Mentally Drained

Options
I've been yo-yo dieting for almost 2 years and I'm trying to take a healthier approach to dieting. The only bad thing is that I'm to the point where I just have no type of determination or motivation to do it. I've tried buying new workout clothes, etc. I can't seem to find any ounce of discipline to help me. Have you ever felt like this? If so how did you overcome it. And by the way I did take a break from counting calories and working out

Replies

• autumnsnow786
    autumnsnow786 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    i found something i like doing. i enjoy dancing so i do a lot of zumba. i also use the elliptical a lot but i watch a show i like to keep up with while i'm doing this so i'm not constantly thiking about how much time i have left. the key is finding something u enjoy. keeping a goal helps too like "i want to lose this much weight by this time."
  • SavedByAmazingGrace
    Options
    Bump
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Yes you should take a break from "dieting" and focus more on feeling good, working out, and eating healthy. Sometimes it takes a couple weeks to remember why you are doing this. Also, it not only helps mentally but sometimes the body just needs a good old reset. You'd be surprised how well these diet breaks work and how important they are, especially if you've been at lower calories for years on end.
  • Starlage
    Starlage Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    i found something i like doing. i enjoy dancing so i do a lot of zumba. i also use the elliptical a lot but i watch a show i like to keep up with while i'm doing this so i'm not constantly thiking about how much time i have left. the key is finding something u enjoy. keeping a goal helps too like "i want to lose this much weight by this time."

Ditto on this idea- you have to find something you enjoy doing and change up your workouts. Anything will get bored if you do it long enough. I go through cycles of running constantly, to not running at all, I LOVE cardio kick boxing type aerobics dvds so I've got a half dozen of those and a number of other dvds. Do you workout better with friends? Find someone to do things with you, that may motivate you. It's just a matter of trial and error in my opinion. Just gotta figure out what feeds you fitness mojo!
  • SavedByAmazingGrace
    Options
    Exercise is not the problem but counting calories, and picking a calorie goal and not seeing results are driving me crazy
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Your diary isn't open, so I don't know what your calories are, but a lot of yo-yo dieters try and limit their calories too much, don't see results, then start cramming their faces because what's the point, then put on more weight. This seems to be more common with people who severely restrict their diets. People often will enter a weight loss goal of 2lbs per week because they want to lose fast, but that may not be appropriate for the amount to lose.

Try looking at some of the other posts that recommend how much you should be eating:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

You might find it easier to stick with if you don't feel like you are depriving yourself. Also, many people who have hit plateaus find that upping their calories can help them break through them.
  • SavedByAmazingGrace
    Options
    I was so use to seeing rapid weight loss and now it's seems like im only losing 1lb a week, if that
  • lives21
    lives21 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I used to do the HCG diet, which shows you immediate results. This time around I'm doing it the old fashioned way, just tracking food and exercising. It is slow and only week three, but I can feel the results more than see them. I'm starting to get stronger and I have so much more energy. I know that if I just keep with it, I'll see the results I want.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    I was so use to seeing rapid weight loss and now it's seems like im only losing 1lb a week, if that

When you get as close to the goal weight as you are, it becomes much more difficult to lose. Your body wants a certain amount of fat - especially as a woman of childbearing age. It's normal to lose about a half-pound a week. You have 10 to go - it's going to take a couple months, minimum. ANd that's if you have set a realistic number as your goal weight.

