Ideas for boosting energy

Options
Hi,
I was hoping some of you may have a suggestion on how to increase your energy to get through the day. Right now I'm eating right, getting a balanced diet with lots of fresh veggies and protein, and working out7x a week with a variety of walking (4-5 miles a day x 4 days per week), bike riding, weight lifting and kettlebells, and competitive tennis 1-2x a week. I'm also working full time, and just started going to school full time again as well. I am EXHAUSTED!!! Some days I feel like I can just barely function and I want to cry starting the minute my alarm goes off in the morning.
Aside for creating more hours in the day, I'm not really sure what to do. In the past, whenever I got this busy, that is when exercise and eating right would be put on the back burner, and I'd start piling weight on. So, I'm really afraid of slowing down the workouts. I am toying with the idea of hydroxycut for the short term (until these classes finish), but am really not a fan of diet supplements. The only reason I'm even considering it is that coffee doesn't even begin to make a dent in my sluggishness anymore.
Does anyone have any suggestions or advice? I'd really appreciate your input, thanks!!

Replies

• arlacher
    arlacher Posts: 7
    Options
    I often feel the same way!! :( I am very curious on what other people have to say!
  • Pariah
    Pariah Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    doing a quick easy yoga work out in the morning usually helps if i'm feeling sluggish. you want something that is just going to get your blood circulating through your body nicely, not something that's going to leave you exhausted at the end, and i follow that with a protein shake.

diet pills that use caffeine aren't going to make you feel energized and focus. you'll still feel tired, but you'll be jittery and unable to sleep.
  • rex45
    rex45 Posts: 2
    Options
    Iam not a nutrutionist, but more carbohydrates seems logical to me. (( good luck ))
  • lreed
    lreed Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    looks like you have a really FULL schedule. While I am not a big fan of taking a break, you may need to take 1 day off a week, or at least do a lighter walk instead of kettles or tennis. Also, you said you are having a balanced diet, how much protein are you eating? My coach has said to eat a minimum of 150 grams per day or up to 1 gram per pound that you weigh. I have noticed for myself if I eat less than 130 then I start dragging (and I workout 5 days a week 90 minutes a day with a bootcamp program that includes, running, weights and kettles as well) on the weekends I do walk for 60-90 minutes each day. Are you actually allowing enough sleep a minumum of 7-8 hours! I would highly discourage supplements unless they are vitamin driven, you are doing so many good things to your body, do you really want to add something so foreign to it? Good luck! Keep up the great work at about 95% :wink:
  • kristin1781
    kristin1781 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks so much for the advice. I never thought of trying yoga, but that sounds like a good idea, especially since I know I don't get enough stretching in. As far as protein goes, I have been eating about 40 grams per day, and I thought that was plenty, but since I weigh 202, and given my workout schedule, that probably isn't enough. I'm going to try adding more and see if that helps!
  • lreed
    lreed Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Thats about where I am 201. :happy: start slow, I would try to inch up to 100 grams if you are at 40 then it will make a big difference.
    I am currently targeting between 150-170 Good luck! Make sure you are drinking enough water if you are upping your protein. My food journal is public if you want to get ideas for higher protein content!:flowerforyou: