Best pedometers you have used?

Options
1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
I have been through pedometers a-plenty. I have for years now almost obsessively kept track of my daily steps. I recently got out of that when my favorite pedometer was damaged beyond repair. I have used several of sportlines pedometers. My only issues are they either don't stay on like they should (hence getting dropped and damaged like the last one!) or b) they are not accurate in that they don't register the steps or regester way too many. Have you ever used one that at the very least stayed on pretty well?

Replies

• ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I have found Omron to be far and away the best brand. I used the HJ-112 and loved it. I never found it to be inaccurate. I do recommend use the safety strap to keep it attached to your clothing, though. The clip is easy to disengage, and if it's not strapped on, it could easily fall off and break or be lost.

http://www.amazon.com/Omron-HJ-112-Digital-Pocket-Pedometer/dp/B0000U1OCI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358367012&sr=8-1&keywords=omron+pedometer
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    If you don't mind the splurge, the Fitbit One seems very good. I've only had mine a few days, but experience so far is very positive.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    If you don't mind the splurge, the Fitbit One seems very good. I've only had mine a few days, but experience so far is very positive.

Don't you have to pay an online subscription for FitBit?

I agree with the previous poster about the Omron. I have the same model - I've had it for years and years and it works great. Ditto on hooking it securely to your clothing or backpack.
  • carlytenney
    carlytenney Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I just use my ipod. Tracks welll and slips into my pocket.
  • Vicki66C
    Vicki66C Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I own the Omron HJ112 and it is a very accurate pedometer.
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options

Don't you have to pay an online subscription for FitBit?

I agree with the previous poster about the Omron. I have the same model - I've had it for years and years and it works great. Ditto on hooking it securely to your clothing or backpack.

No. You're thinking the bodymedia fit that requires a subscription to even the basic software. Fitbit does have some paid options, but the base software is free, and if you link to MFP you'll not really need them anyhow.
  • FionaAnne22
    FionaAnne22 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit ultra and love it! Would cry if it broke! :)
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    I use the Fitbit One, I upgraded from the Ultra a month ago. I really like it, I need to see the number on how active I am. It gives me a push to get moving on the days that I'm lazy.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Fitbit Zip is cheaper.
  • Nighttimeninja
    Options
    I have an Ozeri 4x3 triaxis pedometer and I love it!! I has a lanyard so I attach it to my belt, the triaxis allows me to throw it in my pocket, the accuracy is dead on. And it tracks my steps, average speed, cals burned and consistency of walk time. I walk 8-9 miles a night at work, so I thought that I was burning far more calories than I actually was. My Ozeri shows me that I'm only doing 60-90 minutes of consistent walking so I can adjust my food intake. You enter in your weight and stride length... I love this little device! Plus it was only bout $40.00 on Amazon as opposed to 100.00 for fitbit or bodymedia. Well worth it in my book.
    Options
    I have found Omron to be far and away the best brand. I used the HJ-112 and loved it. I never found it to be inaccurate. I do recommend use the safety strap to keep it attached to your clothing, though. The clip is easy to disengage, and if it's not strapped on, it could easily fall off and break or be lost.

http://www.amazon.com/Omron-HJ-112-Digital-Pocket-Pedometer/dp/B0000U1OCI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358367012&sr=8-1&keywords=omron+pedometer

This looks great! It resets at midnight on it's own. It looks very slender as well. I dug up my sportline 345 and I now remember why it got buried in the first place! The one you mention is on sale right now, Thanks a lot!
  • Jiggle_all_the_way
    Jiggle_all_the_way Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I've got a fitbit one also and it's fabulous! :-)
    Options
    I have an Ozeri 4x3 triaxis pedometer and I love it!! I has a lanyard so I attach it to my belt, the triaxis allows me to throw it in my pocket, the accuracy is dead on. And it tracks my steps, average speed, cals burned and consistency of walk time. I walk 8-9 miles a night at work, so I thought that I was burning far more calories than I actually was. My Ozeri shows me that I'm only doing 60-90 minutes of consistent walking so I can adjust my food intake. You enter in your weight and stride length... I love this little device! Plus it was only bout $40.00 on Amazon as opposed to 100.00 for fitbit or bodymedia. Well worth it in my book.

This one looks good too! Is it really as slim as it looks?
    Options
    Just googled that fitbit too.... it really has a good sized clip. Hmmmm..... choices!
  • DennisCoxYEG
    DennisCoxYEG Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit ultra and I love it. The stats are pretty accurate and you are able to track your activities pretty well. Here is a link to my profile. http://client.fitbit.com/user/23KDDD

The down side is the food tracking. So this is why I use MFB. They both sync together.

I also have a Withings Scale and this also helps to track a little more accurately my weight. I also syncs to FitBit and MFB.
  • trickycoolj
    trickycoolj Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Just got a Fitbit One, previously used a WW Pedometer (huge and clunky and bumped into everything and made my shirts look lumpy underneath!) and two very simple employer provided ones that occasionally would reset midday and show nothing but 888888 across the screen. While it was a splurge, the Fitbit One is great for the gadget geek such as myself. It also has an altimeter in it so it can see how many flights of stairs you've gone up. I have stairs in my home so it's fun to see how many times a day I run up and down the stairs (forgot to unplug the hair straightener? another flight of stairs!). At the end of the day it tells me what I climbed equivalent to the height of those floors. Yesterday I climbed Godzilla!

It's small and unobtrusive, I keep it clipped with the device inside my pants pocket so I don't risk it popping out of it's silicon holder. You can also wear it anywhere on your torso such as clipped to a bra (I'm pretty flat chested so it would be a weird 3rd lump for me).

Fitbit comes with a wristband you can wear while sleeping to track the duration of your nightly sleep, in less than a week I've learned that I only average 6 hours a night and I'm starting to understand why I snack on carbs constantly... my body isn't rested and doesn't have energy!

No fee for the basic section of their site and it links perfectly with MFP for further tracking of your data and will add calories back based on the steps you take which is great!
  • elvie64
    elvie64 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have used a couple of pedometers (Sportline and something else) but I love my new fitbit zip. It is smaller than the others I have used and syncs wirelessly with my phone and then to MFP. Walk more = eat more! It doesn't allow you to enter your stride length, but with the other peds I've used I was always right on average anyway.
  • LisaGirlfriend
    LisaGirlfriend Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Fitbit all the way!!
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options
    Just googled that fitbit too.... it really has a good sized clip. Hmmmm..... choices!

I can't imagine it coming off accidentally. Note that the unit itself is freaking tiny, way smaller than you imagine it will be.

The nice thing about the one over the zip, or most other pedometers, is that it will track stairs separately, and will also track sleep and has a silent alarm that wakes you with vibration. My wife appreciates not being woken for my 5.30am workouts...
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I love my Fitbit One mainly for the iphone app, free website and integration with MFP. Plus, you can compile a list of friends who also have Fitbits and you compare your progress to theirs. That comparing is a lot of fun...like, "uh oh, Ingrid is getting close to me, better step it up."

I found my Fitibt friends just reaching out to folks here and on another site I use.