90s Flashback ~ Susan Powter Sesame Chicken Nuggets (Gluten

Options
purplegoboom
purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
I don't know how many of you know about Susan Powter (is she still around? I haven't heard anything about her lately) but she was a huge diet/fitness guru in the mid to late 90s. I remember when I was around 11 or 12 my mother brought her cookbook and this is one of the recipes that she made almost every week and my sisters and I would gobble up every time without fail.

I was feeling nostalgic, so I decided to look the recipe up. Being that I am now gluten free, I had to adapt some of the ingredients to fit my diet. If you are not gluten free, you can just use 1 cup regular bread crumbs for the rice chex cereal. You will want to use reduced sodium soy sauce or else they will taste too salty.

Sesame Chicken Nuggets

1 1/2 lbs boneless,skinless chicken breast
2 Cups Rice Chex (I actually used Kroger Rice Blitz, which is the generic Chex, still gluten free)
1 tablespoon flax seeds (Actually calls for sesame seeds, but this is what I had. I used Bob's Red Mill Whole Flax Seeds)
1/4 cup Soy Sauce (I used Tamari Reduced Sodium Gluten Free Soy Sauce)
Egg White of 1 Large Egg
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons ginger
olive oil cooking spray

Cut chicken breasts into bite sized nuggets. Whisk together soy sauce, egg white, ginger, and garlic powder and marinate for at least 1 hour. Take rice chex cereral and pulverize in food processor until they resemble fine bread crumbs. Mix rice chex crumbs with flax seeds.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray cookie sheet with olive oil cooking spray. Take chicken out of marinade, shaking off any excess. Disgard lefover marinade. Roll in breadcrumb mixture and place on cookie sheet, repeat until all chicken nuggets are coated in crumbs.

Bake in oven for 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. I serve mine with steamed mixed veggies.

Serves approximately 5, that's about 8 nuggets each person. Calories per serving: 209. 11 g carbs, 35 g protein, 2 g fat.

*edited to fix protein count*

Replies

• lovingmethin
    lovingmethin Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    bump for recipe
  • Wenchilada
    Wenchilada Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Oh, I am so down with this. Thank you!

Insanity: stopped! :tongue:
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Saved.
    Will make soon.
  • ajewellmom
    ajewellmom Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Tee hee! "You know what makes you fat? FAT!!!" I so remember her. I have a cookbook of hers at home too. Think I will take a wander through it now and see what jumps out at me.

Thanks for the walk down memory lane.
  • lorijlozano
    Options
    :bigsmile:
    I don't know how many of you know about Susan Powter (is she still around? I haven't heard anything about her lately) but she was a huge diet/fitness guru in the mid to late 90s. I remember when I was around 11 or 12 my mother brought her cookbook and this is one of the recipes that she made almost every week and my sisters and I would gobble up every time without fail.

I was feeling nostalgic, so I decided to look the recipe up. Being that I am now gluten free, I had to adapt some of the ingredients to fit my diet. If you are not gluten free, you can just use 1 cup regular bread crumbs for the rice chex cereal. You will want to use reduced sodium soy sauce or else they will taste too salty.

Sesame Chicken Nuggets

1 1/2 lbs boneless,skinless chicken breast
    2 Cups Rice Chex (I actually used Kroger Rice Blitz, which is the generic Chex, still gluten free)
    1 tablespoon flax seeds (Actually calls for sesame seeds, but this is what I had. I used Bob's Red Mill Whole Flax Seeds)
    1/4 cup Soy Sauce (I used Tamari Reduced Sodium Gluten Free Soy Sauce)
    Egg White of 1 Large Egg
    2 teaspoons garlic powder
    2 teaspoons ginger
    olive oil cooking spray

Cut chicken breasts into bite sized nuggets. Whisk together soy sauce, egg white, ginger, and garlic powder and marinate for at least 1 hour. Take rice chex cereral and pulverize in food processor until they resemble fine bread crumbs. Mix rice chex crumbs with flax seeds.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray cookie sheet with olive oil cooking spray. Take chicken out of marinade, shaking off any excess. Disgard lefover marinade. Roll in breadcrumb mixture and place on cookie sheet, repeat until all chicken nuggets are coated in crumbs.

Bake in oven for 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. I serve mine with steamed mixed veggies.

Serves approximately 5, that's about 8 nuggets each person. Calories per serving: 209. 11 g carbs, 35 g protein, 2 g fat.

*edited to fix protein count*