What do you do with frozen fish from Costco/sam's club?

Options
Hey all, I was getting the salmon from costco that is frozen and pre marinated in this orange stuff.. really good and all but more expensive than their plain frozen salmon fillets in the blue package. I picked a pack of them up but have yet to do anything with it.

I was thinking I could just bake them and season them when they come out, but they will probably come out pretty plain. I could defrost them then marinate them, then bake them? sounds like a lot of work.

What do you guys do?

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Salmon doesn't need much seasoning. Just seasoning it and baking it sounds fine.
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    You can smoke it or just lightly cook it in oil with some lemon pepper...
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    For wild salmon I typically season with salt, pepper, garlic, dill, and some lemon juice and bake it. Salmon is also great with a mustard & brown sugar glaze. Or maple and soy marinade.

For wild cod I season with a little salt, pepper garlic, and put sliced lemons on top. this has become a recent favorite.

Just start experimenting around. Keep things simple. You will learn what you like.
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Marinating is pretty easy, put them in a bag with marinade while they are frozen, in the fridge, then a day later bake or grill them.

Or bake them with salt and pepper. Lemon pepper if you have it.
  • joe_d
    joe_d Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I really like to poach it in a 50-50 mixture of water, white wine, some onion slices, and dill. It cooks pretty quickly (depending on thickness like 4 mins a side) and you can then add a little salt, pepper, or whatever when you serve it. I agree that good salmon needs little in the way of seasoning...
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Season with dill and lemon pepper and wrap it in foil with some lemon slices. Bake or grill.
  • AverageAngel
    AverageAngel Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    We get the wild caught filets. plain. Cod also. There is so much you can do with them, but if you like to keep it simple, and don;t mind repetition, I say go for it.. just watch the carb/ sugars on the glaze. can be deceiving.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Orange stuff? Doesn't sound healthy.
  • hellraisedfire
    hellraisedfire Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    for salmon I do:

honey and crushed pistachio

soy sauce and brown sugar

salt, pepper, lemon slices with foil to hold it together
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Hey all, I was getting the salmon from costco that is frozen and pre marinated in this orange stuff.. really good and all but more expensive than their plain frozen salmon fillets in the blue package. I picked a pack of them up but have yet to do anything with it.

I was thinking I could just bake them and season them when they come out, but they will probably come out pretty plain. I could defrost them then marinate them, then bake them? sounds like a lot of work.

What do you guys do?
    I eat it.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    just don't put it in a death box

cook it out side if possible
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Salmon is good by itself.

But I put creole seasoning on it before I bake it. Really good.

I also eat it plain with ketchup haha. But I'm kinda country.

Also Zesty Italian dressing and just cooking it on the stove top in a skillet (no oil or anything except italian dressing).
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    just don't put it in a death box

cook it out side if possible

:laugh:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Couple ideas...I do most of my fish from Costco because I have to have frozen living in the desert:

Salmon Teriyaki - grilled (I make my own Teriyaki sauce); serve with brown rice, and steamed broccoli

Almost Naked Grilled Salmon - little olive oil, kosher salt, and coarse black pepper; serve with whatever you feel like...could also add some lemon here and dill is also good.

Baked Salmon with tomatoes - I love this one...it's an eatingwell recipe I found

Hot Smoke it with a good homemade bbq rub.
  • Insanity2bSane
    Insanity2bSane Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I keep it simple. I put just a tiny bit of Olive oil in the griddle for flavor and rub some freshly pressed garlic and a dash of salt. When its done squezze a little bit of lemon and its delicious. Personnally for me the more garlic you put the better. Its gets nice and brown and krispy on the top. Yum,yum, yum!
  • tinytasha7
    tinytasha7 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Poached in lemon juice with some dill sprinkled on...about half a teaspoon of olive oil under the fillets before you put the lemon juice in..........mmmmm....
  • ZombieFoodSlayer
    Options
    I know this made sound gross, but I had some frozen salmon from Costco and wanted to have it for dinner.
    feeling lazy and using my Crockpot more, I had the notion to try and cook it in there. So I experimented
    sprayed the pot with Pam, added 2 fillets, added some broth for moisture, lemon juice, dash of this and that..barBQ sauce
    for taste, turned it on high for 4 hours, poked at it periodically...poke, dont stir...and it turned out great!!
    I have done this several times now when I wanted a quick Salmon dinner....YumYum.

0.2 cents!
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I second the idea that less is more with salmon. Cook it on a grill if you can. I have a friend who swears a little butter and lemon is the ONLY proper way. I usually just sprinkle the Kirkland Signature USDA Organic No-Salt Seasoning with maybe just a little touch of olive or canola oil- don't need much. Garlic is good if you like it too.

Some of the really strong spices and sauces can overpower the taste of the fish and I personally don't believe in doing that.

Edited to say: and ketchup is just wrong.
  • DeeOnAMission
    DeeOnAMission Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    you guys! Now Im craving salmon!....mmmmmmmm
  • jennievh
    jennievh Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm not a salmon fan, but I've bought quite a few white fish fillets at Costco.

Just realized last night that I can easily broil a fillet and then make fish tacos. YUM, fish tacos.