Best Heart Rate Monitor

Options
I've trying searching but I can't find this topic on here so sorry if it's a duplicate.

I'm thinking about getting an HRM (and possiblty a pedometer for work) but I have no idea what I should be looking for. I would prefer something I can wear easily throughout the day but that's all I know.

Any advice??

Replies

• jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    HRM just for cardio e excise. Polar FT4 or FT7 are popular

Pair it with a fitbit for daily activity. Look on eBay for cheap used ones.
    Try searching again- there are zillions of posts like this ( not being rude- just trying to let you realise ther are loads of posts for you to look at)
  • MrsJBro
    MrsJBro Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I agree about the Polar FT4 and FT7 being popular. They're very user friendly, and Polar straps work with almost every heart-rate compatible cardio piece in the gyms (something Garmin and Pro-Form cannot boast). I've had an F4 for the last 5 years, love it! Use it everytime I workout. It so nice knowing exactly how many calories I burned.
  • NLKatherine
    NLKatherine Posts: 37 Member
    Options

Try searching again- there are zillions of posts like this ( not being rude- just trying to let you realise ther are loads of posts for you to look at)

I know there are a lot of posts about HRM's but they all that are coming up when I search are questions about accuracy and specific brands, I couldn't find one about which one people like - I'm not saying it's not there but I couldn't find it. MFP's search tool could use some work.
  • kaavery120188
    kaavery120188 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I've heard great things about Polar. I just purchased a HRM off of amazon.com from Timex. Works really well.
  • tlaker
    tlaker Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    get the FT4 polar....from amazon, was $70 when i bought mine & cheapest i've found. I love mine! i wear it at least 5 days a week and its been going strong for about a year now! So happy with my purchase and the band around my chest is comforable too. Hope this helps ur decision!
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options

Really glad to see someone recommend that combination as that's exactly what I'm hoping to have after my birthday in two weeks. :-) I already have the FitBit and someone will get me the FT7 then. :-)
  • estilljs
    Options
    Do you ever have a problem with it not registering your heartbeat? I get 00 sooo much..Have to stop and start it a million times to get it to register, and then sometimes it goes to 00 during my workout and doesn't count cals!! I've changed batteries, cleaned everything and it still does it...Just wondering if it's just me.
  • Marlene10025
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 and LOVE IT! I, too, use it everytime I work out. I've had a Timex and didn't like it at all. The Polar is way more accurate! I've never met anyone who doesn't love their Polar!
  • Olectra
    Olectra Posts: 21 Member
    Options

I use a Polar FT7 and a FitBit One... LOVE LOVE LOVE the combination and MFP links up with the FitBit Dashboard so you don't have to double enter anything. :)

If you decide to use these, let me know if you have any questions. You can add me if too.
  • eliwill
    Options
    I have the FT40...got it on Amazon for $99. I like that it also keeps track of fat calories. Good luck. Hope you find what you are looking for.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    Do you ever have a problem with it not registering your heartbeat? I get 00 sooo much..Have to stop and start it a million times to get it to register, and then sometimes it goes to 00 during my workout and doesn't count cals!! I've changed batteries, cleaned everything and it still does it...Just wondering if it's just me.

Is it tight enough? Did you wet it before you put it on?

OP-I've had a couple

Timex IronMan-liked it, felt like it said I was burning more than I thought I was, the watch didn't fit my wrist well (too large)

Polar FT4-Love it! Works well, the strap was comfy no issues. Very straight forward, easy to use and you can see your heart rate and then switch to the time or the calories burned with ease

Garmin Forerunner-got it for Christmas, I like it but I don't love it like I thought I might, but I've only used it a few times so I'm getting used to it still. Not as straight forwarded as my Polar. I do like that you can download it to their website and see everything but I don't like that you can't see it all while you're working out OR right after. Keeps track of miles run (outside).
  • Olectra
    Olectra Posts: 21 Member
    Options

Make sure the contacts that touch your chest are wet (on the strap). I put mine under water before putting it on and do not have that problem anymore.
  • eliwill
    Options
    do you moisten the back of the band that goes around your chest? Hmmm? That's the only thing I can think of.
  • ls_66
    ls_66 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I've had my Polar F7 for almost 1 year.... have had two issues 1) the web synch cradle died on me after only 4 months, it took Polar 4 weeks to send me a replacement 2) watch battery went out after 6 months ... it was supposed to last close to 1 year.
    If I had to do it all over again I would probably get the Motorola MOTOACTV with chest strap.. a little more expansive but GPS enabled so if you do outdoor activities it's a great tool, also you can load music on it so that you don't have to carry around an mp3 player
  • SVMR17
    SVMR17 Posts: 33
    Options
    Estilljs --- Mine always goes to 00 and stops working for a bit -- almost every time I use it. Still love it though. I gave up on my Fitbit after having to re-order three times because they stopped working.
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I have the FT40...got it on Amazon for $99. I like that it also keeps track of fat calories. Good luck. Hope you find what you are looking for.

I have this one too. ADORE it.
  • ameline7
    Options
    Well all I can say is stay away from the mio max, I got it at my local big five and after two weeks it malfunctioned constantly. It said that the monitor area was wet and I could not get it to take my heart rate. And when I could take my heart rate from it it would typically give me a reading about 10 points higher than what the machine would give me. The lady at the store said that the strapless monitors have problems like this relativity often.

Hopefully the FT7 I got to replace it works well D:
  • faceoff4
    faceoff4 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I have tried every brand under the sun and I have been using HRM's for 10+ years. Polar is the only brand that is consistent and their user interface is excellent. The FT4 is a great model to start with and all the FT series are excellent. Good luck
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I've read Timex always reads way high, especially for women, so I ditched my Timex and got a Polar FT4. The Polar is much easier to use, and the calories are more in-line with everything I've read online regarding weight/expenditure and so on. I knew there was no way I was burning 1487 calories in an hour like my Timex said. ;)

I've also read several studies that say, when compared with lab results, the Polars read about 9% higher than the actual lab results where they strap a million things to you to get an accurate burn. I subtract 10% from my final reading when I input my calories on MFP, just to be safe.
  • slimfitnessmoms
    slimfitnessmoms Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I have a Women's Polar FT40! I love it. I had a New balance and had to take it back after only a few weeks! So I definitely recommend Polar.