Need to increase Protein

2»

Replies

• GenieBB
    GenieBB Posts: 52 Member
    i agree with switching out the slimfast. I used to use it constantly but its all sugar and carbs. No good!
    Get a low sugar high protein meal replace shake, so many are out there now, hard to suggest one since looks like you are in the UK. Syntha 6 by BSn is great, anything whey protein by BSN. they actually taste good and can mix with water even.
  • jackie2866
    jackie2866 Posts: 62 Member
    Chobani Plain Greek Yogurt has something like 18 grams of protein in it. I add Fiber One cereal to it for another 60 calories. So for 160 calories, it is a filling breakfast with protein and fiber :)
  • jamimari777
    jamimari777 Posts: 101 Member
    Protein powder helps me make up my protein. It took trying several brands before I found one that I like.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Try some nuts! Easy on-the-go snack. Happy Day! Jools

Nuts are over 50% fat. I wouldnt scoff them if you intend to lose weight.

I scoff almonds, walnuts, cashews, etc. like it's my business. But then again I eat 45% of my daily cals from fat ;-)
  • MariaLivingFit
    MariaLivingFit Posts: 224 Member
    Plain Greek yogurt
    whey protein powder mixed with unsweetened almond milk
  • Sari723
    Sari723 Posts: 10 Member
    I just discovered pure protein bars have a new "soft baked" variety. Low sugar and has 17 grams of protein per bar. Plus they taste like candy bars which is amazing.

I also use EAS Carb Control Shakes for protein when I am on the go. Or whey protein powder if I have more time. Slim fast does have a high protein variety but I think it tastes pretty nasty in comparison to the regular slim fast.
  • karensdream
    karensdream Posts: 135 Member
    Most of the posts here have been spot on with suggestions. I would re-inforce the need for an alternative protein powder that is a whey isolate, There are many out there, Those canned supplements are usually rubbish...high carb with limited protein. Beans and legumes are an excellent and easy source of protein. One thing I like to do is keep roasted chickpeas on hand for snacking, It's low fat, high fiber and protein packed. Drain and rinse a can of chickpeas, spread on baking sheet, drizzle with oive oil and whatever savory seasonings you like, and roast until browned and crunchy. Even kids like them! If using a non-flavored protein powder, there isn't much you can't add it to. I add it to a baked oatmeal recipe, and it's almost like bread pudding,. Throw in some raisins or dried fruit of your choice, and it's divine.
  • NyimaR
    NyimaR Posts: 108 Member
    I love Linda McCartney Sausages and Burgers though they can be pricey, they have less fatty gristly feeling than beef burgers.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Hi!

My coach told me to put a teaspoon of gelatin (powder) in my smoothies or even in my tea to add more protein to my diet.
    It may sound weird, but it does actually help...

Just drink the drinks soon after preparing them otherwise you'll end up with tea jello ;)

Good idea but not suitable for vegans or strict vegetarians.

For the OP, I agree with those who say to replace the Slim Fast with a protein shake or bar. Slimfast isn't the best nutrition out there.

I had to look into alternative protein as I don't eat meat. Protein powders, eggs, protein bars, yogurts, chickpeas, beans/legumes, broccoli, quinoa, etc are all good choices. Cottage cheese is good as well if you like it.. Just keep an eye on the sodium! Edamame is a source as well... Same with all those meat alternatives out there (there are some good ones and some bad ones).

As others have already mentioned nuts and nut butters are great for protein as well. They do have fat in them hut it is a healthy fat.
  • Kashi Go lean crunch cereal (9G protein) I add 1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder, and use unsweetened almond milk

Overnight oats (oatmeal with berries, greek yogurt, a little almond milk, protein powder refrigerate overnight)

hard boiled eggs.
    Cook up some turkey breasts and cut them up for snacks
    tuna salad (sub non fat greek yogurt for mayo)
    egg white proteins can be added to many dishes to up the protein content.
    They are expensive and nasty, but I often use the protein shots (26G nearly 100% protein) to get my macros in line for the day.
  • stormtruck2
    stormtruck2 Posts: 118 Member
    Any receipe that you use that calls for mayonaise, use plain greek yougurt. We use it in tuna salad with baby spinach and onion. Fantastic. Also for chicken/turkey or egg salad.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Try some nuts! Easy on-the-go snack. Happy Day! Jools

Nuts are over 50% fat. I wouldnt scoff them if you intend to lose weight.

