Chips Alternate

Options
13»

Replies

• tkfree
    tkfree Posts: 3
    Options
    I just bought some of the Pepperidge Farm-Baked Naturals in the cheddar and sour cream potato flavor. They are baked cracker chips. for 25 chips it is only 130 calories. They are very good! :)
  • TorontoAdam91
    Options
    Anybody have good sweet potato home recipes?
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    No need to cut them out unless you can't control it.

I love chips as well but still allow myself to have them... I just will not purchase the large bags. I purchase the single serving ones and only one at a time.

Kale chips are good.. tons of recipes online and easy to make. I have tried carrot chips before as well which are pretty good!!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    The Real Deal - Real Veggie Chips

not only taste good, but a serving also counts as a serving of veggies. because... that's what they're made with. I love 'em

75mg of sodium/serving?!?!? Enjoy your hypertension.
  • nursestewart
    nursestewart Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I love me some kale chips. I make mine with sea salt and nutritional yeast.
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Kale chips (comes in a variety of different flavors), apple chips, or sweet potatoe chips are good substitutes. You can also bake the kale & sweet potatoe chips yourself and create your own flavors.

Why do all of these people think you're supposed to eat kale? That stuff was designed as a garnish, it was never meant for human consumption. Do you also eat the umbrella that comes in your Mai Tai? No. Leave the kale on the side of the plate. Eat stuff that tastes good.

kale is part of the cabbage family, and many many many people from different countries eat kale as a part of their regular diet. Just because Americans do not find kale to be very palatable, does not mean it is strictly a 'garnish', and not to be eaten.

it tastes like a leaf like any other leaf....some people are just so picky. it is so great cause it doesn't absorb dressing fast and get soggy like most leafy greens. and it is so good for you.
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    You can try to replace them with whatever you want, but NOTHING compares to chips.
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    SNAPEA CRISPS made by CALBEE. These are baked snacks made from real peas. 100 calories for 24 of these pea-shaped snacks and only 11 carbs, less than 1g sugar. Only 5 ingredients: peas, corn oil, rice, salt, calcium and Vitamin C. And they're delicious! You can find them in the produce aisle at almost any grocery store or on Amazon. YUM! :tongue:

i agree, so good. they are meant for salads but are yummy alone. i got mine at an organic store.
  • NattieJoan
    Options
    Roasted sweet potato (:
  • NewMnky1
    NewMnky1 Posts: 264
    Options
    I eat Pepperidge Farms Cracker Chips - BBQ they are really good. Not as good as a BBQ Ruffles chip, but pretty darn close!
  • NewMnky1
    NewMnky1 Posts: 264
    Options
    Who makes these "pop-chips", "kale" and "black bean"?

I do not recall ever seeing them at the grocery store or Wal-Mart.

You can get them in any grocery store (I am in Hamilton, ON) they also sell them in boxes at Costco.
  • stehmari
    stehmari Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I personally love kale. Not sure where the info came from about it being a garnish lol. Sweet potatoes and white potato chips that you make yourself. I'm not a chip fan but love vegetables and love different ways of preparing them. I know pampered chef sells a device that cooks the item of your choice into a crispy chip.
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Kettle brand baked potato chips. 65% less fat, 170 calories for 32 chips, My favorite are salt and black pepper, they also make cheddar, salt and vinegar, bbq and plain or seasalt. What I really like about them is the sodium is 7 %. I will include whats on the bag so you can compare it to what you normally eat to see if they are any better.
    Fat 4.5 g 7%, sodium160 mg 7%, carbohydrate 29g 10%, Fibre 3g 12%, Protein 4g, vitamin C 20%, iron 8%
  • Nanba007
    Nanba007 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Right now I have Sea Salt, Cheddar, and Sour Cream and Onion 110 to 120 Cal per Serving
  • lbesaw
    lbesaw Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I rarely use chips/crackers but when I do Special K chips are great so are Diamond Nut Thins crackers...Baked Doritos aren't bad either once in awhile when you just need a chip.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Make your own.. cut a potato really thin and spray a cookie sheet and bake at 450 on each side for 15 minutes (or until crispy).. put whatever you want on it or leave plain if you're going to dip them in something.

or do the same with apples and sprinkle with cinnamon.

Also.. if you have an oil-less fryer.. you can make almost anything crunchy with that fried texture without all the oil and crap frying adds to it. I fry everything in that thing.. same calories as baking, get the fried craving handled. lol
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    http://www.kettlebrand.com/our_products/bakes_chips/?pid=51#/our_products/bakes_chips/?pid=52

looks like they have changed the packaging since I last bought them but the nutritional values are on the this webpage. new flavors too
  • TorontoAdam91
    Options
    Make your own.. cut a potato really thin and spray a cookie sheet and bake at 450 on each side for 15 minutes (or until crispy).. put whatever you want on it or leave plain if you're going to dip them in something.

or do the same with apples and sprinkle with cinnamon.

Also.. if you have an oil-less fryer.. you can make almost anything crunchy with that fried texture without all the oil and crap frying adds to it. I fry everything in that thing.. same calories as baking, get the fried craving handled. lol

Thanks will give it a shot later.