Weight Training and Weight Loss

Options
I recently added weight training to my weight loss regime. So recent in fact that I couldn't get out of bed this morning without a spring loaded launcher. Every muscle in my body aches. I can do cardio for days on end so this is all new to me. My question that I pose to you on the boards is when does the hurt end and does the weight training benefit as much as a good treadmill, walking, etc, workout that I presently do 5 days a week?

Thanks for your input!! New kid on the block...

Replies

• stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    appreciate the soreness! lol switching things up avoids plateaus. You can do cardio forever because you're used to it. Once you start doing an activity long enough that even at a high intensity you're not getting sore anymore, try something new :wink:

weights every day probably isn't a good idea and you can always do cardio on 'off' days.
  • kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I don't know about u but i got so much that I'm doing with exercised i'm wondering if I'm training right.
  • badloki13
    badloki13 Posts: 15
    Options
    I wish I could be sore from weight training. Trust me, I am not bragging at all. I am no weight lifter but since I started the gym I go to, I have been doing weight training every other day and I have yet to be really sore. I have always heard that if you're not sore, you're not doing it right. I'm lifting as much as I can lift, which, I will admit, isn't much but I have added on weights since March 5, 2010 (when I joined) still nothing.

The woman who 'trained' me on how to use the machines told me if I did 20 minutes of cardio after weights, it would reduce the soreness. I suppose that is true so maybe you should try that. I also heard 20 minutes in a steam room after a workout reduces soreness as well. I do that too sometimes.
  • spacie
    spacie Posts: 82
    Options
    Resistance training increases youyr metabolism so dont quit and soon you will see results. Also, rather than doing few reps of a high weight, do loads of reps of a low weight in order to tone your muscles.
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    The soreness is good. A lot of people are worried about packing on muscle mass but you shouldn't worry about it unless you are also doing high caloric intake. Adding muscles can be good because they make it easier to fight off the fat. You don't have to do heavy weights just keep the weights light and do about 3 reps. Don't workout the same muscles everyday. If you work out you upper body one day take the next day off. Over time the soreness will go away and the weight training gets easier. Good Luck!
  • saintdee
    saintdee Posts: 8
    Options
    Thanks for your input, appreciate it so much. I do 20 minutes cardio (treadmill) 3.8-4.0 mph then head into weight training then crunches. I don't want muscle, just want to be a lean mean fighting machine. Hubby was proud of me for going last night.... I also do 40 minute walks during the week, which I LOVE, try to do 15 minute or less mile, it's so hard though. Any shoe recommendations? Someone said that Brooks and Asics are the best.

Your thoughts?
  • saintdee
    saintdee Posts: 8
    Options
    Also, keep up the good work kellygirl, wow, I hope and pray it's me showing the weight loss you have one day. Awesome.