The skinny on hula hooping for fitness

Options
http://www.ehow.com/how_4739594_hula-hoop-fitness.html

With a regular kids hula hoop you can burn 200 calories in 30 minutes of hooping (continuous). With a weighted fitness hoop you can burn 400 calories in 30 minutes according to my web searches. This is good news, I LOVE HULA HOOPING!

Replies

• Jax67
    Jax67 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I spend more time bending over to pick the damn thing up again ......... i suppose that's a workout in itself eh!! lol
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Did you find an estimate of the cost of chiropractic care needed following 30 minutes of continuous hula hooping for someone over 55? :wink: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Seriously, in addition to burning calories, it probably couldn't hurt your waistline and abs either.
  • PecanTan
    PecanTan Posts: 47
    Options
    I spend more time bending over to pick the damn thing up again ......... i suppose that's a workout in itself eh!! lol

I almost fell out my chair when I read your response. Too Too Funny and yea you are right it's a workout also!!! LOL
  • ainslieglen
    ainslieglen Posts: 110
    Options
    Is it possible to hula hoop in a chair??? Just asking...LOL:noway:
  • LHNichols
    LHNichols Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    And I bursted my lip when I tried it :-)
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    And I bursted my lip when I tried it :-)

Sorry to hear that. I have to ask the question that all are wondering....HOW? (does one split ones lip hula hooping)???
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I used to LOVE attending hoola hoop class,unfortunately my new gym doesnt do one. Its really fun,and once you get into it a great way to exercise. I think the main things Iearned was not to rotate my hips in a circle, but go from side to side, or rock forward and back :)
  • feeny
    feeny Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    The hula hooping on the wii fit is good too. Not sure how many calories it burns, but my abs always feel it the next day.
  • LHNichols
    LHNichols Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Ha - I thought it sounded SO fun and went to a class at the gym that had already started and tried to just do what everyone else was. They used the hula hoops for all kinds of stuff, rotated it on shoulders, overhead, etc. Wasn't as easy as it looked and after it bonked me and bursted my lip, I just left to do the elliptical cycle and sauna -- less adventuresome but no blood. :-)
  • TheSpicyMermaid
    TheSpicyMermaid Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Just bought muh hoop!!
  • Glitter_pumpkin
    Options
    You actually can hula hoop in a chair if it's a backless chair, it just takes practice :) And when you start dancing with your hoop, it can burn 600 to 800 calories an hour.
  • RooMcDermott
    RooMcDermott Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I love my weighted hula hoop! :love:
  • p1nkpr1ncess
    p1nkpr1ncess Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Oh wow I used to be Hula Hoop Queen when I was in primary school! Haha!!

AND my fiance came home with one today for the kids to play with! Bargain! Going to get myself on it tomorrow when everyone is at work and school hahaha!
    -x-x-