Good walking shoes?

Options
I need some good shoes for walking. I hate wearing shoes i always have, my mom said i never wanted shoes on when i was little and i still don't, so i own 2 pairs sandals(yes i even wear them in the cold) and 1 pair of slip on skechers shoes that are not very comfortable, i only have them to wear when it snows so i don't have to hear everyone say how crazy i am, i hear it all the time. IIt drives my husband crazy that i almost always have my shoes off, i even take them off when i am driving. Anyways back to my point, a friend and me have been taking our kids on walks almost everyday and i have been saying i need to buy some regular shoes because sandles are not that comfortable to walk a long distance in. But today i really realized i have to go get some, we went on the march of dimes walk today and walked 6.2 miles and my feet are a little sore. So does anyone have some recommendations on shoes that are comfortable to walk in.

Replies

• WrittenInRed
    WrittenInRed Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It all depends on your feet. Are they wide or narrow? Do you have high arches? If you have high arches you need extra cushion for more support. If you have low arches you do not. What is comfortable for one person may or may not be comfortable to you. I recommend going to a store that specializes in Athletic shoes and having them help you pick out the shoe that will be right for your feet.
  • Ninaad
    Ninaad Posts: 28
    Options
    Can't go wrong with Nike. Even though they probably make walking shoes, I would suggest running shoes. They have great support in them, but look for sales because they can be a little high priced. I think it's worth looking into at least. Many women like New Balance shoes if you're not a nike fan. Easy Spirit brand makes shoes that are geared more towards walking also.
  • Amanda_Bridges90
    Amanda_Bridges90 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Nike's. They are a little expensive, but they're worth it. I know when I was pregnant (I gained 60 lbs I was HUGE && my feet swelled a lot) I wore Dr. Scholl's (Spelling) && I got them from Wal-mart. They were AMAZING!
  • weidner
    weidner Posts: 127
    Options
    Can't go wrong with Nike. Even though they probably make walking shoes, I would suggest running shoes. They have great support in them, but look for sales because they can be a little high priced. I think it's worth looking into at least. Many women like New Balance shoes if you're not a nike fan. Easy Spirit brand makes shoes that are geared more towards walking also.

Can't go wrong with these suggestions!!!! Great response!:flowerforyou:
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I also agree with New Balance- it's a great brand, not terribly expensive, but still a really good walking shoe.
  • mspraul
    mspraul Posts: 21
    Options
    Nike, New Balance, Saucony, Asics, Reebok... They are all good brands and make a wide range of running / cross training / walking shoes. But they all have a different fits that works/doesn't work for different people. I'm a big fan of Nike, Saucony, Adidas and Ryka. I can't wear New Balance to save my life, no matter how many times I try on a pair at the store. However, my husband and a few other folks I know swear by New Balance because they fit their feet well -- and they can't stand the fit of Nikes.

The bottom line is you should take some time to go to a decent athletic or shoe store that has a good selection of various brands and just do a bunch of trying on to compare and contrast. More than likely, you are going to find a particular brand that really works for you (right amount of cushion in the heel, good support, room in the toe bed, etc.) And make sure you try on your regular size and a 1/2 size bigger -- I almost always go a bit bigger on athletic shoes, especially for Nike and other brands that can run true-to-size or a bit small.

Lining up a bunch of different shoes and trying on is going to be the best bet to finding something you'll ultimately be happy with.

Mel