Binge Eating Disorder

Options
I'm pretty sure I have binge eating disorder. I am not diagnosed professionally but I do tend to binge once every week and a half.

I'm doing Insanity for the second time and didn't get good results because of all my binging. It can be anywhere from 5-10 thousand calories depending on when I start and end. Today, was probably about 6000-7000 calories.

I'm sick of this. I don't like feeling bloated the next day. The weight goes away quick enough since it's mainly water but I don't like having to do the damage control to begin with.

Does anyone have any advice to help with recovery? I want a normal relationship with food but I don't think that'll ever be able to happen. And I guess that's okay as long as I stop this stupid binging. It used to be just once a month....

Replies

• hedwighigh
    Options
    Bump?
    I know I'm not the only person with this problem.
  • CGPrincessWarrior
    CGPrincessWarrior Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    seek professional help. That's the only way you're going to combat this in a healthy way.
  • weestinger
    Options
    I agree with rundiva...there is something buried deep inside that brings this out...it may be lingering and one small thing sets it off.... love your self and yourself loves you!!
  • hendinerik
    hendinerik Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    It's amazing you can pinpoint it to a week and a half.... I am susceptible to this type of thing with sugar, and particularly when I am tired, sick or starving or have some emotional issue or stressor... it's almost like I am medicating with sugar.

The fact that you posted about it is a good step... perhaps you can try to incorporate some fiber and drink lots of water during the binge? This may help fill you up...

I know it's hard and I sympathize, there are some things like self-talk (keep telling yourself you eat well and take care of your mind your body and your health, and that you feel great and look great and at some point your mind will actually believe it... It may sound weird, but I find it helps...

Right now I have been fighting a cold and work has been intense and I know what's it's like to just want some comfort. It's like putting a band-aid on a stomach ache....

Good luck and best wishes... don't let the binging be your reason to stop your other healthy habits... You can do this!

Maybe get the sweets out of the house?
  • hedwighigh
    Options
    It's amazing you can pinpoint it to a week and a half.... I am susceptible to this type of thing with sugar, and particularly when I am tired, sick or starving or have some emotional issue or stressor... it's almost like I am medicating with sugar.

The fact that you posted about it is a good step... perhaps you can try to incorporate some fiber and drink lots of water during the binge? This may help fill you up...

I know it's hard and I sympathize, there are some things like self-talk (keep telling yourself you eat well and take care of your mind your body and your health, and that you feel great and look great and at some point your mind will actually believe it... It may sound weird, but I find it helps...

Right now I have been fighting a cold and work has been intense and I know what's it's like to just want some comfort. It's like putting a band-aid on a stomach ache....

Good luck and best wishes... don't let the binging be your reason to stop your other healthy habits... You can do this!

Maybe get the sweets out of the house?

It was about once a week but I got it to ten days. I try to keep sweets out of sight but at this moment I'm on the verge of getting a job and saving money while I live at home. Although my parents understand that I need healthier food and thus have added that to the grocery list ... they like their sweets. I try to keep it to places where it's not directly in my view and thus "out of sight/out of mind."

Today my trigger was I got off schedule. I know that might sound stupid but one way some people cope with binge eating is by having a small meal every few hours. I also try to exercise in the morning and couldn't today and that usually helps with the urge as well.

At the moment, I'm writing down triggers and ways to counteract them. For instance, better scheduling, keeping busy, talking to friends/family, etc.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I have binge eating disorder. I am not diagnosed professionally but I do tend to binge once every week and a half.

I'm doing Insanity for the second time and didn't get good results because of all my binging. It can be anywhere from 5-10 thousand calories depending on when I start and end. Today, was probably about 6000-7000 calories.

I'm sick of this. I don't like feeling bloated the next day. The weight goes away quick enough since it's mainly water but I don't like having to do the damage control to begin with.

Does anyone have any advice to help with recovery? I want a normal relationship with food but I don't think that'll ever be able to happen. And I guess that's okay as long as I stop this stupid binging. It used to be just once a month....

Not sure if you are male or female but, is it in any way related to your cycle? I am a binger, but when "charlie" comes for his monthly visit., I find myself on a crazier than usual binge in the week prior.
  • beyoujenny
    beyoujenny Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You are right I am pretty sure you are not the only one.... I struggle with emotional eating as it is usually related to stress or being angry . I know they say to stop at that moment and try to tell yourself it is okay to be feeling the feelings you are feeling , but try to keep in mine the after effects of the binging.... I sent you a friend request maybe we can help each other through this.
  • Lemornhamilton
    Options
    I know exactly what u mean, I used to binge almost everyday for 2 years and absolutely hated it but Ive finally recovered from it by eating 5-6 meals a day and making sure I have a cheat meal once a week to keep me sane lol and yes keeping yourself busy by talking to a friend, cleaning or going for a walk can help take your mind of food. Since I've been eating every 3 hours I'm never overly hungry, and definitely make sure u eat plenty of protein and fiber to help control the urges coz it keeps u fuller longer, and definitely take some chromium, it helps keep blood sugar balanced so u don't crave sugary foods. I hope this helps :)
  • Tina2Cats
    Tina2Cats Posts: 493 Member
    Options

I have problems with binging, too. I can blow it in one sitting on one binge and then, hate myself for it. MFP has groups I am in that hopefully I can get support and understanding for this problem. Like you, I want a normal relationship with food.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/743-binge-eating-support-group

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/1029-emotional-eating

A book I am getting that I hope will help. It should arrive tomorrow.

The Compassionate-Mind Guide to Ending Overeating: Using Compassion-Focused Therapy to Overcome Bingeing and Disordered Eating (The New Harbinger Compassion-Focused Therapy Series) [Paperback]
    Ken Goss PhD (Author), Paul Gilbert PhD (Foreword)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1572249773/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00
  • cm1458
    cm1458 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    I used to struggle with this, after i went through severe restriction diet. It is possible to recover (I did!) but it takes a lot of work. I recommend finding something to keep you busy so you are less likely to binge. and keep an eye on how much you are eating. I didn't get professional help, My family doesn't believe in it. It was SO HARD for me to do it on my own. but It is possible. But if it IS an option for you, I would recommend getting pro help.
  • rougecrayon
    Options
    Tell your parents about your problem. Let them know you know it seems silly, but hide the snacks! Tell them to lock it up! Hide it in another room! Whatever helps. Since I left my parents house and stopped buying crap I have been doing so much better! I wish I asked my parents earlier to just hide the stuff I couldn't resist!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Certainly not alone, I have issues both with BED and bulimia. I have binged the last few days, though not as badly as I used to last year, but certainly getting to 4000 calorie days. For me, most of it is emotional I think, though at times it can be triggered by hunger. If I feel aimless, or bored, or stressed, I end up wanting a lot of sugary foods, all the things that should be had in moderation. I am an all or nothing person by nature(was anorexic in my past), which doesn't help as it means that I get days where I want to just eat something of everything in sight... as if I have to have it all at once lest I don't get enough time for another chance. It is that sort of mentality for me.

The only things that have helped me so far are making sure to get some exercise soon after I get up, (as I always seem to overeat when I do not exercise) trying to occupy my mind with something else, not keeping sugar based foods in my home(though this does not help if the urge to binge is intense as then I end up just buying in a lot of binge foods) and not mentally banning anything from my diet. I find my worst binges come when I tell myself I need to 'eat clean' or cut out all the 'bad' stuff or when I pressure myself in any area of my life.

I also think that when we reach a place of self love, genuine self love, or at least, self respect, the binging will go away as our desire to keep ourselves healthy and happy, will overpower any urge to escape into food.