PROTEIN and DIET with Cal count??

Options
HI this is something I have been wondering about... doing MFP is great and with all the kind en motivating words I do believe Ill get there.. now... I am trying to eat really healthy and stay with my goal.. now I dont want to loose my muscle but want to loose weight and DO NOT WANT my metabolism to get slower and my body to go into starvation mode.. so someone told me by eating a lot of protein for your snacks exp will keep you full and also keep you from going into starvation mode... would someone shed some light onto the subject? THANKS.......

Replies

• mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,688 Member
    Options
    Eating protein will help you to maintain the muscle you already have while you lose fat. Protein definitely makes a difference in how I feel. What I love about MFP is that I record everything I eat then i am able to look at my diet objectively and figure out what works best for ME. I record every day even on high calorie days and low protein days. So there is truth in what you have heard. Stick around. I don't have a bunch of terrific links for you but I'm sure someone will come along with something. In the meantime I recommend looking up IIFYM, road map ( here on mfp) and the group eat, train, progress.

Here is a link that helped me lots:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,688 Member
    Options
    Also lift weights to prevent losing muscle. I don't because I have an injury, but I should do more squats and lunges while I lose:p
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Protein has nothing to do with starvation mode.

You need protein for your muscles. You should be trying to preserve muscle mass while dieting by getting sufficient protein and strength training.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Usual rule of thumb is 1g per pound of lean body mass. You can get away with far less or far more than that.
  • dez06
    dez06 Posts: 12
    Options
    THank you so much.. I will have a look at that link and all the feedback has been helpfull.. My new moto is: Keep it up and you will keep it OFF... :)
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Edited because I think you already get the point.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    For info about your macros (proteins/fats/carbs) - check out this link. It will give you the formula to figure out your #s and also how to custom change them in MFP:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

For more information about fitness and nutrition, I highly suggest checking out and joining this group:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress

Read all the stickies. It's great information to know.

And here's an additional link to give you an idea about what happens if you don't get enough protein in your diet:
    http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-protein-deficiency.htm
  • dez06
    Options
    That is the GREAT thing about MFP... so many GREAT people that gives you advise and motivation.. THANK YOU GUYS....
    I now add a protein shake in the morning to my breakfast that has high Protein and low carbs... It tastes great and will also add some s-training to my weekly routine too... feel so good today as I have lost another kilo since my last weigh-in and now see that leaving all the cake and lollies is paying off... And drinking alot of water is second nature to me now... :)
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Usual rule of thumb is 1g per pound of lean body mass. You can get away with far less or far more than that.

What is lean body mass exactly?
    I weigh 135 (5’6.5”) and am at about maintenance. I try to get between 100 and 120 G's of protein
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Protein has nothing to do with starvation mode.

You need protein for your muscles. You should be trying to preserve muscle mass while dieting by getting sufficient protein and strength training.

Very well said!!!

Protein will help preserve your muscles while eating at a calorie deficit. It's a little more difficult to gain muscle while on a deficit. Eating enough carbs will also ensure you're using carbs for energy during workouts and not forcing your body to convert the protein in your muscles into energy.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options

I weigh 135 (5’6.5”) and am at about maintain ends. I try to get between 100 and 120 G's of protein

Lean body mass is your weight minus your body fat.

So if you have a body fat percentage of 20% and you weigh 120 lbs then 24 lbs is how much body fat you have. 120 - 24 = 96. 96 lbs is your lean body mass. Eat 96 g of protein.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I haven't done my body fat yet. I guess I should.
  • dez06
    Options

I weigh 135 (5’6.5”) and am at about maintain ends. I try to get between 100 and 120 G's of protein

Lean body mass is your weight minus your body fat.

So if you have a body fat percentage of 20% and you weigh 120 lbs then 24 lbs is how much body fat you have. 120 - 24 = 96. 96 lbs is your lean body mass. Eat 96 g of protein.

Thanks guys I have not done that yet but will get onto it and find my lean body mass and my body fat percentage.. my gym has a thing that works it all out and will let you guys know... I am just glad to know that Protein is not my enemy... :)