They are a healthy fat.... And dietary fat doesn't make you fat. Excess calories do.
  • Valera0466
    Valera0466 Posts: 319 Member
    Beans of any kind have protein. Find the ones you like best and use them in place of meat in your meals.
  • Betty_Canada
    Betty_Canada Posts: 85 Member
    I'm sort of in the same boat.

I can eat meat, but eggs and mornings and I Do Not Happen. The smell of egg yolk makes me nauseous for some reason. (Besides which, I don't digest them well.) Mornings are more of a sausage and toast-like object thing for me. Google "Low Carb Comfort Food Cookbook Best Whole Wheat Bread" and check out the recipe on Google Books. The stuff is 6g of protein a slice, primarily based on almonds and if you are gluten tolerant, a fantastic alternative to "normal" bread. It's rich and nutty and earthy and just fabulous toasted.

I'm still hunting for a non-sucky commercial protein powder without any artificial sweeteners, but I have found that the Quest Protein Bar at 20g of protein and 14-18g of fibre in a 60g bar is rapidly becoming a staple in the pantry. They come in 12 flavours - 6 are sweetened with Sucralose and six are sweetened with Stevia (if you are very sensitive to artificial sweetener.)

In the meantime, I use 100% whey protein isolate (unflavoured, unsweetened, just straight up naked isolate) and mix it with frozen berries and yogurt. I've been buying it from Bulk Barn, but Presidents' Choice has two pound tubs for $40 (the bulk stuff is $25/pound), so I'll give that a try. A scoop (30g, about five tablespoons) is 27g of protein with virtually no carbs.

I bought a little tiny container of chocolate milk; I figure I'll try throwing in a scoop and shaking the bejeebers out of it. Worst case scenario I'm out a 325ml bottle of milk and a protein scoop - but if it works, it'll be 39g of protein in something I can carry around with me. The 37g of carbs is a little high, but if I use it pre-workout, I'll burn most of it off.

Oh, and don't fear the nuts! While technically they're rather high in fat, fat isn't what makes you fat, and nuts are generally a good source of Omega 3s and protein, so it balances out. Fat provides satiety value, so the nuts you snack on post workout mean you're not starving all the way to dinner. Nuts are the awesome. Just be aware of potential peanut allergies in coworkers and fellow gym rats before bringing them along.

If you can handle cheese, hard cheese is also a good source of protein, I always keep garlic sausage and marble cheese in the fridge as my go to after work snack, along with a few of the dilliest pickles I can lay hands on.

Hoping that helps.

=Betty=
  • Wow. I am definitely going to look into the protein shakes as i use slimfast as a meal replacement (and quite like them)
    As for the gelatine -as yet i haven't tried this (only because i haven't got any)
    Everyone seems quite torn on nuts - i know that the fat is better for you but i would need to pre measure rather than leave the bag in my desk
    Veggie replacements I use alot but as the only veggie in the house i struggle to cook only the one portion (so end up with the same meal for a few days - my food diary may seem repetetive but it is for this reason)
    I love the sound of the chickpea recipe (i love these & butter beans and black eyed beans and so many more)
  • FlowmO
    FlowmO Posts: 6
    @braveheartfit :

Hi!
    Sorry for the late reply - I'm not so great at this part of MFP...

The gelatin helps me a lot, because I stay full a lot longer than when I don't put some protein in my smoothie.
    I also really like the idea that it is a natural product instead of proteinpowder which always makes me wonder what's in it.

Good luck with it ^_^

[yes, it's not suitable for vegans/vegetarians, i know, I used to be one...]