I've lost 4.5 pounds this week, is that normal?

Options
I'm supposed to lose 1.5 pounds per week. However, MFP has me at sedentary. I now work out at least 5 times a week, 20 minutes a day.

I know that losing more than 2 pounds is risky. But is losing this much in the first week normal?

Replies

• jdayl
    jdayl Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I lost 4 pounds in the first week also, a lot of the initial weight loss is most likely water and comes off really fast. It will steady at a lesser rate soon I would guess.
  • desireebutts
    Options
    That's perfectly fine. According to the biggest loser Gillian on Biggest loser... as long as you are still eating enough. PS: congrats! :smile:
  • hungrymarathongirl
    hungrymarathongirl Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss! Feels great, doesn't it? Same thing happened to me when I first started here. Then it tapered off the closer I got to my goal weight. I am now on the maintenance plan.
  • Pariah
    Pariah Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    if you have more weight to lose, you are going to drop weight faster in the beginning, and as you lose more, it will taper off. also if you have just started on this journey and you are beginning to drink more water ate eat less sodium, that weight loss could be excess water weight that your body has shed.
  • freakincampers
    Options
    That's perfectly fine. According to the biggest loser Gillian on Biggest loser... as long as you are still eating enough. PS: congrats! :smile:

It feels fantastic. What I like is I can change stuff from my phone, so I never forget something.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Definitely. As long as you're eating enough, you're fine. I lost 3.8 pounds my first week...most of it is water weight. Has definitely tapered off since then (except after TOM, of course)!
  • mlbazemore
    mlbazemore Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Hi,

The only expertise I have is being a chronic dieter. Losing that much weight in the first week is not uncommon...it is even common first the second or third week. After the first couple of weeks they say losing more than one or two pounds is unhealthy. But be proud of your first week results...you're fine. Maybe you should change your profile to read active instead of sedentary, we wouldn't want you do get another scare!
  • freakincampers
    Options
    Double post.
  • freakincampers
    Options
    Hi,

The only expertise I have is being a chronic dieter. Losing that much weight in the first week is not uncommon...it is even common first the second or third week. After the first couple of weeks they say losing more than one or two pounds is unhealthy. But be proud of your first week results...you're fine. Maybe you should change your profile to read active instead of sedentary, we wouldn't want you do get another scare!

Oops, double post.

How do I go about changng my lifestyle in my profile?
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    GOOOD JOB! That's some sweet success! It's perfetly OK as long as it wasn't muscle and important fluid loss. ie not eating.
  • clairebear82
    Options
    Yep I lost 5lbs my first week, and within 4 weeks had lost a stone, and that was with 1260 calories a day and no exercise. In the second month I incorporated exercise and it took me 7 weeks roughly to lose another stone. I have a six week goal for another stone but I'm not going to beat myself up trying to meet it as my weight loss is tapering, despite still being 21lbs overweight.