Don't be tempted to under-eat. That's a slippery slope.
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    If you get a definitive answer, please let me know...I am feeling the same way right now!! Thanks!
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I have found that taking up an actual work out program that shows steady results (such as Stronglifts 5X5) and also setting up my work out time to be more automatic (roll out of bed and go without thinking) has helped a lot.
  • themutineer
    themutineer Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Look into Intuitive Eating

10 Principles of Intuitive Eating

1. Reject the Diet Mentality
    2. Honor Your Hunger
    3. Make Peace with Food
    4. Challenge the Food Police
    5. Respect Your Fullness
    6. Discover the Satisfaction Factor
    7. Honor Your Feelings Without Using Food
    8. Respect Your Body
    9. Exercise--Feel the Difference
    10 Honor Your Health

Read more here: http://www.intuitiveeating.org/content/10-principles
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You are only 10 lbs from your goal the best you can expect is 1/2 lb per week. Stop having aggressive weight goals and you will succeed. And since you are like 18, if you are active, you probably should be eating 1700+ calories. So what is your caloric intake? What is your exercise routine and what are your stats?
  • sammichPG
    Options
    I've been yo-yo dieting for almost 2 years and I'm trying to take a healthier approach to dieting. The only bad thing is that I'm to the point where I just have no type of determination or motivation to do it. I've tried buying new workout clothes, etc. I can't seem to find any ounce of discipline to help me. Have you ever felt like this? If so how did you overcome it. And by the way I did take a break from counting calories and working out

I reached my lowest, couldn't stand my body anymore.

Understanding why you overeat and start working on it is a great starting point.
  • sugarlips1980
    sugarlips1980 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I find having a google for 'fitspo' inspiring or even set up a Pinterest account and save your fave pics of bodies you like/motivational sayings. Think of a reasonable small weight loss goal and a date you want it achieved by and possibly a social event to go to then find a hot new dress to wear then.

And don't wait till you feel motivated...just go right ahead and force yourself to do it. The endorphins from exercise kick in and soon enough you'll get a high from it and that, combined with wanting to reach our weight loss goal, will mean your unstoppable!!!! Start small - vow to do a 20 min walk or a 5 min run or whatever you normally do. Then up it a bit day by day.

Look at this pic for motivation!!

34exkkx.jpg
  • heather_elise85
    heather_elise85 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I ddon't know if anyone has suggested this but why don't you try working out one day a week or doing an activity you like. And limiting one thing from your diet. .. like eliminating diet soda or white bread or no more fast food. Eventually bump it up. Don't expect much and go really slow.
  • SavedByAmazingGrace
    Options
    Look into Intuitive Eating

10 Principles of Intuitive Eating

1. Reject the Diet Mentality
    2. Honor Your Hunger
    3. Make Peace with Food
    4. Challenge the Food Police
    5. Respect Your Fullness
    6. Discover the Satisfaction Factor
    7. Honor Your Feelings Without Using Food
    8. Respect Your Body
    9. Exercise--Feel the Difference
    10 Honor Your Health

Read more here: http://www.intuitiveeating.org/content/10-principles

I had to write those down!!
  • SavedByAmazingGrace
    Options
    I ddon't know if anyone has suggested this but why don't you try working out one day a week or doing an activity you like. And limiting one thing from your diet. .. like eliminating diet soda or white bread or no more fast food. Eventually bump it up. Don't expect much and go really slow.

I need to learn to take it a day at a time, I'm very impatient
  • regirip10
    Options
    Half the battle is actually getting to the gym. Once youre there find classes that you might enjoy and you will surprise yourself --if you like the class you will want to go back :))
  • SavedByAmazingGrace
    Options
    I find having a google for 'fitspo' inspiring or even set up a Pinterest account and save your fave pics of bodies you like/motivational sayings. Think of a reasonable small weight loss goal and a date you want it achieved by and possibly a social event to go to then find a hot new dress to wear then.

And don't wait till you feel motivated...just go right ahead and force yourself to do it. The endorphins from exercise kick in and soon enough you'll get a high from it and that, combined with wanting to reach our weight loss goal, will mean your unstoppable!!!! Start small - vow to do a 20 min walk or a 5 min run or whatever you normally do. Then up it a bit day by day.

Look at this pic for motivation!!

34exkkx.jpg

I had a "fitspo" based tumblr blog and it ended up turning into a "thinspo" based blog so I deleted it