 fat)
    8. Snack (1 serving of carbs, and 1 fat)
    9. Lunch (3 to 4 ounces of protein, 3 carbs, and 1 fat)
    10. Snack
    11. Dinner (Same as lunch)
  • Marie45
    Marie45 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Are carbs really that bad though? I mean, I try to avoid white bread and rice and pasta, but I have no intention of cutting down on wholewheat products, or substituting them with oat-based ones, and I definitely wouldn't cut down on fruit to avoid carbs.

I should clarify because I just realised how badly I phrased the above: I meant I have no intention of cutting down on wholewheat products, however I would consider substituting them with oat-based ones.